Options

Quick Motorcycle Loop Around Mexico

strikingvikingstrikingviking Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
edited January 25, 2009 in Journeys
Destinies and Curses
November 26, 2008
Durango, Durango
Mexico

Once in awhile, first-time international long-riders send email requesting travel advice and route planning for their upcoming dream. But since I hesitate to share what are at best, subjective opinions, I invariably refer them to the latest and best technical information available at horizonsunlimited.com But procrastination regarding such lofty endeavors is a common error--so a two-part fundamental concept I do offer is that number one, it is important to quit talking and set a launch date, and number two, do not deviate from that date. Whether it be, “In two years I’m…” or “Next month I’m…” Just state the date and then do it. Don’t bother mentioning “Someday.” “Somedays” never happen. Set an irrevocable calendar day, period. Once making that critical decision, there are no acceptable excuses to postpone. “It was too hard to leave right then because my tummy hurt, my dog was sick or a relative died” are insufficient reasons to delay—take an anti-acid or bury your dead and then leap into the metamorphosis of your epic journey. As a result of disregarding gasping personal crisis a lot can go wrong and your world may dramatically change, but isn’t that the reason we adventure?

So here I sit in a low budget, downtown Durango hotel with no hot water, a victim of my own wisdom. Why abandon the relative peace and security of blissful Mazatlán for a month of cramped, musty rooms and spine-mangling saggy mattresses, further annoyed by sporadic yelping outside my window of malfunctioning car alarms? Is this the result of a masochistic urge to be uncomfortable, or a case of the wanderer’s awkward curse--to only find true solace on the road?

Yesterday afternoon after forcing myself to abide by rule number two, while spiraling upward among the soaring rocky cliffs of the Devil’s Spine (Mexico Route 40) it was a peculiar feeling, departing the warm muggy palm-tree-Pacific coastline into the brisk scented pine forests of the chilling Mexican Sierras. What a unique transition toggling from the proverbial Gringo tourist zone of pink legs protruding from Bermuda shorts into the world of macho horseback hombres in Latin American cowboy country. As always, traveling according to plan of no-plan requires only a firm departure date and a general direction with an optimistic time allotment. With that said and done, the first fork of destiny lays ahead.

Still weighing two options, in a few hours on the outskirts of Durango, for the hundredth time over the decades, I’ll do another mental coin-toss; roam south into the stunning colonial granite plazas of of Zacatecas, or sprint across the empty desert plains of the Mexican Central Highlands to gracefully descend somewhere on the sultry Caribbean beaches. It’s true that wanderer’s wander because they have to, but also, when choosing destinations it’s best to select an unfamiliar one, which will likely eliminate Zacatecas in favor of Torreon and Monterrey.

429002549_notuB-L.jpg

Because in previous Ride Reports, myself, as well as many, many others, have vividly described the terrain, photographed such stately delights as towering Zocalo cathedrals, favorite canyon lookouts and even colorful zesty local restaurant cuisine, I’m still undecided what to write about or if I’ll even post photographs. And you guys know darn well that when snapping shots of local babes, one thing invariably leads to another, like more intimate posing in private and later appearing here. This may be much to the delight of some but also to the dismay of others who consider reporting this type of activity inappropriate. Maybe we’ll just have to settle for some non-political stream-of-conscious-rambling about the effects of life south of the border from a man wrangling with a rewarding curse.
Andele pues

Comments

• Options
    edited December 12, 2008
    Heading Southeast
    Tropics
    November 27, 2008
    Veracruz, Veracruz
    Mexíco

Two years ago when first arriving from Africa I was relieved to establish a home base and begin the awkward process of reintegrating into the West. Yet after a brief time back in the comfort zone coping with extra-firm king-size beds and regular meals of known contents, I realized what was to be most missed; having a unique direction. While temporarily planted somewhere on the other side of the earth, it was a satisfying sense of endeavor when replying to questions in downtown Cairo—“So where are you heading next?

As though considering a variety of exotic options, I’d simply bait enthusiastic listeners with, “India and maybe Afghanistan.”

Or even once returning to California when curious locals saw my thrashed, sticker-strewn motorcycle and asked, “Wow, where are you coming from?”

With smug anticipation, I’d casually reply, “Africa.” You can only imagine the following delightful interrogation while startling audiences with tales of kindness and hospitality in the most unlikeliest of places. Now back in the groove on the move, although a four thousand mile sprint around Mexico would only be a minor detour on a world ride, astonished jabbering taxi cab drivers aiding this sometimes lost biker, pummel me with questions about destinations in their own country. And within Mexico, from indigenous genes to colonial blood, every state becomes a different country with varying cultures, cuisine and physical characteristics of the people.

As many prosper while others starve, pockets of northern Mexican cities benefit from the overlapping selective affluence from her adjoining neighbor. Basking within the fiscal shadow of a more powerful economy, a closer proximity to the US border results in a questionable blend of what is not always the best America has to offer. Sparkling boulevards of state capital cities lined with flashy US business franchises seem more like upscale downtown Los Angeles than a country labeled, Developing Nation. Durango, Monterrey and Torreon prosper while choking in environmental pollution and fading famous Mexican open arms.

