Highlights of 13 European countries + Morocco

BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
edited August 19, 2006 in Journeys
I got to take my daughter and son-in-law on a trip of a lifetime last month. :D

I'll add to this as I get time if there's interest, but the short summary is we want to a lot of places! :huh

I knew nothing of Bratislava, Slovakia, but it's one of the cities we stayed in as we drove from Hungary to the Czech Republic. We loved it!

They have a bridge over the Danube that's held up by one of the monsters in The War of the Worlds:

81867655-L.jpg

It has a restaurant on top where you get a great view of the city. How do you get to it? Maybe the monster snatches you and hauls you up there.

81867646-L.jpg

The best part of the city is built on a hill overlooking the Danube with the Blue Church on it, so-named because it uses bluish plaster and coloring:

81867636-L-2.jpg

And of course, on the hill was Bratislava Castle, which was beautiful:

81867676-L.jpg

We walked around the city at midnight and there were still people in the sidewalk cafe's and lovers walking the waterfront.

In other parts of the city there were depressing old apartment buildings that really looked bad, remnants from their recent past, I suppose, as a poor country.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2006
    I had the good fortune of hearing about your trip, and your telling of the story made me hunger for the photos! Really nice, looking forward to more thumb.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited July 15, 2006
    The trip sounds marvelous. Love to see some more pictures too.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited July 15, 2006
    Okay, well, first things first: the trip began in Dover, England because we wanted to see the Dover Castle, which played such a vital role in the wars.

But the city of Dover was closed due to World Cup Fever Like You Can't Imagine. friday.gifThe only place to get a bite was in sports pubs with the game playing and the English screaming at the top of their lungs:

81876138-L.jpg

OH EENG AAHH LAND IS WONDERFUL!!!!!

Under aged? No worries. Dye your hair with England's cross, get on someone's shoulders, and whistle loud enough for the French to hear across the channel:

81876154-L-2.jpg

GGGOOOOAAAALLLL!!!!?????
    Slosh that beer everywhere!

81876106-L-1.jpg
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited July 16, 2006
    More, more, more!!:):
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2006
    Baldy wrote:

81867655-Th.jpg
    81867646-Th.jpg
    81867636-Th-2.jpg
    81867676-Th.jpg

Europe sure is dark this time of year.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited July 16, 2006
    If you're into military history, Dover Castle is amazing. It's built into the white cliffs, overlooks France, and defends the English Channel.

Good thing for men of valor, like this fine-looking gentleman. gdog.gif

81875945-L.jpg

It's huge, but the best and biggest part is not what you see on top of the hill, but the tunnels underneath, inside the cliffs.

81875896-L.jpg

Miles of tunnels with hospitals and command quarters. They don't allow pics, but the tour is amazing because they even pipe in the (non-disgusting) smells of the mess hall and hospitals (although there was lots of disgusting fake blood and guts).

Blood and guts were okay, but watch what else you do there...

81875877-L.jpg

The churches inside the castle grounds were pretty important during the conflicts because soldiers feel pretty deep spiritual needs when their lives may be lost any day. This one dates back to the 1200s, at least the tower on the right.

81876088-L.jpg

And always, English symbols and flags wherever possible.

81875967-L-1.jpg
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2006
    Wowser!!! These are great! Can't wait to see the rest of the 13 countries! Must have been a blast being in England during the World Cup....can you imagine being in Italy??? Keep ' em coming!!!! thumb.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2006
    Thank you for sharing, Chris!
    Great pics, I'm curious to see the rest.. 13 countries, man.. That's more than I know.. Lemme count:
    1. Russia (Hi Yuri! Well I was born there, so it's a given:-)
    2. US (pretty much 99% of this forum)
    3. UK (Hi Gubbsy)
    4. France (don't know anybody there from dgrin, but I took a few shots there, hence it exists:-)
    5. Holland (Hi Michiel)
    6. Germany (Hi Sebastian)
    7. Oz (Hi Skippy, Gus and Devbobo)
    8. Spain (Hi Richard)
    9. Pakistan (Hi Awais)
    10. Portugal (Hi Antonio)
    11. Israel (Hi Yehuda)
    12. Iran/Iraq (it is two different countries or the same one with different spelling, I'm always confused mwink.gif )
    I guess that's pretty much it ne_nau.gif

Anxious for more pictures and countries :-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited July 16, 2006
    Btw, I hope my coffin is bigger than English showers...

81875910-L-1.jpg
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 16, 2006
    history
    clap.gif yeah ... i love history ... and i hate to beg but here goes ...clap.gifclap.gif please, please, please, lets have more...
    edited July 19, 2006
    We rode the train through the lovely British countryside to London. To our surprise, we happened to step off the train when the guard was changing at Buckingham Palace, right beside the station.

82724671-L.jpg

The next day was the Queen's 80th birthday and we were greeted with jets flying overhead, cannon booming...the works (no pics, sorry umph.gif).

Public admission: London is so well photographed and there was so much to see, I mostly put my camera away and decided to enjoy other people's shots.

But... How could I not take a pic of St. Paul's Cathedral, where we watched a choral performance and ate on the lawn outside? Breathtaking.

82724890-O.jpg
    edited July 19, 2006
    edited July 19, 2006
    We walked around the lakes of Hyde Park,

82724972-L.jpg

Hung with celebs at Madame Tussauds (the kids LOVED that)

82724787-L.jpg

And marveled over the little things like fancy fountains scattered around the city and part of everyday life.

82724939-L.jpg
  • vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2006
    Baldy wrote:
    Okay, well, first things first: the trip began in Dover, England because we wanted to see the Dover Castle, which played such a vital role in the wars.

But the city of Dover was closed due to World Cup Fever Like You Can't Imagine. friday.gifThe only place to get a bite was in sports pubs with the game playing and the English screaming at the top of their lungs:

81876138-L.jpg

OH EENG AAHH LAND IS WONDERFUL!!!!!

Would just like to add here, that not EVERYONE in England spent their time, dressed in red & white, in pubs during the world cup. I'm not a footie fan & did (to my mind) more interesting things such as taking pics rolleyes1.gif. Yes I've been to Dover on several occasions, a friend of mine lives in the area & there's lots to see!!
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative
    http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
    Raghu Rai
  • vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2006
    Baldy wrote:
    We rode the train through the lovely British countryside to London. To our surprise, we happened to step off the train when the guard was changing at Buckingham Palace, right beside the station.

82724671-L.jpg
    WOW!!!!! Fantastic shot!! clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative
    http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
    Raghu Rai
  • jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2006
    Sweet!
    Baldy wrote:
    We walked around the lakes of Hyde Park,

82724972-L.jpg

This is excellent! Great capture.:):

Hung with celebs at Madame Tussauds (the kids LOVED that)

82724787-L.jpg

Wow, the resemblance here is kind of creepy. rolleyes1.gif Did you ever do any of his stunt work in the movies? Ha ha.

thanks for sharing all of these!

James
    edited August 17, 2006
    Country #2: Portugal!

I've dreamed of Lisbon for 20 years because I was a geophysicist (earthquakes) and Lisbon had one of the most spectacular in history.

The only part of the city to survive the shaking, tsunami, and fire was on the hill, overlooking the harbor. It's now the Old Town, with wonderful narrow alleyways.

82732261-800x1000.jpg

The sprawling olde castle still sits on top of the hill, overlooking Lisbon's amazing harbor and new city.

82732301-L-1.jpg

This was so beautiful at night, but the, erem, co-founder of a photo sharing site didn't have his camera when he walked by it at night....

82732333-L.jpg
    edited August 17, 2006
    From Lisbon we went 3 hours south by train to Faro, on the coast, in the Algarve region. The guidebook gave it 1 star, but we thought it was beautiful.

88868659-L.jpg

88868691-L.jpg

Like everywhere we went, they were showing World Cup soccer on the big screen outdoors. The only reason the square wasn't stuffed with people going wild, is Spain was playing and winning. Who in Portugal would want Spain to win? Pheh.

88868678-L.jpg
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    I see.... the Soccer World Cup is going to be your running gag in this series, right? Man, I'm still traumatized by that one. Like the other shots, though! ;)
    enjoy being here while getting there
    edited August 19, 2006
    marlof wrote:
    I see.... the Soccer World Cup is going to be your running gag in this series, right? Man, I'm still traumatized by that one.
    It was everywhere we went. When streets were empty, you could bet there was a game going on. When the cars were out in force honking and flying flags, you can bet the home team just won.
  • MilanMilan Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2006
    Baldy wrote:
    I knew nothing of Bratislava, Slovakia, but it's one of the cities we stayed in as we drove from Hungary to the Czech Republic. We loved it!

Cool! I was born and raised there. Glad you liked it!:):