Another Wedding Noob looking for advice

slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins
edited April 17, 2009 in Weddings
Before all of you wonderful wedding photographers roll your eyes, please hear me out.

A friend of mine (that's always how it starts, isn't it?) has asked me to shoot her daughter's wedding. I am not a professional photographer and I have no desire to get into the wedding photographer business. My friend and the daughter both know that and accept that...and they want me anyway. (That both thrills me and scares me half to death!)

The daughter just wants a very casual backyard wedding. She wants to save the money that Dad would spend on a wedding and use it to buy a house, which I think is really a pretty smart move. They don't care about any of the usual wedding bells and whistles. In fact, the daughter said she didn't even WANT a photographer because she hates having her picture taken. Mom (my friend) said, oh no...we will get some pictures! They asked me take them because the daughter knows me and is comfortable with me taking the wedding pics.

I have explained that I'm just a casual photographer--I WANT to be good, but I don't have the equipment or experience to be as good as I want to be yet. I explained that they may get some good shots, but most of them will probably be 'Mom' shots--those good enough for Mom, but nothing close to professional. They don't care. They are just happy someone will be there to take whatever they can get.

I have been reading just about everything you guys post to this section so I can learn everything I can. I do want to be as prepared as possible. You have all posted such great advise and I have been very thankful for the chance to read it ahead of time.

My biggest problem...the wedding will be OUTSIDE in the Texas sun at 3:00 in the afternoon in May. The bride will be wearing a white dress and the attendants will be wearing dresses that are a shiny silver fabric. ARGH!!!!! I'd really like to do a good job for them, but I think the lighting for this would give even experienced professionals some fits. I desperately need some advice on how to get the best shots I can with that full sun. (LOL--Please don't advise me to run away as fast as I can...these are my closest friends and I have already made the commitment to them.) I'm praying for a cloudy day!

I have a number of reflectors and diffusers, but I probably won't have an assistant to help hold them. I do have a flash attachment with diffuser and I know how to dial down the flash so I can use it for fill. Other than that, I don't know what to do. Even my local professional photographer friend just groaned when I told her when/where the wedding is. (She offered to help me, but she also has a wedding the same day.)

I'm open to any advice you can give me and I eagerly await anything you have to offer. Thanks in advance!

Sherry

Comments

• fmkjrfmkjr Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited April 17, 2009
    slpollett wrote:
    Before all of you wonderful wedding photographers roll your eyes, please hear me out.

A friend of mine (that's always how it starts, isn't it?) has asked me to shoot her daughter's wedding. I am not a professional photographer and I have no desire to get into the wedding photographer business. My friend and the daughter both know that and accept that...and they want me anyway. (That both thrills me and scares me half to death!)

The daughter just wants a very casual backyard wedding. She wants to save the money that Dad would spend on a wedding and use it to buy a house, which I think is really a pretty smart move. They don't care about any of the usual wedding bells and whistles. In fact, the daughter said she didn't even WANT a photographer because she hates having her picture taken. Mom (my friend) said, oh no...we will get some pictures! They asked me take them because the daughter knows me and is comfortable with me taking the wedding pics.

I have explained that I'm just a casual photographer--I WANT to be good, but I don't have the equipment or experience to be as good as I want to be yet. I explained that they may get some good shots, but most of them will probably be 'Mom' shots--those good enough for Mom, but nothing close to professional. They don't care. They are just happy someone will be there to take whatever they can get.

I have been reading just about everything you guys post to this section so I can learn everything I can. I do want to be as prepared as possible. You have all posted such great advise and I have been very thankful for the chance to read it ahead of time.

My biggest problem...the wedding will be OUTSIDE in the Texas sun at 3:00 in the afternoon in May. The bride will be wearing a white dress and the attendants will be wearing dresses that are a shiny silver fabric. ARGH!!!!! I'd really like to do a good job for them, but I think the lighting for this would give even experienced professionals some fits. I desperately need some advice on how to get the best shots I can with that full sun. (Laughing.gif--Please don't advise me to run away as fast as I can...these are my closest friends and I have already made the commitment to them.) I'm praying for a cloudy day!

I have a number of reflectors and diffusers, but I probably won't have an assistant to help hold them. I do have a flash attachment with diffuser and I know how to dial down the flash so I can use it for fill. Other than that, I don't know what to do. Even my local professional photographer friend just groaned when I told her when/where the wedding is. (She offered to help me, but she also has a wedding the same day.)

I'm open to any advice you can give me and I eagerly await anything you have to offer. Thanks in advance!

Sherry

Are you asking about the ceremony or formal pix [portraits]?

Is there any chance they are renting a gazebo or tent?

[I live in the northeast so I cannot understand not having provisions for rain. :-) ] We get a handful of sunny days with no cloud covering.
    dr.Frank

The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Psalms 19:1
    We now need to not destroy it and capture its beauty for all to behold.

http://www.kendralla.com
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2009
    I think I have the formal pics covered (literally). There is a small covered area (with nice backgrounds) near where the actual ceremony will be. I'll be using that for all the group shots of the wedding party & families. The ceremony itself is out in the full sun--no cover. In case of rain (we don't get that much here, but you never know), they will try to crowd all the guests under that very small covered area. Then I have a problem having room to shoot the formals!

I'm going to try to talk them into renting some type of cover to provide shade and help me out a little.

Thanks,
    Sherry
  • fmkjrfmkjr Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited April 17, 2009
    slpollett wrote:
    I think I have the formal pics covered (literally). There is a small covered area (with nice backgrounds) near where the actual ceremony will be. I'll be using that for all the group shots of the wedding party & families. The ceremony itself is out in the full sun--no cover. In case of rain (we don't get that much here, but you never know), they will try to crowd all the guests under that very small covered area. Then I have a problem having room to shoot the formals!

I'm going to try to talk them into renting some type of cover to provide shade and help me out a little.

Thanks,
    Sherry
    I cannot offer anything from experience (we do not have the problem of too much sun where I live :-) )

This is only a thought (but it might create strange skin tones) is to use a polarizer. (although it is tough using one if you use a hood).
    dr.Frank

The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Psalms 19:1
    We now need to not destroy it and capture its beauty for all to behold.

http://www.kendralla.com