But the criminally expensive toll roads (Autopistas) offer opportunities for spirited bikers to unleash their aching desires--escaping from typical constraints of aggressive US radar wielding traffic cops they can ride here as fast as a fenced-in concrete highway allows. Galloping along WFO, across barren high altitude deserts, after holding the throttle open for long stretches of 110 mph, when rolling back to eighty, it feels slow enough to get off and walk. But unsuccessfully coaxing giggling tollbooth girls to climb on the back of my bike takes the edge off of having to pay ten cents a mile to ride in heavenly near-solitude. Even when spotting distant rooftop cherries of the notorious Federales, if passing them politely enough to show respect, they acknowledge me with an approving nod.

The United States of Mexico, suffering collaterally from a hideous bloody war between rivaling drug cartels and competing corrupted government officials, can also be merely considered a modern-day wild-west in transition. But every situation is a package deal as we accept the bad with the good while balancing what serves us best. The live-and-let-live fundamental principals of Mexican society make this non-pretentious lifestyle a single-male-biker-paradise. As long as you don’t draw blood and avoid illegal drugs, there is little trouble to get into that a few hundred pesos can’t resolve. From a comparatively unregulated dating structure, to immediate social acceptance if merely attempting to speak Spanish, home in Mexico is wherever you want to roam. (And no matter the ultimate outcome, when smiling at dark-eyed pretty senoritas, they always smile back.) Affordable gourmet meals in rustic restaurants, cheap ice-cold robust beer and a year-round mild climate conducive to motorcycling further define this land of the perpetual do-it-manana mantra. Asking any middle-age expatriate why they choose to depart the relative security of America to live in frightful Mexico, condescending Gringos are shocked to hear the invariable response, “Freedom.”

Alas while exiting the industrial border states of Coahuila and Nuevo Leon, broad sweeping turns gently lower me across the pungent ranchlands of Tamaulipas directly into the vibrant green seaside jungles of Veracruz. A sad descent of the socioeconomic status accompanies a dusty Federal highway turned lumpy patchwork of decaying asphalt. Back at sea level, thick, sweet tropical Caribbean breezes blow in over endless sugar cane fields tended by machete swinging workers of noticeably aboriginal features.

An hour before entering the capital, just enough rain cascades down on a semi-truck congested single lane roadway to keep this from being a perfect ride. In a grand finale of the days adventure, shortly after sunset, rows of blinking traffic lights lead the way into a dazzling El Centro and the liveliest Zocalo in all of Mexíco. Swirling fumes of carbon monoxide are overridden as popular tourist restaurant kitchens pump overwhelming scents of jumbo shrimp simmering in buttery garlic sauces. Roving guitar bands booming baritone vocal harmonies vie with costumed mariachis as serenading minstrels in sidewalk cafés bang away on wooden xylophones. Arm in arm, teams of dark-skinned senoritas with long, curly black-hair parade the massive stone plazas pretending not to notice gawking male admirers. Silently pointing to their wares, standoffish Indian women dressed in similar hand-woven fabrics peddle traditional, colorful sticky candies and cheap souvenirs. Just to the side, well-dressed older salesmen manning bicycle-wheel carts eagerly urge gullible travelers to buy their neatly displayed fake Cuban cigars. And, at the end of long days ride, a weary biker pauses to smile while so at home in this tantalizing circus of humanity.
    Viva Mexíco!

428997090_yAHfW-L.jpg

428995960_WNgEC-L.jpg

429001296_p8zGM-L.jpg

429000766_xPwtG-L.jpg

429000139_koZap-L.jpg

428997686_6iNiz-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2008
    Viking Assault
    Mayans!
    December 7, 2008
    Campeche, Campeche

431944371_sYxpG-XL.gif

Much of the eastern coast this week has been an easy, two-hundred-mile-a-day roll across decent roads, over-nighting in port cities from Tampico, Veracruz, Coatzocoalcos and Ciudad de Carmen to Campeche, with maybe a U-turn tomorrow in Merida. So far, most of the downtown Malecons (Seawalls) looked the same with concrete block strips of tempting open-air seafood restaurants, multistory hotels deteriorating in the corrosive salt air and well-maintained harbors clogged with old rusting bow-shaped fishing boats rocking in gentle rhythm next to giant tankers hauling petroleum.

431299859_8pXh7-L.jpg

431299686_zBdaw-L.jpg

Although still traveling according to plan-of-no-plan, I expected a turn-around anywhere along the most easterly point on a prime chunk of Mexican real estate jutting out to separate the Gulf of Mexico from the Caribbean Sea. The Yucatán Peninsula with its furthermost tip nearly touching Cuba, is bordered to the east by tropical Belize and to the south by Guatemalan rainforests.

