Options

A halt in production

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited February 25, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
The pirating of many of our forum's images to another site is tremendously disturbing to me.....as I'm sure it is to most of you who are affected. Until this issue is resolved, I will no longer be posting pictures to the forum.

I am in no way familiar with what, if any, technology can be employed to stop this illegal thievery. I can assure you, though, that Smugmug had best address this issue promptly and effectively. Google, as well, had best jump on this thing as quickly as possible.

Service providers, such as those we have in this case, can, in many cases, be considered culpable and held accountable when they fail to take appropriate action after being notified that illegal activities are occurring in their systems.

I have considered our forum to be almost a household member for a long time. To cease activity here is not something I want to do. There are, however, bigger players involved here who can make stronger protective moves than we individuals can. I urge them to proceed post haste in addressing our problem.

Tom
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2015
    I agree 100% Tom.

I also will not post anymore images to Dgrin until this issue is resolved, as this is the well from which our images are being stolen.

I am in the process of filing a copyright complaint through Google, but I feel SmugMug should jump on this with all their muscle. I believe this situation may have a cascading affect on participation, and the next logical step.

I've been here a good while, but this situation is intolerable.

I do sincerely hope SmugMug opens their eyes and tries to get out in front of this issue.
    Randy
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2015
    Jeez Tom...

Anything here look familiar?

I'll give you a clue ---> Another site that steals all our images posted here :splat

http://simplenewz dot com/2014-10-07/Mainstream/feed/16427

Copy and past this link, but delete the word "dot" and the spaces, replace them with "."

Don't want to post a hotlink here, as it helps the site.

This is VERY disconcerting!
    Randy
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,925 moderator
    edited February 3, 2015
    Hey guys,

Let's try to keep this in perspective. If you stop posting on Dgrin, the bad guys win and we lose a valued source of feedback, entertainment and social contact.

This is the third time I remember seeing systematic copying of Dgrin. The first was a crude, apparently Arabic site, and complaints to the ISP had it taken down in about three weeks. The second was another Blogspot site. That one took a bit longer--Google moves slowly, but eventually it did respond. The latest incarnation appears to be the same douchebag that we saw a few months ago.

Some things to keep in mind:
    • The current blog is not selling your pics. It is just attempting to defraud Google ad-sense. It pisses us off, but it's probably not really affecting your business. The pics that appear on it are the same as the ones you post here, so the same size, quality and watermark protections apply.
    • Legally, there is probably not much SmugMug can do. The copyright belongs to the poster, which is what we want, so DMCA claims have to come from the poster. If you want SmugMug to go up against Google in court, you better be prepared to pay a lot more for your subscription next year.
    • Technically, I'm not sure that there are any good solutions. What's out there is out there for all to see and copy. SmugMug might be able to implement a whitelist for external sites, but that would not be a trivial undertaking, and it would depend on third-party sites including referral headers, which is not mandatory. It would also force customers to maintain the lists. I think they have better things to do.
    • It's not as fast or convenient as you or I would like, but Google does provide a way to assert copyright claims. What I find frustrating is that there doesn't seem to be a way to report the systematic copying we're seeing. Nevertheless, we did manage to destroy digitalgrinphotography.blogspot.com last year, and I don't doubt that eventually we will do the same again.
    Look, I hate these dudes as much as you do, but I'm pretty sure that the only hits this blog gets are from their own bots committing click-fraud. I don't think Google likes that much, and eventually they'll shut it down. We can help by filing DMCA complaints daily, which is what I've been doing.

In the meantime, please don't stop posting.
  • Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2015
    I have been considering the same course of action Tom so count me in on the boycott. This is a hard decision to make as I enjoy seeing other's images and drawing inspiration from them. I also enjoy and value the opinions/comments others make concerning my posted images. Over the years many dgrinners have come to be like close friends although I have only met a few in person. Just to stay in touch I may post a protest image periodically.

I have also notified several advertisers on that site that I have done quite a bit of business with that I will cease doing business with them until they stop supporting this pirate.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2015
    Richard wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Let's try to keep this in perspective. If you stop posting on Dgrin, the bad guys win and we lose a valued source of feedback, entertainment and social contact.

