Options

One wintry week in Arizona

midimanmidiman Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited January 13, 2009 in Journeys
I took my one-week school break and my Canon 40D off to visit northern Arizona, hoping to find some snowy (but not too cold) views of this part of the world. I am still climbing the learning curve with my year-old camera, but each additional trip reinforces my desire and rekindles my passion for this hobby.

Travel to such places this time of year means cool temperatures and small crowds - however, spotty road conditions require a 4WD, and don't be surprised if you get stuck in the mud - TWICE! :dunno

Since this is my first post I'm not sure how lengthy it should be, but I would be happy to provide more info to anyone interested in my full itinerary - it really was a great trip, and included visits to Lake Powell, Monument Valley, Canyon de Chelley, Painted Desert, and a certain street corner in Winslow, Arizona. More pics lurk in the galleries, of course, and I will visit many of yours in the coming weeks, I'm sure.

Now back to the trip, which, of course, started in the Grand Canyon.

453583825_ZzcTJ-L.jpg

453591038_CSu7H-L.jpg

and continued to Lake Powell

452242401_yhwWU-L.jpg

Monument Valley

453807920_8j2ya-L.jpg

Canyon de Chelley

452268559_zkdzZ-L.jpg

Painted Desert

452309743_L7BUB-L.jpg

and, finally

452314851_qrrhu-L-3.jpg

My SmugMug
Canon EOS 40D, Tamron 18-250mm, Canon 100-400mm L IS, Sigma 10-12mm, plus way too much othe stuff in my camera bag.

My SmugMug
johnnytraveler

Comments

• Options
    bob swansonbob swanson Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    :D Nice shots. The one with the contrail reminds me of seeing a John Wayne movie many years ago taking place in Monument Valley and it had a contrail in the sky. I wonder what the south western indians thought about that? bsvirginianheadscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2009
    :D Nice shots. The one with the contrail reminds me of seeing a John Wayne movie many years ago taking place in Monument Valley and it had a contrail in the sky. I wonder what the south western indians thought about that? bsvirginianheadscratch.gif

Thanks.

One of the attractions at nearby Goulding's Lodge (where I stayed) is the actual house that John Wayne stayed in while making his movies.
    Canon EOS 40D, Tamron 18-250mm, Canon 100-400mm L IS, Sigma 10-12mm, plus way too much othe stuff in my camera bag.

My SmugMug
    johnnytraveler
  • Options
    Shootin1stShootin1st Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    Nice shots. I recognize Lipan Point in the first one. Particularly like 2 & 3.

thumb.gif
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2009
    Shootin1st wrote:
    Nice shots. I recognize Lipan Point in the first one. Particularly like 2 & 3.

thumb.gif

Thanks for the encouragement!!

The shadow pic was a lucky find, as I turned around from a sunrise shoot on a hill above Lake Powell and noticed the long tripod shadow. I just stood behind the tripod to block it from the pic and snapped!

Once I upload the pic I was orignally taking, I'll post it. I'm still setting up my site and photo galleries.

My SmugMug
    johnnytraveler