431333972_rHVXC-L.gif

The state of Quintana Roo is hardly known except for a familiar strand of spectacular coastline defining the scattered beach-lovers-over-commercialized enclaves surrounding Cancún. Along with the Maya ruins at Chichen Izta and Tulum, except for well-paid petroleum company employees, there’s supposedly not much else out there to draw Americans. And until encountering the blank stares of elite European retirees sauntering about dressed in perfectly creased safari shorts trying to be cool, I had not seen another paleface in the last twelve days. Abruptly departing from a blissful isolation from fellow foreigners, I was dismayed to discover being among organized tours of snotty Continentals equally annoyed to see a grungy Gringo biker park his rumbling machine in the middle of our shared hotel courtyard.

431944307_zGmVG-L.jpg

Unlike in more traditional colonial cities, no one here seems happy to see me.

431310919_mXqm8-L.jpg

But in this far region of the country primarily populated by indigenous people and their mixed descendants, even Mexicans from the interior are considered foreigners and except for the purpose of leaving behind pesos, are also not much appreciated. Up until 1517 when modern Campeche was accidentally “discovered” by stranded Spaniards, this once scientifically advanced culture stretched all the way to Honduras and Chiapas. And until colonialist Europeans and marauding pirates invaded to viciously squabble over what belonged to the natives for the previous twelve hundred years, ancient Yucatán was occupied by tribes of astronomy savvy Mayan Indians. Judging by the startling departure from typical Mexican warmth, many of these descendants seem to long more for their distant past than in the ensuing centuries of existing in subservience. In the first battle of Campeche, before the massive stone forts were built and soldiers multiplied, those of such short stature did a remarkable job of preserving their isolated domain by repelling conquistadores with simple weapons, requiring a full twenty years to be eventually subjugated.

431299570_S2tFs-L.jpg

With disproportionately long arms and short legs, if over five feet high, round-faced Mayans with broad noses and thick lips are considered tall. Although a growing portion of today’s population is considered mixed, heavy cheekbones below almond eyes of black marbles, distinguishes the true natives from those richer in Spanish blood. Lucky for me, I rolled into Campeche, the state capital of Campeche just at the beginning of an annual Telethon parade to aid the handicapped.

431305884_Ly9Af-L.jpg

431308409_KpRaa-L.jpg

Yet the arrival of another towering invader prompted revelers to offer only mild scowls, a disturbing reaction to a man who rode a long way to say hello.

431301259_sd7p3-L.jpg

431304570_exB7X-L.jpg

431301388_MWdZ4-L.jpg

431305458_kxWzr-L.jpg

431307108_iQSEs-L.jpg

431306070_Jevoe-L.jpg

431305096_MG2KF-L.jpg

431303844_jyxca-L.jpg

While others appeared ambivalent to the imposing stranger,

431302495_bVVac-L.jpg

431301859_5htZF-L.jpg

431301633_xaUUU-L.jpg

431302635_vr6gN-L.jpg

431302067_dXS8X-L.jpg

431300235_rojZH-L.jpg

431304131_qoSzq-L.jpg

431302295_2FDk6-L.jpg

431300805_SV4sr-L.jpg

431307649_fKjxu-L.jpg

431309442_QrJGh-L.jpg

431310064_vhooB-L.jpg

431309598_XQ6fX-L.jpg

431309189_yrW59-L.jpg

Others became curious,

431306529_GyWFW-L.jpg

431303532_5d3QU-L.jpg

Time for a proven formula for breaking the ice—

Hola mis amigos! Muy buenas tardes, como estan?” A little bit of local lingo always goes a long way, especially if followed by an explanation. “Soy Glen Heggstad y he estado vijando todo el mundo a conocer la gente. Somos una familia grande, no? Y con su permiso, me gustaria tomar sus fotos.” I am Glen Heggstad and I have been traveling the world to meet the people. We are a big family, no? And with your permission I would like to take your photograph.” Bingo.

431310489_YEaFi-L.jpg

431311465_M5E9E-L.jpg

431311798_K5spJ-L.jpg

431310771_2sRtx-L.jpg

431311120_w4i4v-L.jpg

431312157_JBTz7-L.jpg

431311323_2k76f-L.jpg

431310336_QWTbB-L.jpg

431309789_79xfE-L.jpg

431312957_yxZZv-L.jpg

431313117_mfuCA-L.jpg

431313449_4ckjT-L.jpg

431313586_PQeQs-L.jpg

431313859_SJX8g-L.jpg

431313740_nUZFf-L.jpg

431300383_PDsBS-L.jpg

431300513_xM2oT-L.jpg

431304856_farP8-L.jpg

431307253_yPDzK-L.jpg

431307418_WnKos-L.jpg

431308821_Mjpuy-L.jpg

431309080_rKRLc-L.jpg

431309309_mGhdi-L.jpg

431313996_c3pHs-L.jpg

431312348_yGJAA-L.jpg
  • Options
    bob swansonbob swanson Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    clap.gif Fantastic. A Compeche I never knew existed. Please show us more. I noticed from your map that you traveled to "Punta Allen". A place I visited but could only stay for a few hours. It seemed it would be perfect for a wayward traveler like yourself. Enjoy.
    bsvirginianthumb.gif
  • Options
    Lee MasseyLee Massey Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    Keep it coming... I was just in Mexico last week. I love Mexico... iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 12, 2008
    Thanks for another great thread. I'm hooked.

