Off camera firing options for SB600

Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
edited July 31, 2006 in Accessories
I have a Nikon D50 and my wife just ordered me a SB600 as a gift. Since I don't have commander mode, what good options are there for firing this flash.

I think it has an optical slave, which is one option. But I'd like the ability to use it in a single flash setup off camera without firing the on camera flash.
I've seen the $30 ebay radio slaves, and I know about Nikons commander modules. But I'm looking more toward something like pocket wizards which can also be used to fire my Alienbee in other setups. Do pocket wizards have a hot shoe type adaptor?

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited July 27, 2006
    Yes. The pocket wizard will work on a shoe.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Yes. The pocket wizard will work on a shoe.

Any suggestions how? The pocket Wizard site only shows the ability to connect with PC or Household plugs.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    radio slaves
    I have emailed several manufactrurers of radio slaves and I have not recieved one reply....pocket wizard being the first I contacted. I did this due to the fact that I want to downsize my studio stobe set up to using 4 Sunpak 622's and these powerful stobes are easily packed into the outdoors for formal lighting where there is no electricity.

I explained this to all of the companies I sent inquiries to.

It might mean a trip to radio shack and building a plug converter........

Good luck and keep us posted.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    I have emailed several manufactrurers of radio slaves and I have not recieved one reply....pocket wizard being the first I contacted. I did this due to the fact that I want to downsize my studio stobe set up to using 4 Sunpak 622's and these powerful stobes are easily packed into the outdoors for formal lighting where there is no electricity.

I explained this to all of the companies I sent inquiries to.

It might mean a trip to radio shack and building a plug converter........

Good luck and keep us posted.
    I was listening to the podcast from studiolighting.net, and they interviewed a guy who goes by "Strobist". his Flikr website has a nice discussion on using Speedlights as studio lights. THere is a nice thread there about some radio slaves with a hot shoe connection that you can get off of eBay for about $25. It seems cheap enough to try and several people have replied about having success.

The site also had a link to Paramount cords which makes a Hot Shoe to Pocket wizard cord for $45. BandH also has this Hot Shoe to PC cord which might do the job as well for $10. and I'm guessing with an adaptor, this is a cheaper option. I'm not sure what inputs are accepted by PW.

I'm ordering the eBay slaves tonight. If they don't work out, I'll just save my money for a set of PWs.