This is the third time I remember seeing systematic copying of Dgrin. The first was a crude, apparently Arabic site, and complaints to the ISP had it taken down in about three weeks. The second was another Blogspot site. That one took a bit longer--Google moves slowly, but eventually it did respond. The latest incarnation appears to be the same douchebag that we saw a few months ago.

Some things to keep in mind:
    • The current blog is not selling your pics. It is just attempting to defraud Google ad-sense. It pisses us off, but it's probably not really affecting your business. The pics that appear on it are the same as the ones you post here, so the same size, quality and watermark protections apply.
    • Legally, there is probably not much SmugMug can do. The copyright belongs to the poster, which is what we want, so DMCA claims have to come from the poster. If you want SmugMug to go up against Google in court, you better be prepared to pay a lot more for your subscription next year.
    • Technically, I'm not sure that there are any good solutions. What's out there is out there for all to see and copy. SmugMug might be able to implement a whitelist for external sites, but that would not be a trivial undertaking, and it would depend on third-party sites including referral headers, which is not mandatory. It would also force customers to maintain the lists. I think they have better things to do.
    • It's not as fast or convenient as you or I would like, but Google does provide a way to assert copyright claims. What I find frustrating is that there doesn't seem to be a way to report the systematic copying we're seeing. Nevertheless, we did manage to destroy digitalgrinphotography.blogspot.com last year, and I don't doubt that eventually we will do the same again.
    Look, I hate these dudes as much as you do, but I'm pretty sure that the only hits this blog gets are from their own bots committing click-fraud. I don't think Google likes that much, and eventually they'll shut it down. We can help by filing DMCA complaints daily, which is what I've been doing.

In the meantime, please don't stop posting.

It just appears that every thread on Dgrin is put in their blog-spot. So they are not stealing images, but they are essentially stealing Dgrin. Even the thread complaining about them are showing up on their blog-spot. So it is just a mirror site......a very bad and ugly mirror.....but it seems to just be a copy of Dgrin.

So I would be shocked if there is no recourse for Dgirn......

I googled "visionxmobile blogspot" and clicked on first link that came up.....and the very first post on there is this thread. Strange.
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2015
    I feel Richard is right. If we withdraw all our images not only do the bad guys win but digriners suffer. I think although I will be more careful about what images I upload i.e. kids etc. I will continue to upload in spite of the thefts. I'm sure if dgrin or smugmug could do anything about this quickly they would or maybe are trying to do it. It is unfortunately a new world out there now. No one is safe from these idiots and copyrighted work is being snatched left right and center. Not to say we should take it lying down.. I just don't think not posting is the answer, it just says we quit. Remember je suis Charlie cheerleader.gif
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    I googled "visionxmobile blogspot" and clicked on first link that came up.....and the very first post on there is this thread. Strange.
    lol3.gif That means that we are probably the only people looking at it. But that's not surprising--it's not meant for people. It's meant for bots to defraud Google. Kind of strange that Google makes it impossible to report this kind of behavior. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2015
    lol3.gif That means that we are probably the only people looking at it. But that's not surprising--it's not meant for people. It's meant for bots to defraud Google. Kind of strange that Google makes it impossible to report this kind of behavior. headscratch.gif
    What I don't understand is why many of the clients paying for advertising on this crappy site are so mainstream and big companies. How did they get there...ne_nau.gif I mean... don't they know they are advertising on a scam site?deal.gif
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2015
    lynnma wrote: »
    What I don't understand is why many of the clients paying for advertising on this crappy site are so mainstream and big companies. How did they get there...ne_nau.gif I mean... don't they know they are advertising on a scam site?deal.gif
    Probably not. It's all algorithms, and even the marketers don't understand how any of it works anymore. Still, it doesn't hurt to have advertisers get complaints and pass them on to Google. Hopefully, it will make them more responsive to obvious scams like this one.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator
    edited February 3, 2015
    A couple thoughts. Consider watermarking images you do post. It makes take downs easier for the person making the decision at Google and at the pirate's host easier to side in your favor. Any hot-linking of those pirate sites at Dgrin will only result in additional search bot crawls and up-ranking for those pirate sites. And that is only good for them and bad for us. Please do not post full working links to those sites here.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2015
    David_S85 wrote: »
    And that is only good for them and bad for us. Please do not post full working links to those sites here.
    nod.gif For further discussion I suggest we use ABC to stand for asshat dot blogspot dot com. mwink.gif
  • Options
    The Lazy DestroyerThe Lazy Destroyer Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2015
    Just post your images as a reply in your thread. Make the initial post be "See post below". The blogger site is only pulling the first initial post of a thread from what I can tell.

