Image numbers

BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
edited November 19, 2014 in SmugMug Support
I found today that image numbers are no longer added to keywords by default. This is a real issue for me as it is my goto method for identifying pictures. A person could look at a pic, note the image number and the gallery, and I could send a full size image to him or her with a minimum of hassle.

What irritates me even more is that images l uploaded 10 days ago all still have the image numbers.

Comments

• pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2014
    BigAl wrote: »
    I found today that image numbers are no longer added to keywords by default. This is a real issue for me as it is my goto method for identifying pictures. A person could look at a pic, note the image number and the gallery, and I could send a full size image to him or her with a minimum of hassle.

What irritates me even more is that images l uploaded 10 days ago all still have the image numbers.

Can't answer your question, but I'd suggest changing your method. Keywords aren't really intended to be used that way. You're much better off adding those image numbers to your captions. This can be done automatically with various tools like Lightroom. Keywords should really be repeatable... not one image per keyword.

I took a quick look at your site and found that you have a lot of strings of words and numbers appearing as a single keyword. This destroys the true functionality of the keywords feature, allowing your visitors to find other images with the same topic/location/whatever you tagged.

It's tough to go back and fix years of captions/keywords though. So if you just want to make sure the filename keywording bug... errr feature... is still turned on, check under Discovery/Search in your account settings.

Again, I recommend turning it off and making sure you are using meaningful keywords for every image. I'm actually surprised image numbers from filenames are still being turned into keywords. I thought that was the result of a bug that was fixed years ago.

Dave
  • WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2014
    I don't think you're understanding why he wants this. I get it-- there are reasons (depending on how you use your site) to want unique image numbers to show up as keywords. And yes, it used to be on by default, which most people thought was crazy. However, If the default behavior has changed, there should have been a huge announcement, as a lot of unhappy people are going to find this out months down the road & be disgusted at the amount of work they have to go back & do. Anytime a default behavior is changed by SmugMug, it should be a major announcement. But anyway, if that's not what happened, I don't know why BigAl is suddenly having this issue.
    pilotdave wrote: »
    Can't answer your question, but I'd suggest changing your method. Keywords aren't really intended to be used that way. You're much better off adding those image numbers to your captions. This can be done automatically with various tools like Lightroom. Keywords should really be repeatable... not one image per keyword.

I took a quick look at your site and found that you have a lot of strings of words and numbers appearing as a single keyword. This destroys the true functionality of the keywords feature, allowing your visitors to find other images with the same topic/location/whatever you tagged.

It's tough to go back and fix years of captions/keywords though. So if you just want to make sure the filename keywording bug... errr feature... is still turned on, check under Discovery/Search in your account settings.

Again, I recommend turning it off and making sure you are using meaningful keywords for every image. I'm actually surprised image numbers from filenames are still being turned into keywords. I thought that was the result of a bug that was fixed years ago.

Dave
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2014
    I don't think you're understanding why he wants this. I get it-- there are reasons (depending on how you use your site) to want unique image numbers to show up as keywords. And yes, it used to be on by default, which most people thought was crazy. However, If the default behavior has changed, there should have been a huge announcement, as a lot of unhappy people are going to find this out months down the road & be disgusted at the amount of work they have to go back & do. Anytime a default behavior is changed by SmugMug, it should be a major announcement. But anyway, if that's not what happened, I don't know why BigAl is suddenly having this issue.

The idea is to grab keywords out of filenames. Number were never intended (as far as I know) to be included. I understand that people use keywords in all different ways. I'm just suggesting there may be better options. When someone clicks a keyword under a photo, it doesn't make much sense for only that photo to show up. It's confusing and pointless. Now the real solution would be for filenames to be searchable but that doesn't seem to be something smugmug is interested in.

I firmly believe that filename keywording is a bad feature and should have never been implemented because it causes so much junk to be indexed. Just do some random searches on smugmug and you'll see what I mean. It should definitely be turned off by default. But I agree that if smugmug changed the feature, they should let everyone know.

Dave