Options

Issues with photo security

CadenLozaCadenLoza Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited July 2, 2016 in SmugMug Support
I know that when you're accessing your website on Smugmug that you can't right click to download, BUT if you're on a phone through a web browser you can hold on the photo and save it to your phone! Is there anyway I can stop this? or disable the mobile site entirely?!

Comments

• Options
    ShinryaShinrya Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2016
    What mobile browser are you using that allows this?

I just tried saving an image on my own site through mobile Safari and it doesn't work. Pressing and holding for the menu and then "Save Image" only saves a blank white file to the camera roll. So looks at least like it's doing it's job on iOS.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,239 moderator
    edited July 2, 2016
    Right click protection prevents right click save as but it doesn't stop anyone from taking a screen shot to save a copy of your photo. That's the nature of sharing photos on the web.

From the help page How can I protect my images?
    Block access to originals (and larger display sizes)

A good print requires high resolution, and you can choose not to display your high-resolution original images and SmugMug's largest display sizes.

Enable right-click protection

All subscribers except Basic account holders can foil right-clicking on their photos on a gallery-by-gallery basis. You can find the Right-Click Protected option in Gallery Settings > Photo Protection.

It still allows the user to right-click, save as... (after they see a copyright notice dialog), but the image that gets saved is blank.

FYI: SmugMug's right-click protection does not protect an image in non-gallery places such as forums, blogs, or Share emails. To keep your images out of forums and blogs, block external links (see above).

Right-click protection is a deterrent for image theft, but it shouldn't be considered foolproof. To truly protect your images, lock galleries with a password or apply a watermark and disable your originals.
    --- Denise
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2016
    Right click protection prevents right click save as but it doesn't stop anyone from taking a screen shot to save a copy of your photo.

Think of right click protection like a lock, it only keeps out the honest people. Watermarks also help to a point.

There are several sources to help you track your photos (Tineye, copyscape, google reverse image search).

If you're taking images for personal use, follow the advice in the link that Denise provided, it will help. If you're doing this for a living, file your copyrights and vigorously defend it.
    Steve

Website