SmuggLr - for flickr, Phanfare, PicasaWeb, PhotoSite & Zenfolio refugees

devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
Hi Guys,

I am finally pleased to annouce my Firefox extension SmuggLr. For those who wish to transition photos from flickr, Phanfare, PhotoSite, PicasaWeb or Zenfolio to SmugMug.

Download it here.

Once installed, it can be accessed via Tools->SmuggLr. It's presented in an easy to use wizard format.

If you have any questions/problems, please post in this thread.

Versions:-

21st March 2010 v3.6
- Fixed Picasa Web disabled continue button issue

8th October 2010 v3.5
- Fixed an issue with Zenfolio where users were using their email address rather than username to login, which resulted in no galleries being displayed.

1st April 2010 v3.2
- Bug fixes that address occasional staling
- Enhancements to Phanfare, categories are now created to match year, filename should be transferred correctly

12th August 2009 v3.1
- Bug fix for Phanfare not transferring any files.

30th July 2009 v3.0
- Added support for running SmuggLr multiple times, it now checks whether images exist within a given gallery before transferring
- optimised flickr support and added collections for pro users.

6th January 2009 v2.8
- Fixed Picasa Web disabled continue button issue

13th June 2008 v2.5
- Fixed bug with flickr where potentially loads of duplicates could be imported
- Fixed bug with Picasa where users that had . or _ in their username got stuck and couldn't continue.

25th May 2008 v2.3, 2.4
- Fixed a few issues with Zenfolio

16 May 2008 v2.2
- Fixed Phanfare 2.0 bug where no photos were found

8th May 2008 v2.1
- SmuggLr's flickr api key expired :scratch

6th May 2008 v2.0
- Added support for Phanfare v2.0
- Fixed issue with flickr authentication on non-english pages

21th Feb 2008 v1.9
- Added support for Zenfolio
- Removed support for ImageStation
- fix flickr bug on free accounts with a lot of failures, now falls back to large size images if the original is not available.
- refactored some of the original code

12th Feb 2008 v1.8
- Added support for Picasa Web
- Fixed flickr append description bug

27 th Jan 2008 v1.7
- Added support for 4 byte characters in Album titles/descriptions

21th Dec 2007 v1.6
- Added support for Phanfare

12th Oct 2007 v1.3
- Fixed image error handling to only retry 3 times

12th Oct 2007 v1.2
- Added support for ImageStation and PhotoSite

3rd Aug 2007 v1.0
- Added geocoding support

29th Feb 2007 v0.7
- Fixed upload endpoint (my bad :D)
- Added selective photosets
- Support for automatic updates in future

Cheers,

David
David Parry
SmugMug API Developer
My Photos

Comments

• vincenzofvincenzof Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited February 21, 2007
    Damn that was smooth! Nice work!

671 photos in well under 20 minutes. wings.gif
  • BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 21, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    Hi Guys,

I am finally pleased to annouce the beta of the Firefox extension SmuggLr. For those who wish to transition photos from flickr to SmugMug.

Download it here.

Once installed, it can be accessed via Tools->SmuggLr. It's presented in an easy to use wizard format.

If you have any questions/problems, please post in this thread.

EDIT: And here is SmuggLr's Smuggy Home! http://smugglr.smugmug.com/

Cheers,

David

clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclap

Nice Dev!!!
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    I wish I had a Flickr account just so I could move some photos. thumb.gif Nice work!
  • sith_kickersith_kicker Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    Great work on the extension!

I installed last night and tried to transfer my photos. I have 7665 photos on Flickr in 140 albums. The extension sees to create the albums fine, but on the first attempt it only processed 212 photos.

I restarted again, with the albums creating fine and the 'Image Processing' bar complete when I went to bed. When I woke up this morning, the extension screen said something like 'Conclusion' so I assumed it completed. I only found 3000+ photos transferred though, with some albums only having 1 or 2 photos.

