Two weeks with a 50D

arpboyarpboy Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
edited October 28, 2008 in Cameras
Well, I've now had my 50D for about two weeks, and thought I've used it enough to have more than a simple "WOW" opinion.

That said, it's still "WOW!" Some of that is because my previous camera was an XT. Still, I decided that I wanted to test it well, because a week later, I had a wedding to shoot.

Where I live, we had a music/food festival two weeks ago. I thought it would be a good test of low-light capabilities, as well as usability. It passed with flying colors. I shot with a 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS lens -- not the fastest in the world, but it's what I've got. Using that combo, I was actually able to get one of my best shots (straight from the camera, except for cropping):

386970808_C2f8g-M.jpg

I was pretty happy with the shoot. My daughter also shot with my XT.

One feature I've not seen mentioned much anywhere is the same feature that was very helpful for me: if you press in the joystick on the back of the camera, all the major settings show up on the screen. You use the joystick to get to the feature, then spin your small wheel to the setting you want. For fast changes in low light, I found this MUCH easier than remembering to light the top lcd, remembering what button to hit for the setting, then adjusting. With the VGA resolution, it was just a joy to use.

After two nights of shooting at the festival, I was confident enough in the camera to shoot the wedding. I'm still working through my images, and just starting to post them to my site (I don't even have the bride up yet!), but all in all, I was very satisfied with the shoot.

The high-ISO capability let me minimize my use of flash, which was better both for the couple, and to keep a softer look to the images. That huge hi-res screen also helped for quick review (I have highlight clipping turned on, which helps to make quick exposure compensations).

The 14-bit RAW files have let me pull out a lot more detail than I had been able to previously, though I wasn't expecting how much data I stored! It took 4 DVD's to create my photo masters before I started editing.

You can read the spec's just about anywhere, but I thought I'd at least post some in-the-field experiences (even if only for two weeks) with the camera. The ergonomics are well-known from the 40D, although for me using an XT, they were a dream (although I did have a little repetitive-motion pain in my right hand after shooting Friday night and all day Saturday!).

Hope this helps anyone thinking about the camera.

-Richard
6145917_PWdi6#386970808_C2f8g-L-LB

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited October 18, 2008
    Richard,

Thanks for your assessment and the examples. Yes, I imagine the jump from XT/350D to 50D is pretty huge. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    arpboy wrote:
    Well, I've now had my 50D for about two weeks, and thought I've used it enough to have more than a simple "WOW" opinion.

That said, it's still "WOW!" Some of that is because my previous camera was an XT. Still, I decided that I wanted to test it well, because a week later, I had a wedding to shoot.

Where I live, we had a music/food festival two weeks ago. I thought it would be a good test of low-light capabilities, as well as usability. It passed with flying colors. I shot with a 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS lens -- not the fastest in the world, but it's what I've got. Using that combo, I was actually able to get one of my best shots (straight from the camera, except for cropping):

386970808_C2f8g-M.jpg

One feature I've not seen mentioned much anywhere is the same feature that was very helpful for me: if you press in the joystick on the back of the camera, all the major settings show up on the screen. You use the joystick to get to the feature, then spin your small wheel to the setting you want. For fast changes in low light, I found this MUCH easier than remembering to light the top lcd, remembering what button to hit for the setting, then adjusting. With the VGA resolution, it was just a joy to use.

After two nights of shooting at the festival, I was confident enough in the camera to shoot the wedding. I'm still working through my images, and just starting to post them to my site (I don't even have the bride up yet!), but all in all, I was very satisfied with the shoot.

The high-ISO capability let me minimize my use of flash, which was better both for the couple, and to keep a softer look to the images. That huge hi-res screen also helped for quick review (I have highlight clipping turned on, which helps to make quick exposure compensations).

The 14-bit RAW files have let me pull out a lot more detail than I had been able to previously, though I wasn't expecting how much data I stored! It took 4 DVD's to create my photo masters before I started editing.

You can read the spec's just about anywhere, but I thought I'd at least post some in-the-field experiences (even if only for two weeks) with the camera. The ergonomics are well-known from the 40D, although for me using an XT, they were a dream (although I did have a little repetitive-motion pain in my right hand after shooting Friday night and all day Saturday!).

-Richard

Congratulations Richard!!

I just did the same thing, XT to 50D cracked the Box plugged up the lense and shot a football game last night. It was amazing, can't wait till I can shoot some Dance in a Month or so.. Those can't be anything but amazing with the 50D, the kids will love the pictures (Hopefully some parents too)..

David

www.phabulousphotos.com
  • sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2008
    arpboy wrote:

386970808_C2f8g-M.jpg

-Richard

I found your input very helpful as I am considering buying this camera. I am going to look at some of your pictures.
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    I found your input very helpful as I am considering buying this camera. I am going to look at some of your pictures.
    Sheri,

In the next day or so, I will be posting 50D photos from a wedding I helped out on this last Saturday. In the mean-time, you might find this thread useful/informative.

