Options

Reno Ballon Races 2006

pete wpete w Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
edited September 16, 2006 in Holy Macro
Taking Pictures of balloons is great fun and particularly easy when you have bright blue skies in the background.

The Balloon race consists if two BEE shaped balloons that take off first and place strategic crosses on the ground, all the other Balloons take off and try to drop their markers as close as possible to the cross.

Here is a pic of the Bee Balloon taking off94990919-M.jpg

Then we have mass ascension

94990931-M.jpg

The festivities begin with a 5.00am Dawn Patrol.

94990939-M.jpg

More can be found here

http://www.wraight.smugmug.com/gallery/1885403/1/94990918

Enjoy.
Pete W
Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again.
Henri Cartier Bresson

www.pete-wraight.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    botanistbotanist Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2006
    94990939-M.jpg

Great shot, would like to have seen more of their reflection in the foreground water/pond/etc, but still awesome :): I also dig the perspective on Mass Ascension! thumb.gif
    Smug: botanist.smugmug.com
    Photog: www.Exifocus.com
    Work: www.WorkSafeBoredom.com

"The worst photographer is the one who never takes a picture."
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2006
    :): very nice photos !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2006
    pete w wrote:
    Taking Pictures of balloons is great fun and particularly easy when you have bright blue skies in the background.

The Balloon race consists if two BEE shaped balloons that take off first and place strategic crosses on the ground, all the other Balloons take off and try to drop their markers as close as possible to the cross.

Here is a pic of the Bee Balloon taking off

The festivities begin with a 5.00am Dawn Patrol.
    More can be found here
    http://www.wraight.smugmug.com/gallery/1885403/1/94990918

Enjoy.

Hi there Pete....... it's hard to describe a hotair balloon race to someone who has not been to one...... to even grasp the size of these Balloons is something else..... photo's make them look so small yet they are so big.

So magnificent colours and shapes to be found at these events, and who would think that such a silent sport could be so much fun :D

Thanks for sharing your images......... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited September 16, 2006
    Awais,
    Thank you for your comments
    Pete W
    Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again.
    Henri Cartier Bresson

• Options
    Skippy,
    Agreed sometimes it is difficult, we have guests this year and until they actually see over 100 balloons going into the air at once it is something that is very difficult to imagine.

Thanks for looking in.
    Pete W
    Henri Cartier Bresson

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    pete w wrote:

94990931-M.jpg

Enjoy.

I opened this post & just said aloud " WOW ...look at that !"
  • Options
    Thanks for the note.
    I agree but due to low light i was a little to close with the 50mm to get it all in.

Maybe next year i will find a different shooting spot a little further back.

Thanks again.
    Pete W
    Henri Cartier Bresson

• Options
    Thanks Gus,
    Gus wrote:
    I opened this post & just said aloud " WOW ...look at that !"

Yep, quite an impressive sight, i believe there were about 115 balloons altogether and i managed to capture about half of them here. An awesome sight and i cannot wait to till next year.

Thanks for your comments.
    Pete W
    Henri Cartier Bresson