Options

Grace Cathedral

PrevailingConditionsPrevailingConditions Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
edited February 21, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
I did a kind of mini road-trip on President's day, just sort of wandering around. I ended up spending some time at Grace Cathedral in San Francisco. It's a very cool building and fortunately they allow tripods. In this particular case, I also used a pano head to make sure everything lined up right. I also bracketed everything, but haven't had a chance to really go through all the processing. This is the initial stitch and some quick editing late at night just to see how it would turn out.

I welcome your comments. I'll try to post more when I get time to process and post.

Thanks,

Mike

16391223219_39482cbe66_h.jpg
flickr
I welcome your feedback, but leave the editing to me - thanks!

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2015
    Nice symmetry and light!
    I guess because of the blue window tint, that is what the color of light would be.
    Golden or white would be ideal.
    I would explore monochrome!
    Cheers!
  • Options
    PrevailingConditionsPrevailingConditions Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Nice symmetry and light!
    I guess because of the blue window tint, that is what the color of light would be.
    Golden or white would be ideal.
    I would explore monochrome!
    Cheers!

I'm not sure I completely follow your comment, but yes, the color is largely due to the stained glass windows. The structure itself is mostly grey concrete. I'll probably try monochrome once I get a chance.

Thanks.
    flickr
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2015
    I'm not sure I completely follow your comment, but yes, the color is largely due to the stained glass windows. The structure itself is mostly grey concrete. I'll probably try monochrome once I get a chance.

Thanks.

That was pretty much it.....I will see it from home monitor to be sure.....but don't think blue light is is going well with rest of the scene...JMO....but you can't do anything about it, other than monochrome.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    That was pretty much it.....I will see it from home monitor to be sure.....but don't think blue light is is going well with rest of the scene...JMO....but you can't do anything about it, other than monochrome.

OK, I understand better what you're saying. I actually liked the different colors coming in through the windows while I was there. The sun was to the left of the frame and you can see how the colors are more defined on the leftmost pillars and more diffuse on the right. Overall it gives it the bluish red hue that you see in the shot. There are also some spotlights scattered around the interior. This would probably be better on a cloudy day because the light would be even more diffuse, but it was sunny out on this particular day.

Thanks,

Mike
    flickr
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2015
    Really nice symmetry as already mentioned. I like the potpourri of colors. Having visited A LOT of cathedrals on various trips it is quite hard to get a composition that portrays what you are seeing as you stand there in one shot. This shot really does that well. Nice work.thumb.gif
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    edited February 20, 2015
    Really nice symmetry as already mentioned. I like the potpourri of colors. Having visited A LOT of cathedrals on various trips it is quite hard to get a composition that portrays what you are seeing as you stand there in one shot. This shot really does that well. Nice work.thumb.gif

Thanks Wayne.

Mike
    flickr
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2015
    Nice!

How many images stitched? More than one row?

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2015
    Nice!

How many images stitched? More than one row?

Phil

Just one row, five shots across. The camera was in portrait orientation at 24mm on a full frame camera.

Thanks,

Mike
    flickr