I've been meaning to go on a long solo roadtrip for the past two years now and it hasn't happened - for really no valid reasons whatsoever. Time to stock up on some Tums and dig a hole in the backyard - just in case. Thanks for the inspiration.
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2008
    Gracias amigos. Indeed, these Mexicans are some of the nicest folks on earth and by all means, this is a very safe country to travel through.
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2008
    Campeche
    December 10, 2008
    Merida, Yucatán
    Mexico

More impressive than the abundance of wireless connections now available in most thirty-dollar-a-night-hotels, is the vast network of new highways crisscrossing the entirety of Yucatán Peninsula. No meandering livestock eyeing asphalt trails, and lightly traveled by commercial vehicles means pleasantly relaxed riding minus the constant danger distractions so prevalent in other rural regions of the country. Since by the time Mexicans expanded their telecommunications infrastructure, installing cell towers were cheaper than wires and poles, builders appear to have engineered wider signal coverage than exists in the US; much of that being 3G. And for travelers, keeping in touch allows more freedom.

Setting off to roam for a month is easy, staying in decent physical shape on varying restaurant food while hotel hopping and contending with business affairs in two countries is challenging. Ten years ago when a tech-savvy cousin from Norway first explained to me the Internet, a long-term goal became to develop a computer-connected career that would permit earning a living without being confined to one place. Today, if timing departures and returns, with a laptop and fast connection, I can download the latest audio financial reports in MP3 format into the GPS for playback while riding. Or for those almost mandatory personal appearances, it's a breeze to conduct free video conferences via Skype.
    432681115_LRgm9-L.jpg
    Suddenly it’s easy to toggle from sitting in a 15th century Spanish Plaza using inalambrico (wireless internet) to a California real estate office for a market check and then download property photos. And only minutes later perform an impromptu Earth Ride slideshow to a small crowd in the Zocalo. Amazing no? From El Centro de Campeche to Palm Springs to Africa and just in time for a free concert by visiting Cuban musicians and dancers flown here as a goodwill gesture to perform in tonight’s telethon for aiding the handicapped.

431942635_S9imV-L.jpg

A laid-back, harmonizing band of Cubans casually strum, toot, and bang out captivating Caribbean rhythms while most of a seated audience eagerly leaps up to dance with them.

431943027_w4YBS-L.jpg

But wild Cuban dancers in conservative Colonial Campeche? Whether it’s elaborately costumed pros from Havana’s internationally famous Copacabana or sassy street corners chicas high-speed-wriggling to thumping beats from plastic boom-boxes, nowhere in the world do women move like Las Cubanas. With jolting hips whipping side to side and rapidly churning buttocks, even when increasing camera shutter speeds, they still appear out of focus.

431944347_LukRS-L.jpg

431940534_sqx8X-L.jpg

431940580_FjsSv-L.jpg

431940675_rjvSM-L.jpg

431940733_Rteww-L.jpg

431940807_fHejv-L.jpg

431941035_T9TsQ-L.jpg

431941087_tPoFJ-L.jpg

431941303_hxTAG-L.jpg

431941255_BNXrd-L.jpg

431941372_yjGT9-L.jpg

431941456_LzcXF-L.jpg

431941662_J27jv-L.jpg

431941708_6fkJC-L.jpg

431941824_cbbng-L.jpg

431941944_48fCU-L.jpg

431941998_Xori2-L.jpg

431942045_hKKXM-L.jpg

431942147_M5bPP-L.jpg

431942183_Jy3Lh-L.jpg

431942270_sanoZ-L.jpg

431942514_Bfdwg-L.jpg

431942598_f3xtW-L.jpg

431942685_c7m6L-L.jpg

431942746_rc2p6-L.jpg

431942809_q3Tsm-L.jpg

431943138_fnV5X-L.jpg

431943383_8TVvK-L.jpg

431943329_ofj54-L.jpg

431943272_TExGY-L.jpg

431943463_dgcEr-L.jpg

431943423_6koDj-L.jpg

431943521_dUCKp-L.jpg

431943596_m9FSf-L.jpg

431943667_XY7S7-L.jpg

431943733_WuV2V-L.jpg

431943789_7QCQ3-L.jpg

431944039_Mifuw-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2008
    thumb.gif Thanks for the ride.
    bsvirginian:D
  • Options
    NomadRipNomadRip Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    Great read as usual! wings.gif
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2008
    Campeche (part two)
    December 14, 2008
    Yucatán, Mexico

432680596_jQwE4-XL.jpg

Although most Mexican cities will awe first-time as well as seasoned travelers, Campeche does it best with immaculate stone corridors enclosed by plastered walls of soft color pastels. As the primary seaport-trading gateway to the Yucatán Peninsula, this once colonial marketing center for foreign and domestic goods was violently coveted by rivaling European powers while constantly subject to pirate attack. An enormous granite block fortress designed to protect the first invaders from subsequent invaders, still encloses the entrance to the city. As though guarding this ancient stronghold, rows of deteriorating metal cannons make this UN declared World Heritage Site one of the most remarkable in Mesoamerica. And like all Mexican cities, public life centers around tree shaded plazas well equipped for early evening and Sunday afternoon strolls. Ice cream vendors and sidewalk cafés encircle raised rotundas while entire Mexican families spend hours together arm in arm.