HTH
  • sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    Sheri,

In the next day or so, I will be posting 50D photos from a wedding I helped out on this last Saturday. In the mean-time, you might find this thread useful/informative.

HTH

I would really like to see someone showing the results of low light shooting where you weren't using flash. I have heard this camera is good for that. I want to make sure I have a good camera for those ceremony shots when flash is not allowed, I know part of the equation is having the right lens too.

I have read about many new cameras (not this one) that don't give good results at a higher ISO, so I am taking my time to hear reviews on these new cameras that have just come out.
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    Richard, welcome to the 50D club!:-)
    This camera is a great performer. There are tons of new features I really like and find very useful: live histogram in LiveView, highlights optimization, very usable high ISO, increased resolution, better screen.. The list goes on and on...
    One thing - make sure to get PS CS4 (or LR2), DPP doesn't come even close (that is, if you shoot more than a few frames per week).
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • billtaichibilltaichi Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    Well after seeing the positive reviews on the 50D I went for it and I now have my first DSLR! So after 2 days all I can say is Wow!

What an awesome camera, but the 28-135mm kit lens leaves a lot to be desired, first thing I need to do is replace that. I am thinking the 50mm 1.8 will give me some sharp photos and not break my wallet (since it just took a big blow) Any ideas on my next lens? I like to do wildlife, macro and abstract stuff.
    Remember wherever you go, there you are.
    edited October 28, 2008
    billtaichi wrote:
    Well after seeing the positive reviews on the 50D I went for it and I now have my first DSLR! So after 2 days all I can say is Wow!

What an awesome camera, but the 28-135mm kit lens leaves a lot to be desired, first thing I need to do is replace that. I am thinking the 50mm 1.8 will give me some sharp photos and not break my wallet (since it just took a big blow) Any ideas on my next lens? I like to do wildlife, macro and abstract stuff.
    And so the vicious cycle begins:D Welcome to the club.

I may be wrong, but I think you will find that "wildlife" photography and "macro" are pretty much mutually exclusive - not going to find a single lens that will do both.

Macro Suggestions:
    • EF 100 f/2.8 - love this lens
    • I've heard some good things about the EF-S 60 as well
    • The EF 24-105 f/4L has a "macro" capability but it's really not much more than a decent "close focusing" feature. But, it might be good enough.
    • You can a "reversing adaptor that allows you to mount the 50mm f/1.8 backwards on your current lens - that will get you some seriouis close focusing capability
    • Or, you can get a set of extender tubes

For wildlife you'll need long focal lengths - the longer the better. Choose your posion and don't say you weren't warned about the costs!:Drolleyes1.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited October 28, 2008
    ... I may be wrong, but I think you will find that "wildlife" photography and "macro" are pretty much mutually exclusive - not going to find a single lens that will do both.

Macro Suggestions:
    • EF 100 f/2.8 - love this lens
    • I've heard some good things about the EF-S 60 as well
    • The EF 24-105 f/4L has a "macro" capability but it's really not much more than a decent "close focusing" feature. But, it might be good enough.
    • You can a "reversing adaptor that allows you to mount the 50mm f/1.8 backwards on your current lens - that will get you some seriouis close focusing capability
    • Or, you can get a set of extender tubes
    For wildlife you'll need long focal lengths - the longer the better. Choose your posion and don't say you weren't warned about the costs!:Drolleyes1.gif

While I agree with the recommendations above, there is a way to use long lenses "and" get near macro (sometimes even "true" macro).

I purchased a Canon 500D close focus diopter in 77mm and I use it with both the 70-200mm, f2.8L and the 70-200mm, f4L (with an adapting ring). The quality is very high but it is a handful. The diopter lens can be used with even longer lenses, but I have no experience with them.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • billtaichibilltaichi Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    Thanks for all the input.

I am definitely looking at getting the 100mm 2.8 and would like the 70-200 2.8 and eventually a 300 or 400mm prime for wildlife stuff.

The 50mm 1.8 should be good for now to see some sharper images than the kit lens is giving me.

So now I will have fun figuring out the infinite number of ways to spend my money. mwink.gif

One of my next purchases will need to be a decent tripod. I know that I would like a Gitzo tripod with RRS ballhead but if I go that route it will be a while before I can get it...decisions decisions....
    Remember wherever you go, there you are.
    edited October 28, 2008
    billtaichi wrote:
    The 50mm 1.8 should be good for now to see some sharper images than the kit lens is giving me.
    Should, but Canon QC on this lens has been less than stellar. I got lucky with mine (which I have since sold) and so have others. But, I've been reading about other folks being not so lucky. Hope it works for you.