Options

How long should watermarking take?

SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
edited November 17, 2014 in SmugMug Support
I've received the message to be patient and that the images will be watermarked while I browse, but that was two days ago. I've just done it again, but how long should it take?
John

Comments

• Options
    McKsauceMcKsauce Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited November 17, 2014
    Hey John,

It should only take a few minutes to start watermarking the gallery. Something to keep in mind is that the watermarking setting inside the Gallery Settings only applies to future images uploaded to that gallery. If you enable watermarking, the watermark will not be applied to any existing images in the gallery. You'll need to use the Watermark tool itself. To do this go into the Organizer. Select the gallery, then click 'Select All' or select the images you wish to watermark. Then click Tools (Wrench) and Watermark. Now you're in the watermark tool. From there you can apply or remove watermarks.

Here's our help page on watermarking: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93343

Cheers
    ----

SmugMug Support Hero -

----
  • Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2014
    I understand that changes to watermarking settings in the Gallery only affect future uploads - I'm just wondering what the logic of this is. I can't think of a situation where you have photos in a gallery with one watermark and then you want a different watermark for future uploads. It just doesn't make sense ... to me. Why not watermark all the existing photos and any future uploads at the time of changing the gallery setting. Having to do two processes is cumbersome, and as I said, I can't think of a situation where you wouldn't want the watermark to be consistent throughout a gallery. There may be a reason ... but I sure don't know what it could be.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2014
    I've done that, McKsauce - twice now - and still no watermarks.
    John
  • Options
    annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 17, 2014
    John, can you provide the link to the gallery in question? If it's an unlisted gallery that you don't want to share, you can email us at help (at) smugmug.com and we will have a look.

Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2014
  • Options
    annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 17, 2014
    John, thanks for the link, that helps! I see you limited the maximum display size in this gallery to Large. However, the watermark you are using is set to only apply to XL and larger display sizes. You will need to change that setting (in account settings > business > branding > watermarks > manage; set the Smallest size to L or smaller), then re-apply the watermark using the watermarking tool in the Organizer.

Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2014
    Thanks for your help, Ana. I'll do that now.
    John