It's fun to see some of the Photoshopped images people are posting, but honestly it is kind of getting lame having to sift through the joke threads to get to the real stuff. And I doubt the people copying the content even see what gets posted... it's probably all automatic using some type of script or something. So it's not like anyone is seeing the images meant for them.

I understand it isn't Smugmug's responsibility to file the Takedown Requests, but it would be nice for someone to research this issue to see if there is any way on Smugmug's end to prevent this type of automated content theft from occurring. Sadly I doubt there is a way to do this, but if someone at Smugmug could reach out to Google in any way to get their take on it...
    Otherwise, it will be a constant bother here and I imagine people will start posting less and less often. Being a photography forum, it's difficult to ignore your content being copied over... with or without a watermark.
    ____Motoception Photography____
    www.motoception.com
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2015
    Hey guys,

Let's try to keep this in perspective. If you stop posting on Dgrin, the bad guys win and we lose a valued source of feedback, entertainment and social contact...

Richard, no disrespect to you, but to me that's completely backward thinking, unless your SmugMug.
    This theif "wins" if we're goofy enough to keep posting our images for him to steal!

Where are the images being mined from?
    - Dgrin -

SmugMug obviously won't lift a finger to help stop the theft of our (their patrons) images, simply hoping that we will do all of the work to save their forum!

Yes, that also sounds backwards to me.

And your reference that if SmugMug were to bother to get involved, that we would have to pay heavily for that. Sounds like they would get involved if there were (more) money in it for them. That sounds bad on several levels. You might have a short memory. Do you not remember the HUGE rate hike not to long ago? Was that not enough money to try and keep people from stealing images from THEIR forum?

Also, there are now (2) two thief sites (that we know of) that are mining Dgrin.
    Twice the theft. Twice the effort on our part to file copyright theft.
    And remember; as you stated, we should file one image complaint at a time. A lot of my, and others post contained several images. And we're talking about all post for at least (2) two years!!! Now duplicate that effort times two!

Who in the world even knows who's hosting the other theft site that I listed above?
    How do we even file copyright theft to for it?

No, I see a very large issue here...
    Randy
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2015
    Randy,

I agree that theft is a problem on the Internet, but some of the issues are legally complicated. If it were easy for SmugMug to do something, I'm sure they would. It's not clear that they have any legal standing, since posters own the copyright. Also remember that not all the stuff being hotlinked here is hosted by SmugMug.

I looked at the other site you mentioned. They seem to a little more upfront about what they're doing, which resembles the old Internet Wayback Machine. They are making an archive of RSS feeds, including Dgrin and many, many others. However, they do provide instructions for Webmasters to exclude their sites, if they so choose. Don't know whether they really mean it or not. Unlike ABC, they are not concealing the source, but like ABC, they are running ads.

Just out of curiosity, I looked at the profile of the "person" responsible for ABC, username "Muslim." He lists 15 other blogs in several different languages, including Spanish, French and Arabic. I looked at a couple of them, and they all appear to be content lifted in bulk from legitimate forums and plastered with ads. I don't think he could care less whether we are posting photographic masterpieces or recipes for brownies--it's all filler to him.

This is just a low-rent scammer. What pisses me off most is that Google doesn't seem to provide any means of reporting the systematic abuse, although I do believe they will eventually respond to the individual takedown notices. The irony of it is, it's Google that's being fleeced by this guy, not us. He's not selling our pics--or anything else--just engaging in petty click fraud. Eventually, Google will kick his sorry ass out, and he'll be back a week later under a fresh identity. Yeah, it sucks to be used by lowlife like him--and there are undoubtedly others like him that we don't even know about--but frankly, it doesn't rate very high on my worry list. It does worry me that other posters here are worrying about it enough to stop posting, though.
  • Options
    PrevailingConditionsPrevailingConditions Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2015
    I'm with Richard on this one. My day job is managing a bunch of software engineers that do web development. The sort of stuff that they're doing is trivial to do and you can report them and do whatever but another one is going to pop up doing the same. It's the internet version of wack-a-mole. If you're showing your images on the web then anyone with a little technical knowledge can co-opt that image into their own site and you're not likely to know (unless you're somewhat technically savvy and watch your server logs). This applies to images that have "download protection" enabled.

