Options

Light Room tips??!!

HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
edited August 10, 2015 in People
In another post there seem to be mostly Light Room users. I'm not a LR user so I can't be of use but those of you that are how about some tips for those users that might be struggling.

Comments

• Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2015
    Charles, I learned LR by watching LOTS of YouTube videos...not proud but that's how I learned it. The best series of instructional videos IMO are by Anthony Morganti.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bECi0ZQAB34&list=PLllFqBuTM0WKjdQXb5XXKEMQmjseqic1J

He makes the assumption that you are just starting in LR and takes it from there. This would be the best tip I could give someone wanting to learn LR. Another interesting tutorial series is provided by Serge Ramelli who is a photographer from Paris, France.
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2015
    Looking for info for others, I'm a dedicated Capture one user and will not change to LR. Thanks for the link as I'm sure others will find it useful and I do have a copy of LR and will browse it.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2015
    What kind of struggling, Charles? Basic editing is exactly like Adobe Raw - sliders are the same, and even the layout is. I'll admit, it was pretty intuitive to me once I realised that not all commands are available in each module. So Library lets you sort etc, but not do much editing; develop lets you edit your heart out, but you can't sort or change the order of images etc. Play with some of the presets and watch the sliders to see what they do - that's a great way of figuring out how different choices change different things. Ditto clicking the "auto" button in the "basic" panel (in develop) - it won't always be right, but it WILL let you see what's happening. Then you can start diy the way YOU want it.
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2015
    divamum wrote: »
    So Library lets you sort etc, but not do much editing; develop lets you edit your heart out, but you can't sort or change the order of images etc.

But you can, Diva. You can drag and drop images in the Library module.
    If you want to retain that order, just renumber the images in the re-ordered
    sequence.

LR will not let you drag and drop images if they are images in a folder that has
    a sub-folder unless you go to Library in the menu, click it, and uncheck
    "Include photos from sub-folders". Then you can drag and drop.

There are also several ways to change the sort order in the Library module.
    Down at the bottom of the page there is a sort choice.

Personally, I number all of my images in a date/number sequence (2015-08-10-01)
    and change the order by dragging and dropping and then renumbering.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/