From the smallest of backstreet restaurants to alleyway barbershops, one can always hear music or singing from blaring radios or roaming bands of street musicians. In comparing cultures of other developing nations, as evidenced in the unique smiles and laughter of their children, Mexicans recognize the importance of enjoying life. Despite pathetically low national wages, the bonds of material gain are balanced against the qualities of life, sharing, and the abundant love of la familia. Across the country, Sundays are dedicated to extended family gatherings--El dia de familiar. Mexicans seem more content with simpler pleasures of romance, food and music, than impressing their neighbors with new cars and expensive jewelry.

432680500_G9zfQ-L.jpg

432680537_fZjqC-L.jpg

432680558_Utyde-L.jpg

432681438_XmhMe-L.jpg

432680638_n7car-L.jpg

432680870_FPbpm-L.jpg

432680946_3Wtec-L.jpg

432680985_9kYSH-L.jpg

432681023_ZZPfx-L.jpg

432681047_Nf7xk-L.jpg

432681095_dQ3JX-L.jpg

432681146_bn6DH-L.jpg

432681173_VBs6c-L.jpg

432681229_iRJiq-L.jpg

432681259_qW3Ag-L.jpg

432681204_6dDW2-L.jpg

Part of the original fortress has now been converted into a small museum of Maya artifacts.

432680710_fmwYv-L.jpg

432680741_Xa2PW-L.jpg

432680761_wc8XX-L.jpg

432680818_zhqAS-XL.jpg

432680795_d2xGM-L.jpg

Three days was not enough to absorb magical Campeche but there were plenty of opportunities to interact with locals. The most interesting by far was Eddy, a Chinese national, who after living in Ecuador for a year learning Spanish, moved his wife and three children to recently open the best Chinese restaurant in town. What an experience that our common language was Spanish.

432681314_gj3R4-XL.jpg
  • Options
    spechtalspechtal Registered Users Posts: 344 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    Very Cool trip, excellent stories and photosclap.gif
    Angela
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2008
    Golden opts
    Invites
    December 12, 2008
    Chetumal, Quintana Roo

Invitations to private gatherings or a local's home are the traveler’s ultimate dream. An opportunity for unscripted glimpses into the lives of those who we normally only greet in passing give deeper meaning to the journey. And although motorcycles are the ultimate form of transportation for spirited wanderers, in their unique appearance of muddied, bulky luggage, also become efficient instruments for connecting direct to curious restaurant patrons or small crowds of gathering gawkers on downtown street corners. Whether they stop to inquire or not, everyone seeing this unusual site wants to know more—especially Mexicans.

436030251_fQUFQ-L.jpg

So it was yesterday morning when after serving a requisite breakfast of refried beans and four fried eggs, café owner Miguel had to know more. Gift-giving works miracles in Developing Nations and for these occasions I’m always ready with an EARTH RIDE DVD--three-hundred-twenty slides of a global motorcycle ride accompanied by moving African music. While immediately inserting the disk into the restaurant TV and studying flashing photos of Middle Eastern Bedouins, the coveted invitations arrives. “Please be my guest tonight at our family lakeside retreat near the Guatemalan border.

The only marking for the mile-long jungle road leading to the freshwater lagoon.
    436011987_27kbj-L.jpg

436013202_FqPfG-L.jpg

435994889_onXsG-L.jpg

435996473_XzkP4-L.jpg

435997972_zYMuJ-L.jpg

436006148_R7wWd-L.jpg

435999441_923jP-L.jpg

435999441_923jP-L.jpg

436011082_E2oBq-L.jpg

436002920_vHisc-L.jpg

436013959_FxHhA-L.jpg

From raising their own animals for consumption to the solar electric panels to provide light, this informal eco-retreat is self-sufficient.

436029413_jznQK-L.jpg

Caretaker Gabriel is anxious to display methods of animal husbandry for their flocks of chickens, ducks and turkeys.

436017278_ETzfZ-L.jpg

436023168_CdNtX-L.jpg

436024163_c7sYL-L.jpg

And after a long day, Gabriel's wife makes of dinner of fresh fried tortillas and turkey meatballs.

436014563_RFo2g-L.jpg

436015319_RsafW-L.jpg

But after a long day of chores, Gabriel's son Benjamin is one hungry hombre.

436026113_B66H5-L.jpg

And the next morning I ask him if he's ready to trade hats and ride north with El Vikingo.

436024872_ZCM6r-L.jpg

He thanks me but opts to stay where he's needed on the homestead.

436025645_P5h2o-L.jpg

But in the finest of Mexican tradition, he bids me Buen Viaje and a speedy return.

