Options

Musician Portriats

PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
edited May 26, 2015 in People
I would like some constructive critiques on the photos below. Don't hold back.

GregAdams-10-L.jpg

GregAdams-1-L.jpg

GregAdams-20-L.jpg

GregAdams-19a-L.jpg

GregAdams-28-L.jpg
David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
My Website
Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2015
    Please note this only my opinion. :D

The first three are good attempts at a more creative portrait but the shadows are the main killer for me.

#4 and #5 are good solid images but don't say musician.

Sam
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2015
    I'm gonna out and out disagree with Sam: I LOVE the first three, and the shadows are what make it for me!!! (Sorry Sam - you know I love ya, so we an agree to disagree :D )

I like that you went into the city - getting a good NY vibe from them. What sort of music? That will make a difference as to whether or not they "work", as you're trying to reflect HIS brand in the shots. Interestingly, at first I saw #3's shadows a US flag - if that ISN'T a vibe you want to incorporate, it might be something to consider (although I love the shadows, as mentioned - and that one is actually my favorite!)

#5 actually looks more like a cinematic actor shot - it could have used some more light in his eyes, but it works as is. I might crop some of hte background; it's a little sharply in focus and "environmental" for my taste, although it might work for him depending on how he plans to use it.

I"d crop #4 in from cam right - the solid graffiti on cam left is more neutral, whereas the CLEAR writing on cam right pulls attention from him a bit.
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2015
    Sam wrote: »
    Please note this only my opinion. :D

The first three are good attempts at a more creative portrait but the shadows are the main killer for me.

#4 and #5 are good solid images but don't say musician.

Sam

Thanks Sam. Can you please be more specific? What about the shadows bother you? (just so I can improve)
    My Website
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2015
    divamum wrote: »
    I'm gonna out and out disagree with Sam: I LOVE the first three, and the shadows are what make it for me!!! (Sorry Sam - you know I love ya, so we an agree to disagree :D )

I like that you went into the city - getting a good NY vibe from them. What sort of music? That will make a difference as to whether or not they "work", as you're trying to reflect HIS brand in the shots. Interestingly, at first I saw #3's shadows a US flag - if that ISN'T a vibe you want to incorporate, it might be something to consider (although I love the shadows, as mentioned - and that one is actually my favorite!)

#5 actually looks more like a cinematic actor shot - it could have used some more light in his eyes, but it works as is. I might crop some of hte background; it's a little sharply in focus and "environmental" for my taste, although it might work for him depending on how he plans to use it.

I"d crop #4 in from cam right - the solid graffiti on cam left is more neutral, whereas the CLEAR writing on cam right pulls attention from him a bit.

Thank you.

The shadows on number 3 are from the fire escape.
    He is a folk/rock singer. He performs downtown NYC but also travels to Boston and down south for gigs as well. He started with country music but wants to get away from that so we went with the city look.

Good points on 4.
    My Website
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2015
    Thanks Sam. Can you please be more specific? What about the shadows bother you? (just so I can improve)

I like the shadows in 1-3. My only nit in 3 is it might be good to have his eyes lit up instead of in shadow, or at least have that version as a choice for the client.

The others are more classic portraits, nothing wrong with them but to me not as strong considering the purpose. These are more individual personal shots so they work in that regard.
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2015
    Nice shots. I really like your pics on your website!
  • Options
    CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2015
    Love these! In #1 I would prefer a crop to the chest not the belly. #2 I love the exaggerated shadow--makes him a legend before his time! #3 I love the striped shadows which evoke the U.S. flag. Great set!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Options
    CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2015
    ... #4 the crop to the belly really works great with this pose, and I love the subtle side lighting. #5 the lighting is too flat and even for my taste. But truly, this is nice work. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Options
    Reflections By BrianReflections By Brian Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited May 25, 2015
    I like them all except 3. 1 and 2 are my favorites and I think the shadows add to the feel of them. The dark shadows in 3, right across the eyes, and the hot spot on the nose and cheeks kind of ruins it for me. I feel like the eyes get lost,and the bright nose and cheeks distract a bit. I like the idea and the artistic feel though.
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2015
    #2 is money, imo. I might be a musician and if I were paying a photog, I'd buy #2 for sure. #5 also speaks to me but as a "back of the CD" type picture or purely for the digital press kit...

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr