Options

Not LIsted

ImSoSmugImSoSmug Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited November 17, 2014 in SmugMug Support
Is there a way to limit access to a folder, via Security, to only those I provide the link, but without NOT LISTED being displayed over everything?
Thanks,
John

Comments

• Options
    annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 16, 2014
    John,
    If you make a folder unlisted, the galleries/folders within won't be visible to your viewers. You will need to make the folder public in order to share it. You can, however, share a link to an unlisted gallery, just make sure the link you share contains the gallery ID at the end.
    You might want to check what your visitors see by logging out and then viewing your site.

Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2014
    annnna8888 wrote: »
    John,
    If you make a folder unlisted, the galleries/folders within won't be visible to your viewers. You will need to make the folder public in order to share it. You can, however, share a link to an unlisted gallery, just make sure the link you share contains the gallery ID at the end.
    You might want to check what your visitors see by logging out and then viewing your site.

Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero

Ana,
    Thank you for the reply. I do understand the use of Unlisted, however is there a way to suppress the "Not Listed" wording over each of my Folders and Galleries? It seems to be confusing to the intended viewers. Some have emailed me saying that they wouldn't even try to open a gallery because they thought the working meant that it was restricted.

My other problem is I want to be able to restrict viewers only to the address of the listing that I give them. I don't want them to have access to listing prior to that in the thread. At least the way I understand it, I would also have to restrict all listing above that restricted one to prevent access from the lower listing?

I don't know if you're familiar with Phanfare, but there you could assign a "Site" to an Album and viewers were limited to that site only. Access could be gained, but only by manipulating the address bar and most views are not aware of that.

Hopefully I'll get the hang of it sooner or later.

Thanks,

John
  • Options
    annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 16, 2014
    John, I'm not sure you looked at your site logged out. Your visitors will never see the "Unlisted" badge on your folders and galleries as they won't see those folders/galleries at all. Only you can see unlisted folders/galleries (and "unlisted" badges) - when you are logged in as the account owner.

If you want to restrict access, you can put a password on a gallery. In the gallery, go to customize > gallery settings > security and privacy > password. You can also put a password on a folder, so visitors will have to enter the password to view any content of that folder.

It will be much easier to help if you include a link to your site in your posts. Ideally, put that link in your signature so it's visible on all your forum posts. Click the clipboard in the upper right corner > edit signature, and add the link to your site there.

Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2014
    Hi Ana,

I realize what I was doing wrong. I thought that by creating another tab and accessing the gallery without signing out from the previous tab and by using another tab it would be the same as accessing without being signed in.

I just tired signing out of the tab first, then re-accessing it via the link and I was NOT able to move up the thread. Sorry to have been such a hard head, but I feel much better now about site security now.

Thanks for all your help,

John