These sites are just grabbing the RSS feeds, extracting the content, and re-wrapping them in their own HTML for display. It's not about the photos, it's about ad revenue, even if it's just pennies per ad. Add enough of those together and they make money.

Furthermore, given the way that Google works, the more links pointing to these sites boosts their relevance. You're actually doing them a favor by providing them hits and link backs.

It sucks but that's life in the internet age. The only way that you can reduce (not prevent) something like this is to limit visibility to only registered, validated, vetted, and authenticated users. That would put a serious crimp in the usability of the site (in my opinion).

Mike
    flickr
    I welcome your feedback, but leave the editing to me - thanks!
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2015
    Richard,

Let me say up front that I have respect for you and have enjoyed our Dgrin friendship.

But, we must live in different worlds (of thinking)

Let me use an analogy to help explain my views:

You go to work. You get your paycheck. You take it to the bank. You deposit your money in the bank.
    You do this on a regular basis. The bank knows you as a patron.
    While you are depositing your money in the bank, you visit with others whom are doing the same.
    You (and they) enjoy talking about how they make their money.

One day you come in and find out that at least two people have been stealing your, and everybody else's money every morning.
    This makes you mad, on several levels.

First:
    Someone is stealing from you

Second:
    The bank knew this and didn't inform you of it. Just letting you continue to deposit your money in their bank, to be stolen (knowingly) the next morning.

Third:
    The bank won't even acknowledge that anything is wrong.

Forth:
    There are some who believe that no real harm is being done since the thieves are buying dentures for all the toothless people of the world (or whatever), instead of spending it on hookers.

First issue:
    I'm against theft and will not support it, directly nor indirectly.

Second issue:
    In my book, this is as bad as the first issue. I find it unconscionable that a company (SmugMug) would know that copyrighted images were regularly being stolen from its members, and did not inform them of such, so that the members could decide if they wanted to continue posting their images only to be stolen. The only explanation I can come up with for this avenue of course is SmugMug did not want their business to suffer. It would seem that the decision was made to this end.

Third issue:
    Basically tied into the second.

Forth issue:
    Even though we don't know this for sure one way or the other; just because the thieves are not out right selling our stolen images, gives me no solace. I'm overboard at THEFT!
    I guess this is a personal issue as to where you draw the line.

To maintain that SmugMug has no legal authority in this issue is not accurate. They do not have legal standing for our copyright, but they most certainly have the legal and MORAL right (and duty) to try and stop said theft from their own websites. SmugMug has the legal and MORAL right (and duty) to inform its members that image theft is regularly taking place on their forums.

That's about the best I can explain it for you Richard.

As you know I've enjoyed Dgrin for a good while, but these issues are not trivial in my book. I hope things transpire so that I will have an outlook that allows me to continue enjoying being a member of Dgrin.
    Randy
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2015
    I'm with Richard on this one. My day job is managing a bunch of software engineers that do web development. The sort of stuff that they're doing is trivial to do and you can report them and do whatever but another one is going to pop up doing the same. It's the internet version of wack-a-mole. If you're showing your images on the web then anyone with a little technical knowledge can co-opt that image into their own site and you're not likely to know (unless you're somewhat technically savvy and watch your server logs). This applies to images that have "download protection" enabled.

These sites are just grabbing the RSS feeds, extracting the content, and re-wrapping them in their own HTML for display. It's not about the photos, it's about ad revenue, even if it's just pennies per ad. Add enough of those together and they make money.

Furthermore, given the way that Google works, the more links pointing to these sites boosts their relevance. You're actually doing them a favor by providing them hits and link backs.

It sucks but that's life in the internet age. The only way that you can reduce (not prevent) something like this is to limit visibility to only registered, validated, vetted, and authenticated users. That would put a serious crimp in the usability of the site (in my opinion).