I've deleted the albums again on Smugmug and am trying again during the light of day to see if it works!
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 22, 2007
    Great work on the extension!

I installed last night and tried to transfer my photos. I have 7665 photos on Flickr in 140 albums. The extension sees to create the albums fine, but on the first attempt it only processed 212 photos.

I restarted again, with the albums creating fine and the 'Image Processing' bar complete when I went to bed. When I woke up this morning, the extension screen said something like 'Conclusion' so I assumed it completed. I only found 3000+ photos transferred though, with some albums only having 1 or 2 photos.

I've deleted the albums again on Smugmug and am trying again during the light of day to see if it works!

G'day Sith,

Yeah, I am aware that there are a few issues potentially with very large albums. I have the resume functionality on my radar, hopefully I can get it working shortly.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited February 22, 2007
    Sith,

ok, we found a problem...hopefully I will have a new version uploaded either today or tomorrow.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • wickendenwickenden Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2007
    Making New Galleries Private
    When I tried an alpha version of some sort of flickr moving tool (not a firefox plugin but a standalone tool) it failed to bring most of my flickr images over, but it did make all the galleries private, which I liked.

I tried this tool and it seemed to be adding them to public galleries. Is there a way to have the default be private? Also, I would really like to be able to selectively pick flickr sets to transfer from, rather than have it go out and get everything.

Don
    daylightvision.com
  • luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2007
    wickenden wrote:
    When I tried an alpha version of some sort of flickr moving tool (not a firefox plugin but a standalone tool) it failed to bring most of my flickr images over,

Yeah, sorry about that, hope you didn't waste too time or bandwidth... :whip @self.

Glad David's thing is working, sorry I don't actually have the time at the moment to fix SmugFlickr.

Nice one David, I'm sure you've got it all covered, but if you've got any brief questions that I might already have fought with, feel free to drop me an email thumb.gif

All the best,
    Luke
    edited February 25, 2007
    wickenden wrote:
    When I tried an alpha version of some sort of flickr moving tool (not a firefox plugin but a standalone tool) it failed to bring most of my flickr images over, but it did make all the galleries private, which I liked.

I tried this tool and it seemed to be adding them to public galleries. Is there a way to have the default be private? Also, I would really like to be able to selectively pick flickr sets to transfer from, rather than have it go out and get everything.

Don
    daylightvision.com

Don,

The whole reason why I started developing SmuggLr was that Luke's SmugFlickr didn't get private images or images not in a set, and I knew that Luke was too busy to work in it.

Selective photosets is on my list and I will probably be working on it today.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited February 26, 2007
    Thanks very much David. Selective photosets is a cool thing, especially since i plan on using my flickr in a different way than I use my smugmug, and will likely want to continue to update it -- almost use it as a stage for a select set of my smugmug images. But the question you didn't answer that I'm still curious about was whether Smugglr will put everything in a "private" gallery, or whether it will let those galleries be public.

I also didn't love the renaming of them to include "Smugglr - ..." in the gallery name. But, that's not a big deal.

Man, it sounds like I'm not impressed or happy, but I'm both. You gave a mile and I'm asking for a parsec.

Thanks again.

don
    devbobo wrote:
    Don,

The whole reason why I started developing SmuggLr was that Luke's SmugFlickr didn't get private images or images not in a set, and I knew that Luke was too busy to work in it.

Selective photosets is on my list and I will probably be working on it today.

Cheers,

David
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    wickenden wrote:

I also didn't love the renaming of them to include "Smugglr - ..." in the gallery name. But, that's not a big deal.
    I think Dev's other tool, SmugBrowser, will allow you to easily rename them deal.gif
    http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/SmugMugHacksAndApps
    edited February 26, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I think Dev's other tool, SmugBrowser, will allow you to easily rename them deal.gif
    http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/SmugMugHacksAndApps

You're right -- I was playing with that cool browser last night, and on second thought, it's quite useful to have all those galleries "tagged" in such a way that they stand out. And -- it's easy enough for me to make these galleries private if it doesn't do it for me with that tool as well.