436026769_jiF9N-L.jpg
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2008
    Great stuff. Mexico is lovely place my dad will be visiting Obregon for official meeting will surly enjoy there mwink.gif. I had some cool stuff from Mexico back in 1996 when my dad 1st visit it :D
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2008
    Centro Mercados
    December 17, 2008
    Villahermosa, Mexico
    (Disclaimer: For this trip I mistakenly decided to use the old Sony 818 that while banged around the world for several years has been dropped, drowned and subjected to so many temperature extremes that it barely functions)

437563262_sv6dT-L.jpg

437566197_9AbEb-L.jpg

437636649_6jmSQ-L.jpg

437630950_LUqrC-L.jpg

If the heart and soul of a Developing Nation can be found in a pulsating city center, then the societal spirits can be discovered through the colorful kaleidoscope of their thriving central markets. From Middle Eastern Souks to Latin American Centro Mercados, on early Sunday mornings, this is where the collective vibrancy of a culture can be sensed as well as seen.

437604437_iPAWD-L.jpg

Wandering among shoulder-to-shoulder congested, makeshift temporary aisles, scents from countless rows of vine ripened fruits and vegetables compete with contrasting odors from bins of still flopping fish and dangling, recently clucking chickens. Neatly arranged piles of dried chilies and sinus-piercing pungent spices catch me off-guard mid-inhale while vendors bark orders to sample homemade candies.

437551148_mRnUU-L.jpg

437627933_YTztw-L.jpg

437552751_RSQvB-L.jpg

437558197_iqDea-L.jpg

Frugal housewives with restless children in tow barter for groceries which will later combine into delightful bursts of sizzling salsas. Yet while wallowing through this familiar rhythm of chaos, an invading alien is clearly ignored.

437554692_NVAUy-L.jpg

437556616_BnnWt-L.jpg

437560367_NXUAw-L.jpg

437561464_6cQif-L.jpg

437568718_x977A-L.jpg

437570091_d6z6x-L.jpg

437571529_yPjui-L.jpg

437582200_EhSnu-L.jpg

437581027_YkFLu-L.jpg

437631642_p36sh-L.jpg

In a southern Mexican city seldom frequented by foreigners, a heavily tattooed, six-foot-three, two hundred twenty pound biker stands out as awkward as a puffy-eyed, stumbling Rastafarian, and is initially as welcome.

437632960_sju3Q-L.jpg

When wading through crowds of hesitant locals, sometimes I do notice narrowed-eyed facial expressions conveying obvious suspicions “Aren’t you from that place where they are building a wall to keep people like us out?”

440430688_5jQ8H-L.jpg

But consistent with a prior pledge to never leave a reluctant crowd until everyone is willing to shake my hand, I once again bellow a proven slogan, “I’ve come along way to meet you…”

437572636_78kFo-L.jpg

437573222_SSA7u-L.jpg

437573682_A5JZP-L.jpg

437575012_2gyPU-L.jpg

437579272_67FQ2-L.jpg

437580151_MX2gd-L.jpg

437583571_iDGEW-L.jpg

437584216_CpgCG-L.jpg

437585294_qGGkZ-L.jpg

437586434_wvnA4-L.jpg

437588070_TWWky-L.jpg

437589214_DryhE-L.jpg

437590336_k56MW-L.jpg

437593101_PJLgZ-L.jpg

437594496_82DU2-L.jpg

437595649_VSGKA-L.jpg

437597498_sEYvt-L.jpg

437598687_dAtS3-L.jpg

437599629_7L8GB-L.jpg

437600509_Q6QPd-L.jpg

437601329_eXA3s-L.jpg

437602760_fsafU-L.jpg

437605072_PdtHH-L.jpg

437607097_bSUor-L.jpg

437607781_naZWf-L.jpg

437608685_Zm4jR-L.jpg

437609859_WzYEj-L.jpg

437610268_7FGxp-L.jpg

437611038_LDabp-L.jpg

437612381_HnkYU-L.jpg

437613076_2Bsdh-L.jpg

437613747_iH3wN-L.jpg

437614286_ohFwe-L.jpg

437614923_GmdD9-L.jpg

437616267_GvoPf-L.jpg

437616878_vu6PJ-L.jpg

437617604_JQGpc-L.jpg

437618374_eYJcL-L.jpg

437619097_HixPW-L.jpg

437619698_CRAFU-L.jpg

437619856_JynbJ-L.jpg

437620326_u4vrF-L.jpg

437620607_FMsxU-L.jpg

437621863_rK85Z-L.jpg

437623005_6xDMc-L.jpg

437623658_PFXFo-L.jpg

437623837_ywzna-L.jpg

437624852_DfSHp-L.jpg

437625602_GkGab-L.jpg

437625989_wZmqn-L.jpg

437632441_NVyGk-L.jpg

437627046_JQLqB-L.jpg

437628759_sNvYu-L.jpg

437629690_rMpbs-L.jpg

437633573_naCDn-L.jpg

437633914_XL97p-L.jpg

437634384_SDQjc-L.jpg

437635106_Z3UDk-L.jpg

437635965_5NA88-L.jpg
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
  • Options
    AngryRedAngryRed Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    Always good to read your thoughts. Your interpretation of Mexico brings back memories of living in Ciudad de Mexico with my buddy. It is truly a humbling experience to become immersed in a rich culture such as what is available in Mexico once you leave the chaos of the border towns.
    Love this place, but I am an ADV rider too!
    F800GS
  • Options
    KayguarnayKayguarnay Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited December 25, 2008
    What an amazing trip!
    It's the biggest series of thumbs up pictures I've ever seen! Laughing.gif