Mike
    I think that says it all. Yes it does and you are right.. this is a new age.. some parts of it are not so nice. Thanks for the input Mike.thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2015

Mike

We've put a man on the moon. No way will I believe that this technique is unstoppable. This kind of stuff happens all the time, therefore is quite common. Someone figures out how to do something, someone else figures out how to stop it.

That's a big point here. IMHO, SmugMug should be ACTIVELY trying to figure out how to stop it.

To simply say, it's the Internet age, live with it, is IMHO defeatist.
    Randy
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2015
    I agree with Randy's issues with the problem here. But in defense of the technology, it really is hard to thwart. If you want to stop the practice you need to address the financial gain for the theft in the first place. And how internet ads, like AdWords and such, operate is something I know little about. But I guarantee you, if there was no profit in this, it would not be happening.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2015
    Looking through this thread, it's fairly evident that some folks are far more willing to accept piracy of their images than I am. Others, like myself, are incensed to the point of doing whatever they can to thwart the thieves. Whether or not the thieves are making money on the thefts is immaterial to me. I can't abide with theft, no matter how innocuous it may appear to be.

SmugMug, by virtue of accepting my money and providing me access to their forum, assumes a responsibility to protect the sanctity of my photo submissions....to the best of their ability. If they aren't willing to do that, such a posture should be divulged right up front before any money changes hands. To hide behind a veil of " there's little we can do " is preposterous.

To throw up your hands and say, in effect, " well, that's one of the prices you pay for a presence on the Internet " is one of the most absurd positions I can imagine. Such a prevailing attitude does nothing but perpetuate such abuses.

Patents and copyrights are being assailed all over the world. We each have a duty to fight such developments as best we can. Sadly, the only tool I currently have to work with ( apparently ) is the privilege of denying these thieves access to my stuff by ceasing to post pictures.

We each can respond to this situation in a fashion best suited to our individual wants and needs. What's good for the goose my not be good for the gander. Frankly, I'll be thrilled when, and if, I feel comfortable enough to again share my photos with all you great people.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    PrevailingConditionsPrevailingConditions Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2015
    rwells wrote: »
    We've put a man on the moon. No way will I believe that this technique is unstoppable. This kind of stuff happens all the time, therefore is quite common. Someone figures out how to do something, someone else figures out how to stop it.

That's a big point here. IMHO, SmugMug should be ACTIVELY trying to figure out how to stop it.

To simply say, it's the Internet age, live with it, is IMHO defeatist.

Randy,

I appreciate your passion on this topic. I also didn't say that it is unstoppable although that's pretty much the answer from a practical perspective. You could set up an exclusive "walled garden" that severely limits access, but the downside would be the almost certain decline in viewers, posters, and comments. Some might be willing to make that trade, but I would not.

Also, while we're unhappy about these specific sites, what about the others like Pinterest, StumbleUpon, or even facebook that allow users to post links to interesting content? Those sites are probably getting greater gains than these others. Do you not see that as theft as well? What about the options that SmugMug provides explicitly for the purpose of sharing photos?

I will also echo what Randy said earlier, this is a difficult area of law. If I steal money from your bank account, then you won't have it and I will. In this case you still have your photos and these other sites are simply grabbing the link (which leads back to your photo). What has been stolen? That's why this sort of issue falls more into copyright violation than anything else.

Please understand that I'm not trying to be argumentative, but to shed some light on the workings of the web.

Thanks,

Mike
    flickr
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2015
    Randy,

I appreciate your passion on this topic. I also didn't say that it is unstoppable although that's pretty much the answer from a practical perspective. You could set up an exclusive "walled garden" that severely limits access, but the downside would be the almost certain decline in viewers, posters, and comments. Some might be willing to make that trade, but I would not.

Also, while we're unhappy about these specific sites, what about the others like Pinterest, StumbleUpon, or even facebook that allow users to post links to interesting content? Those sites are probably getting greater gains than these others. Do you not see that as theft as well? What about the options that SmugMug provides explicitly for the purpose of sharing photos?

I will also echo what Randy said earlier, this is a difficult area of law. If I steal money from your bank account, then you won't have it and I will. In this case you still have your photos and these other sites are simply grabbing the link (which leads back to your photo). What has been stolen? That's why this sort of issue falls more into copyright violation than anything else.

Please understand that I'm not trying to be argumentative, but to shed some light on the workings of the web.

