Options

Auto Upload Photos to SmugMug Gallery?

CarlECarlE Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
I've read a few different forums but can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for so I'm hoping that someone can help me out with my request. Hopefully being a Baby Grinner won't discourage some of you others from responding.

Here's what I'm looking to do:
1) I will be taking pictures of event guests and directly storing them in a file on my CPU.
2) I would like to continuously & automatically upload these photos (as is) directly to my SmugMug account via the file on my CPU desktop.
3) These photos would need to be continuously uploaded for instant access for the guests via their SmugMug gallery.
4) I would like to keep the original photos in the file on my desktop as well.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 27, 2011
    G'day Carl,

I suggest that you take a look at Eye.Fi, their wireless SD cards allow continuous uploading to both a computer and to photo sharing sites like SmugMug.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2011
    devbobo wrote: »
    I suggest that you take a look at Eye.Fi, their wireless SD cards allow continuous uploading to both a computer and to photo sharing sites like SmugMug.

This would work only if the eye.fi can pull files from my desktop and then send them to SmugMug. The reason being, I am adding a watermark to each photo after the picture is taken...it then gets stored in a file on my desktop. It seems that it only uploads from the eye.fi card itself.

Any other suggestions or am I reading this incorrectly?
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2011
    There are a few third-party uploaders that upload based on directory structure on a source drive. I don't remember their names off the top of my head, but I know there's at least two the last time I checked with this capability.

Another option is to use a stand-alone java uploader that is command line in windows. Using some creative batch files, you can tell it to check every so often for new files and only upload those files.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    Not A BoothNot A Booth Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    I'm looking for the same sort of thing, and so far this is the best I've found (please note that I haven't tested this technique):

1) This program will monitor a folder on your computer, then format, print, and email your photos as they are added.
    http://www.breezesys.com/Hotfolder/index.htm

2) You can have them uploaded to SmugMug by this process:
    http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93286-uploading-via-email-amp-phones

Unfortunately, it looks like you can't choose which gallery they'll go into. They all go to a gallery named "email." But I guess you can change the gallery after the event...
  • Options
    CyrusRamseyCyrusRamsey Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 14, 2015
    Can you expound on eye.fi?
    devbobo wrote: »
    G'day Carl,

Cheers,

David

You said that it allows continuous uploading to a computer and SmugMug. How does that work to upload to SmugMug? Is it connecting to a computer and the computer is doing that? Or is it two different destinations, one destination a folder on your hard drive and the other a phone, which then uploads to SmugMug? I'm just confused how that would work.

What I have is pictures being taken and, by USB, getting written to a specific folder on the computer. I need to have the contents of that folder automatically uploaded to a specific gallery on SmugMug. I'm wondering if this will help me accomplish that. Right now what I have to do is manually upload the new files to SmugMug.
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2015
    You said that it allows continuous uploading to a computer and SmugMug. How does that work to upload to SmugMug? Is it connecting to a computer and the computer is doing that? Or is it two different destinations, one destination a folder on your hard drive and the other a phone, which then uploads to SmugMug? I'm just confused how that would work.

What I have is pictures being taken and, by USB, getting written to a specific folder on the computer. I need to have the contents of that folder automatically uploaded to a specific gallery on SmugMug. I'm wondering if this will help me accomplish that. Right now what I have to do is manually upload the new files to SmugMug.
    It's been several years since I've looked at the eyefi card, but from my understanding, you can have everything that is on it upload to a single gallery in SM in close to real-time. I haven't checked it anytime in recent years since my cameras don't support the card, so I'd double-check to see if it still functions this way.

I'm not sure if the java uploader still exists and works, but using this with a batch file that checks for new files would do what you want.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!