Your pictures remind me that I'm trying to overcome my shyness about taking portrait pictures... afterall, it's so much more interesting to look at a facial expression than a series of landscapes (although there's room for both!)
    Very nice trip story! I'll have to remember what you said about breaking the ice.
    "Always dream of the impossible, then try!" - Geoff Tabin

I'm just learning, teach me!
    C&C always appreciated.
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2008
    Thanks amigos--remember, our most effective tool is almost always, a big sincere smile.
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2008
    Northbound
    Southerners
    December 19, 2008
    Oaxaca, Oaxaca (Wah hah kah)

Still traveling according to plan-of-no-plan, a short circuit in my left wrist, nerve wiring has trimmed riding time to two hundred miles per day, or until my hand finally cramps open, whichever comes first. This means a detour from Tabasco halfway across the southern most state of Chiapas, to hang a right at the state capital, Tuxla-Guiierrez and zigzag the Sierra Madre ridgeline north to Oaxaca, Taxco, Puebla, Mexico City and maybe Guadalajara before returning to Mazatlán. But holiday traffic beginning to coagulate along the single-lane coastal route can’t compete with empty mountains roads of banked curves—the kind high-performance motorcycles devour. Other than a few lounging burros and occasional lumbering big-rig, the black and grey asphalt patchwork of Federal Highway 190 is deserted, interrupted only by rumblings from 1200cc motor winding through the gears. On a blissful soar into biker-nirvana, it’s hard to imagine an end until rolling into the imposing grandeur of 15th century Mexico—just in time for another parade.

439174275_FwApP-L.jpg

439173065_kgSoG-L.jpg

439180351_ApA6F-L.jpg

439178845_88zMJ-L.jpg

439177897_hvJ2D-L.jpg

439176769_XDoCD-L.jpg

439174916_7jvFh-L-1.jpg

439182142_eJPmM-L.jpg

439182985_tVcHL-L.jpg

439171866_Qyp9r-L.jpg

Although Mexico’s breath-taking colonial cities are North America’s best-kept travel secrets and easily accessed by a sophisticated network of modern toll freeways, it’s these poorly maintained free roads with far too many speed bumps that offer closer connections to the delicious pace of local life. Rich green farmlands and remote mountain towns in-between hidden blue lakes and thick pine forests make Chiapas and Oaxaca the most stunning natural scenery of Mexico. But their abundance of foaming whitewater rivers harnessed to supply fifty percent of the countries electrical needs are also symbols of exploitation. From Siberia to Africa, as people of lesser means around the world similarly languish in the sinister grip of corruption, familiar venomous fangs paralyze these Southerners on the edge of survival.

439183696_4NdAT-L.jpg

Like in Russia, where a more populated half of the country rapes the other of energy and natural resources without sharing the wealth, so it goes with Chiapas and its impoverished indigenous people still hopelessly struggling for their share. A mid-nineties uprising of the Zapatista movement was brutally repelled by right-wing paramilitaries and then temporary cooled when then President Fox granted a few of their demands. As in some Islamic countries, fundamentalists prefer their own legal system and today in Indian regions of Chiapas, tribal law has replaced the Federal system. Although legal disputes can now be resolved with methods more reasonable to them, there is still an obscene lack of education and general suffering of the people. It’s from here in Southern Mexico that the long, arduous journey to El Norte begins with desperate hopes for an opportunity to scrub floors and clean toilets of American households. In other parts of Mexico, people ask, “De donde viene?” From where do you come? Here they simply assume, “De la otro lado?” From the other side? Still if willing to sit and speak direct to them and listen to their voice, they all have interesting stories.

These are two of twenty students from Mexico City who during their university breaks, travel six hours by bus, to peddle trinkets in the El Zocalo to finance their education.

439188849_dRwAZ-L.jpg

Imagine how long it took to convince her to pose so people around the world, on this thing called the Internet, could appreciate her beauty.

439187519_qUwbj-L.jpg

And as the weak become weaker, with each of six journeys into Mexico over the last ten years, I’ve noticed a pronounced hardening of the people’s once-lively spirits and cooling attitudes toward foreigners. Seeking a scapegoat, embezzling politicians and corporate monsters responsible for their misery, redirect the anger north, pointing a manipulating finger at a familiar favorite target with the rest not seeming to care. A rising middle-class in more affluent regions of Mexico is leaving behind their most vulnerable citizens with hardly anyone realizing that the southern half of the country seethes in silent revolution.

439211701_85NSN-L.jpg

439212778_8YWYb-L.jpg

Still, 15th century Oaxaca with its dramatic, early Spanish architecture was as spectacular as ever, only for a change, the city center had more Mexican tourists than foreigners.