Thanks,

Mike

Howdy Mike,

Without posting my resume for you, allow me to assure you that this Texas boy knows a bit about "technology".

I was a Lead Network Engineer for, at the time, the cutting edge company that developed mobile Internet service. I just this month finished development and deployment of a commercial website.

On the photography side, I made my complete income from photography for three and a half years.

Now that we know a bit about me, we might be able to agree that I have a bit of knowledge and experience of which I speak.

All the other sites you mentioned are side fodder here, and do not apply to this situation. Those options are for sharing YOUR images. The others are links to your images.

It appears you might not be versed on photography copyright law. As soon as I push my shutter button, I own the copyright to that image. I retain ALL RIGHTS to it unless I grant them away. Part of my legal protections is that nobody may copy my images. (Among many others)

These thieves are not borrowing my images, nor only posting a link to them. They are illegally displaying a copy of my image without my consent.

I noice you did not mention the equally troubling issue about SmugMug knowing my, and others, images were being stolen on a daily basis and made the calculated decision NOT to inform us of the continual theft.

The difficulties of technology have NOTHING to do with this behavior.

If you want to post your images and don't care if they are stolen, that's your business, but make no mistake, allowing image theft hurts us all.
    Randy
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2015
    I have to agree with Randy on this one! Who's to say that a few months down the line when these A$$Clown's blogs are all shut down, that they won't start creating websites that basically do the same thing, and start selling our photos, because all their current advertisers have pulled out? Also, who's to say that they aren't already creating a data base with all the web addresses that the photos they are getting now are linked to for future use? But it has been proven that they are only pulling the first message of every thread, so if you want to post any photos, just create a thread with just text describing the photos, then do a reply to that message and then post your photos. This will work for a while, until they figure out what we're doing and then start pulling all the replies as well.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2015
    Just did a Google search on "How to add RSS feed to blog" and came up with this!

https://www.rssinclude.com/help_support/integrate_into_popular_services/how_to_add_an_rss_feed_on_blogger_blogspot

RSSInclude.com is what they are using. It costs them $69.90 a year to use it, so that is probably why they are using the click through links with every post that they pull in.

I think dGrin should add an option that when starting a new thread, we are given the opportunity to turn off RSS for that thread! Just a thought.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2015
    Now this is the kind of effort I'm talking about:

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1987608&postcount=14

It was just posted in another thread in Other Cool Shots.

This doesn't sound "virtually impossible" as some have claimed.

Actually makes sense. We know the two blogs that are stealing our images. Blogs have IP addresses. Should be simple to block the IP. That's done all the time by network admins.

Point is, why won't SmugMug persue such remedies? Or others?
    Randy
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2015
    rwells wrote: »
    Howdy Mike,

Without posting my resume for you, allow me to assure you that this Texas boy knows a bit about "technology".

I was a Lead Network Engineer for, at the time, the cutting edge company that developed mobile Internet service. I just this month finished development and deployment of a commercial website.

On the photography side, I made my complete income from photography for three and a half years.

Now that we know a bit about me, we might be able to agree that I have a bit of knowledge and experience of which I speak.

All the other sites you mentioned are side fodder here, and do not apply to this situation. Those options are for sharing YOUR images. The others are links to your images.

It appears you might not be versed on photography copyright law. As soon as I push my shutter button, I own the copyright to that image. I retain ALL RIGHTS to it unless I grant them away. Part of my legal protections is that nobody may copy my images. (Among many others)

These thieves are not borrowing my images, nor only posting a link to them. They are illegally displaying a copy of my image without my consent.

I noice you did not mention the equally troubling issue about SmugMug knowing my, and others, images were being stolen on a daily basis and made the calculated decision NOT to inform us of the continual theft.

The difficulties of technology have NOTHING to do with this behavior.

If you want to post your images and don't care if they are stolen, that's your business, but make no mistake, allowing image theft hurts us all.

Randy,

I think it is awesome that you're familiar with the tech. I also agree that this is a copyright issue and needs to be handled in that context. I tried to indicate that in my earlier post, but apparently wasn't successful. On that front, make sure you register so that you get statutory damages in addition to actual damages :D

As for the other "solution" proposed, it will last until they change their IP address. That's something at least. As mentioned, from a web host perspective it's really easy to do, but you're back to playing wack-a-mole again.

