Telegraph Cove - Vancouver Island, British Columbia

craftcraft Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited August 18, 2006 in Journeys
I recently moved from cold miserable Ontario to of the most incredible places on earth - Victoria, Vancouver Island, British Columbia. It's one of the largest islands on the western side of hte Americas -- about the same size as Holland. Much of it is untamed wilderness, home to cougar, wolves, bear, deer, elk and eagles. It's definitely a wildlife photographer's dream.

My friend Kirk came to visit me from Ottawa and we decided to drive up island, about a six hour drive from Victoria, to this place I'd read about called Telegraph Cove. We needed to find a place to camp so went into the info centre to learn where to go/what to do, etc. As we were there, we overheard an older man showing his photos to the info centre people. We peeked over his shoulder and started talking about his eagle/bear photography.

His name was Jim and he explained that he owns a small salmon fishing boat and does wildlife photography as a hobby. He'd been visiting Telegraph Cove every year for 17 years. He asked us if we wanted to join him the next morning at 3:30 a.m. He said he'd be fishing first and then we could go out and do some eagle and bear photography.

We couldn't believe his generosity and our good luck. We spent the entire day from sunrise to sunset photographing this extremely remote and incredibly beautiful place.

You can see the photos at:

http://photos.christinacraft.com/gallery/1583153/1/76683965

If you're ever on Vancouver Island, I highly recommend a drive up to Telegraph Cove. Clayoquot Sound gets a lot of press, but this place is far more remote and untouched. It's definitely a hidden gem. It's also known (in July and August) as the place with the highest concentration of orcas (Killer Whales) in British Columbia.

76684191-M-3.jpg
http://craft.smugmug.com
Thousands of Nature & Wildlife Images Online

Comments

• BrettGBrettG Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2006
    Very nice indeed!

I loved the one of the mink with the fish head (I guess he's never heard the saying "never eat anything bigger than your head"...)

Count me as another Ontarian planning to move to the west coast...
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2006
    That must have been amazing, seeing all that wildlife from sea.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2006
    Great photos! Been to the Island lots of times but never been to Telegraph Cove.
    Thanks for sharing. thumb.gif
  • mbzmbz Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    It is great. Thank you for the advice.