Great stuff, very, very cool.

don
    edited February 26, 2007
    Yeah, sorry about that, hope you didn't waste too time or bandwidth... :whip @self.

Glad David's thing is working, sorry I don't actually have the time at the moment to fix SmugFlickr.

Nice one David, I'm sure you've got it all covered, but if you've got any brief questions that I might already have fought with, feel free to drop me an email thumb.gif

All the best,
    Luke

I was just glad you had the tool available. Nothing wasted -- it got me up and running. Frankly, it was the "final straw" that led me to go ahead and sign up (that and the flickr discount!).

don
    edited February 28, 2007
    bump...version 0.7 released (see original post for details)
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • jeremyandemilyjeremyandemily Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    Thanks for the update to .7

Hey, I've noticed that Smugglr only transfers "hardcoded" (EXIF) geolocation info from Flickr and doesn't transfer "softcoded" (geotagged by tags) geolocation.

Any help on how I can prevent having to re-tag 2000+ photos? This might prevent me from making the switch now, as data preservation is key.
    Jeremy Joslin
    www.jeremyjoslin.com
    SmugMug Gallery
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (350D)
    - kit lens
    - Canon 70-200mm F4L
    edited March 1, 2007
    Thanks for the update to .7

Hey, I've noticed that Smugglr only transfers "hardcoded" (EXIF) geolocation info from Flickr and doesn't transfer "softcoded" (geotagged by tags) geolocation.

Any help on how I can prevent having to re-tag 2000+ photos? This might prevent me from making the switch now, as data preservation is key.

Hi Jeremy.

Welcome to dgrin and SmugMug. wave.gif

At the moment, I don't have a method to geocode via the API. Let me chase up Don and see if we can implement that easily.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited May 24, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    Hi Jeremy.

Welcome to dgrin and SmugMug. wave.gif

At the moment, I don't have a method to geocode via the API. Let me chase up Don and see if we can implement that easily.

Cheers,

David

Any update on this? I'd love to jump into SmugMug head-first, but I'm a huge backpacker and preservation of my geodata is priority #1. Just checking in....
    Jeremy Joslin
    www.jeremyjoslin.com
    SmugMug Gallery
    - kit lens
    - Canon 70-200mm F4L
  • voicelitvoicelit Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2007
    smuugLr transfer problems
    Hi, new member - here. "photofur" on SmugMug.
    Used SmuggLr to transfer my Flickr " sets " over to SmugMug.
    The read out of progress on SmuggLr software ( FIREFOX) got hung up just near end. I have maybe 162 FLICkR "sets" and 5,032 photos. My recolection is that Smugglr was reading it as more photos than FlicKr says I have - probably not important . But with what SmuggLr was say ( on progrees bar ) was about 5 photos to go ( green bar all the way across ) , SmuggLr just stayed there for -like- an hour.
    Eventually I closed the visable SmuggLr software ( progress bars ) to see what would happene.
    Checked my SmuggLr site; lots of new galleries and photos, but some still showing " processing photo ".
    Decided to try firing up SmuggLr agin, did for a second - but could see it was starting from the top , stopped it " cancel ."
    It seems 90 some percent or more of the transfer is successful, but here and ther there are missing photos in some Galleries. A Gallery called " BOOTY " contains many photos ( 127 ) that were in FlicKr " sets ." I had'have no Photos unaffiliated with an "album" or " set ."
    Wonder If I should just delete the SmuggLr / " other " Gallery, and just try again ?

Marty ( photofur )
    edited August 3, 2007
    bump... version 1.0 release, now with geocoding data :D
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited August 3, 2007
    Hey, thanks for the update.