It is for this very reason that I never post full resolution images. Sometimes the internet sucks.

Mike
    flickr
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2015
    As for the other "solution" proposed, it will last until they change their IP address. That's something at least. As mentioned, from a web host perspective it's really easy to do, but you're back to playing wack-a-mole again.

It is whack a mole. But big deal. That is defeatism. NEARLY ALL PROBLEMS IN LIFE ARE WHACK A MOLE. Crime fighting, drug problems, investing for the future, identity fraud, heck, most issues at my day job.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2015
    Morning All,

I've kind of been sitting back watching and trying to figure this out.
    I have to say the more I watch and see how this has been handled
    the more Upset and Angry I've become. To me, to not have alerted the
    posters of this egregious attack, is totally unacceptable and borders
    on deception to me. Knowing this has been going on for
    Months and Months, and to not bring this up on each and every forum
    is really bad form. I don't think there are very many that aware of
    what's been going on. I know I didn't know about it until a couple of days ago.

I'm in Total Agreement with all that Tom, Randy, and all the others
    have said in all their well written and stated facts. To see the responses to their
    posts made me wonder at one point, is this the DGRIN that I joined in 2006?
    Some of the replies made me think they'd be good Press Secretary's,
    with the way they've been side stepping this very serious issue.

Also, when I'd seen a very good idea that "the Lazy Destroyer" posted about just
    posting a statement about see post below, then post images in the next post below
    that. I thought that was a very good idea, but it fell on deaf ears apparently, if nothing
    else it would have been a good stopgap and DGRIN/Smug could have taken that approach
    and tell folks that do this until we can get a fix in place. Also, the procedure that Brigster brought
    up sounds like it might be something that could knock this attach out, if nothing else to take into consideration.
    To not do anything or make others aware to me is just really very upsetting and can you imagine some of these images
    being used by who knows who and for what purpose.

You'd certainly think that the "SMUGMUG HERO's" would come to our Rescue on
    this, but ????????????????????????

So, I won't be posting images on here anymore till this is resolved and I urge all the rest
    of the folks to not post either. I've really enjoyed this forum for years, and years,
    but this latest event has made me wonder not only about posting here, but also
    about my Smugmug Membership if they're not any more Proactive than what I've
    seen here.

Kindest Regards,

CK
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited February 5, 2015
    This is a really really tough one for us. There's been a lot of suggestions thrown out, some of them fairly technical and clearly from knowledgable people. I've discussed this with the Operations team to see what options we can explore. Richard's explanation in one of the first posts here is quite accurate. We want to be heroic and we're always trying to be. I want to make it clear: we are not ignoring this issue nor are we just going to sweep it under the rug. The problem is that we're struggling to come up with a solution that will actually work. It's not trivial. It's not easy to solve. There's a trade-off to every possible solution which make most of them very undesireable.

Since the beginning of SmugMug, protecting your photos is extremely important to us (probably the most important thing). We have some of the most advanced privacy controls in the industry to make sure your photos are safe. What makes this hard is that this user is scraping your site rather than stealing it (meaning all the links still go back to your SmugMug page). If he was stealing the images we might be able to do more.

It's may seem simple to block just 1 person from seeing a SmugMug image but it's not. We could ban an IP but then this user will simply change the IP and go again. Bot detection is extremely hard to detect and keep out. They can be using multiple IP's from multiple locations around the world. If we ban 1 IP, it'll just get stolen from another, for example. Additionally, it takes a lot of effort to find the needle in the haystack, only for him to change the IP and force us to do it all over again.

One option would be to disable External Embedding of your images. The images will disappear from the blogspot but that also means they'll disappear from dgrin too. You'll have to link to the images instead of actual embed the images into dgrin. I realize this isn't a very good solution for dgrin since you want to display your photos for people to see and we want them to be seen here.

The best course of action to have the blogspot site taken down is for many many people to complain to Google. SmugMug can add our voice but a mass of people complaining will have much more weight than our 1 voice.

We'll continue to monitor and see if there's any additional steps that we can take.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator
    edited February 5, 2015
    Can we opt to disable Dgrin RSS feeds for say, a week, then look and see if they are stealing the image posts through that method?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky