Help Needed ASAP: Keywords, downloading multiple photos

DalyDaly Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited August 1, 2009 in SmugMug Support
I have several galleries of my homeschool group's photos. There are over 4,000 photos total. I have gone through and tagged the keyword 'DVD' to the 300 photos that I want download to make a movie to show at a party we are having soon.

I thought that if there is some way that I could make a copies of all these 'DVD' photos and put them in a new gallery labeled 'DVD Movie' ...then I could have the 60 families go look at that new gallery and make sure their kids have photo representation.

Furthermore, I thought if I had all the photos in one gallery, then I could use Album Fetcher to download the photos to my computer.

I have not figured out how to use Album Fetcher to only download certain keyworded photos. (I'm not even sure if the application has that capability).

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions that would save me time on accomplishing my task.
Dalynn
(sort of new to Smug Mug)

Thanks so much!

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2007
    Where's your site? ear.gif
  • DalyDaly Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2007
    Dalymont.smugmug.com

But the galleries are password protected to respect some families issues with privacy of photos on the web.
    I can pm you the password if that is required for your help..?

Dalynn
    edited September 8, 2007
    okay, well I just downloaded each and every photo individually.
    Took over an hour.
    Does anyone know a better way for next time?
    Help a gal out?

Or can someone at least tell me there is not a better way right now and the only way is too download each photo individually?
  • PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2007
    I would do a keyword search, switch to "all thumbs" mode, then save the page to your hard disk (using the "html only" option). Then, using notepad, you can bulk change the -Ti in each image URL with -O. Then resave the page to your hard disk (using the "webpage complete" option). This should save all of the original photos to a subdirectory on your hard disk.

[Edited: Jan 31 2008]
    edited September 9, 2007
    Thank you so much! This did indeed work. It takes a while to download all the photos but I was expecting that. At least with this method I don't have to download each individual photo!
    Much Thanks!
    Dalynn
  • bobsobobso Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited January 31, 2008
    Daly wrote:
    Thank you so much! This did indeed work. It takes a while to download all the photos but I was expecting that. At least with this method I don't have to download each individual photo!
    Much Thanks!
    Dalynn

This is exactly what I have been looking for for a VERY long time. However, after the step where you replace the "-Ti" with "-O", I am unable to duplicate the process as I just don't see the connection between resaving a changed notepad file back to the harddrive and initiating a download from Smugmug. Is there a step I'm missing? Could you redescribe the process in more detail, step by step?

I'm hoping I can get this working until (keeping my fingers crossed) AlbumFetcher adds a keyword function!

Thanks!
    Bob
    edited January 31, 2008
    bobso wrote:
    However, after the step where you replace the "-Ti" with "-O", I am unable to duplicate the process as I just don't see the connection between resaving a changed notepad file back to the harddrive and initiating a download from Smugmug. Is there a step I'm missing? Could you redescribe the process in more detail, step by step?

The file with the -Ti should be an html file that loads the thumbnails from the smugmug servers.

Html files don't normally open in notepad, so to edit the file, you have to right-click and choose "Open with"

Once you change the -Ti to -O (and don't rename the file), it will remain an html file, but will load the original photos from smugmug, instead of the thumbnails.

After saving the file from notepad, re-open it in IE or Firefox.
    edited January 31, 2008
    PBolchover wrote:
    The file with the -Ti should be an html file that loads the thumbnails from the smugmug servers.

Html files don't normally open in notepad, so to edit the file, you have to right-click and choose "Open with"

Once you change the -Ti to -O (and don't rename the file), it will remain an html file, but will load the original photos from smugmug, instead of the thumbnails.

After saving the file from notepad, re-open it in IE or Firefox.

Wow. Thank you for the quick reply and that helped quite a bit. I'm almost there. I see now that once the page reloads each picture appears as a thumbnail but when I "right click" "save picture as" it saves it to my harddrive in the original file size. Cool ! Now, the last piece of the puzzle is that your original reply said to "resave the page to the harddisk using the "save all file" option. I don't see that option. Where do you find it? As of now I can save each one individually as I mentioned above, but not as a group. Can you elaborate further?

Thanks!
    Bob
    edited January 31, 2008
    When you have the file open in Internet Explorer / Firefox, go to the File / Save Page As menu in IE / Firefox.

Type in a new filename, and ensure that the "Save as type" is "Web Page Complete".

This will save the html file on your hard disk, and will also create a folder called "filename_files" that contains all of the images used in that html file. This folder should contain all of the original copies of your files. Copy them to somewhere safe.
    edited January 31, 2008
    Got it !!!!

Thank you so very much for your knowledge and helpfullness! You are going to make a lot of the parents on my son and daughters soccer teams very, very happy!

Bob
  • darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    Man -- what a hassle (although a clever workaround, to be sure).

It would be nice if SmugMug just had a "download this (album/keyword search result) as a zip file" option.

Oh -- if you're on a PC and don't mind spending some money, Star*Explorer has the ability to download the images found in a search.

http://www.starexplorer.com/
    edited August 1, 2009
    I only use this method (the work-around) once a year when we are creating our annual Yearbook. I used it last year with no problems. This year it is not working...very frustrating to say the least. (where is the pulling out the hair smilie when I need one?)

Does anyone know a NEW method of downloading specific keyworded, original size photos in a gallery?

ETA: I use Firefox browser, so I don't think Starexplorer will work for me....?
    Thanks
    edited August 1, 2009
    Just to check: you need external links to be enabled in the gallery...
    edited August 1, 2009
    PBolchover wrote:
    Just to check: you need external links to be enabled in the gallery...
    clap.gifThank YOU so much! this indeed was my problem!bowdown.gif