How does SmugMug transfer geocode? Does it copy tags to tags or does it write coordinates to EXIF from Flickr tags?
    Jeremy Joslin
    www.jeremyjoslin.com
    SmugMug Gallery
    - kit lens
    - Canon 70-200mm F4L
    edited August 3, 2007
    Hey, thanks for the update.

How does SmugMug transfer geocode? Does it copy tags to tags or does it write coordinates to EXIF from Flickr tags?

i copy flickr's geotags and write them to our geotag thumb.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2007
    Am I understanding correctly ?
    Does this means that photos download in Flickr can be copied to Smug ?
    Whenever we want ?

I have an account in Smug and in Flickr and I intend to keep both.

In this case I can download the photos in Flickr and then copy them to Smug.
    Am I thinking or interpretating correctly ? ne_nau.gif

Thank you.
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
    edited September 18, 2007
    Am I understanding correctly ?
    Does this means that photos download in Flickr can be copied to Smug ?
    Whenever we want ?
    Yep nod.gif
    edited September 19, 2007
    I can say that it works fine and it is a very confortable way to map the pictures, as long as they are previously mapped in Flickr. :D

On the other hand I would like to be questioned to place the photos in a specific gallery in Smug during the process.

Or may be, it's just me who didn't read the FM ...ne_nau.gif

Well done. And... the other way around ? rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    thumb.gif
    Now with support for SmuggLing from Sony Imagestation :dragon

http://blogs.smugmug.com/don/2007/09/19/arr-smuggle-yer-booty-outta-sony-imagestation/
    One more of my doubts:

When we send the photos from Flickr to SmugMug are they in here as if they were uploaded directly ?

I am asking this in case of needing a back-up of the files stored in SmugMug...

Do I make myself understand ? ne_nau.gif
    One more of my doubts:

When we send the photos from Flickr to SmugMug are they in here as if they were uploaded directly ?

I am asking this in case of needing a back-up of the files stored in SmugMug...

Do I make myself understand ? ne_nau.gif

Hi Antonio,

The image that you uploaded to flickr is the same image that gets uploaded to SmugMug, so are lng as you uploaded a full size image...that is the image that will be stored at SmugMug, so there is no reason to upload another backup.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    devbobo wrote:
    Hi Antonio,

The image that you uploaded to flickr is the same image that gets uploaded to SmugMug, so are lng as you uploaded a full size image...that is the image that will be stored at SmugMug, so there is no reason to upload another backup.

Cheers,

David

Thank you David. Excellent ! clap.gif
    :Dthumb.gif
  • flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2007
    I migrated (most) of my pictures from ImageStation to Smugmug.
    It works great :D , but i got these error for a few hundred of my images (out of a total of 1600 images):

From the upload-log:
    1x1-gray.gifn/a1x1-gray.gif|Error|1x1-gray.gif2007-09-25 05:18:17|1x1-gray.gifn/a|1x1-gray.gifn/a|upload problemwrong bytes received1x1-gray.gif
    I tried to upload one album at a time for the albums that failed, but that did not work either.

Is this issue a known issue?

Thanks!
    -- Anton Spaans
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
    edited September 26, 2007
    I would like to tell you my experience about this transfer business.

I have downloaded the Flickr application to upload the photos more easily.
    I have seen the photos to be re-sized in my own computer and then sent to Flickr.

If I copy those pictures to SmugMug with the aplication provided here, I will have worst quality photos than if I was uploading to Smug directly.
    One day if I ever want to order a back up ...

And SmugMug - more expensive - is better regarding this important matter.

One of the services Flickr provides that is very, very interesting, is the Map system.
    The way, photos are placed in the map. It is surprisingly simple.

The background in Flickr is ... a disgrace: white.

Flickr is more, shall I say, European ? I felt that there, it is easier to know European people than in Smug.
    Smug has a set of technicians in the forum which are it's added value.
    I am talking about Nikolai, Pathfinder and others I can't remember the name now. Liquidair ! Yes. Almost forgot you, Kenn !

And of course, Andy.:D