439207236_Pmqke-L.jpg

439218329_wEsXU-L.jpg

439217074_ftoJB-L.jpg

439214997_E6Vjk-L.jpg

439184894_MMHaq-L.jpg

439186110_BvUuC-L.jpg

439190193_kgZcx-L.jpg

439208730_NbP8L-L.jpg

439209740_uTLBM-L.jpg

439210576_w6CyE-L.jpg

Preferring cushy beachside resorts padded with upscale US retail franchises, few Americans venture into the aging glory of real Mexico. Once outside of artificial luxury bubbles like Cancún and Cabo San Lucas, the only other foreigners are European. In this peak of tourist season with hotels at half occupancy, all were offering promotional rates making this the most likely stop for a three-day program of catching up at the gym. Whereas health clubs in the US compete with high tech mechanical weight lifting apparatus, normally in Mexico, I’m lucky to find sets of rusty old dumb bells to bounce around in the sweltering heat. So imagine the shock when in the shadows of the conquistadors, discovering state of the art facilities.

439160664_zjPc9-L.jpg

439162007_nsZsc-L.jpg

439163225_xKze8-L.jpg

439169746_Esoji-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    Northbound
    Silver
    December 19, 2008
    Taxco, Guerrero
    Mexico

It should have been an easy half-day cruise from old-world Oaxaca to the ancient silver mining city of Taxco, but without a direct route, and figuring there was sufficient time, I lounged until noon before twisting the throttle out of the last intersection heading north for the border of Guerrero. And although Mexico’s free-roads are more scenic, they are also unpredictable for quality and traffic congestion in busy pueblos along the way. Between a single-lane highway partially under construction with unmarked detours and several crowded towns with no signs indicating exits, a four-hour ride turned into eight.

As late afternoon dimmed into early dusk, freshly hydrated agricultural fields pumped out swarms of flying insects—all determined to investigate my probing headlight. While riding deeper into chilling planetary shadows, temperatures dropped faster than the fading rays of sunlight as I foolishly resist the need to stop and bundle up. Now shivering on a moonless night, through the translucent glaze of yellow bug guts, I peer out through a tinted face-shield straining to spot wandering livestock made invisible by high-beams of oncoming big-rigs streaking their blinding high-beams into splinters of piercing multicolor light. Between dodging ghostly silhouettes of shaggy-haired goats mixed with wandering cows, packs of wild burros remained motionless in the center of the roadway, seemingly unconcerned of an impending fate. Through their stubborn mindless gaze, they remind me of who would fare worse in a collision. Locked into an edgy hyper-awareness, I ease off on the throttle while my attention flickers back to focusing on gaping potholes disrupting the rugged texture of sharp mountain switchbacks. All this in order to reach Taxco in time for the Saturday morning jewelry market?

Originally founded by the Aztecs, centuries later in 1530, Mr. Cortez confirmed tales of subterranean precious metal of a particular shiny gray and immediately summoned fellow Spaniards to declare dominion on behalf of the Crown. Ever since, Taxco with its subsequent generations of famous artisans, has been considered the silver capital of the world. Along radically inclining mountain cobblestone streets, trendy tourist restaurants and quaint stone hotels blend among repeating glittery jewelry shops, all behind hand-chiseled granite facades of 15th century architecture. But arriving exhausted at 8:00PM left little time to savor mysterious alleyways separating whitewashed colonial buildings beneath their uniform red tile roofs—after a long hot shower I stumbled directly into zee-land with dreams of photographing an awakening city and acquiring riches at dawn.

441938967_Fgeeg-L.jpg

441942415_WYkKx-L.jpg

441942840_kQxiA-L.jpg

441943237_N9eVb-L.jpg

441944194_hgVk8-L.jpg

441949608_Ajrts-L.jpg

441959032_WSVYD-L.jpg

441957409_Tpve6-L.jpg

441957634_ZwymD-L.jpg

441957903_E9cxP-L.jpg

441957168_vCfdE-L.jpg

441951675_g4kYH-L.jpg

441917732_NAiBt-L.jpg

441933094_pc5V2-L.jpg

441931609_3PEJW-L.jpg

441931194_uwb5N-L.jpg

441930916_miNc3-L.jpg

441930603_ph3x7-L.jpg

441930177_v3z75-L.jpg

441929442_YhRiA-L.jpg

441928562_tT3us-L.jpg

441926281_etLyo-L.jpg

441925835_YvkM8-L.jpg

441925500_HACWy-L.jpg

441924679_J6ZEb-L.jpg

441923898_QFNCA-L.jpg

441923429_a7seS-L.jpg

441923021_icomg-L.jpg

441922667_zC2nw-L.jpg

441922088_cVoHR-L.jpg

441921644_jGR3U-L.jpg

441921180_juQVk-L.jpg

441918633_yBRUe-L.jpg

441917297_Z2Wfg-L.jpg

Saturday mornings in Taxco, when local silversmiths offer their handmade goods direct to wholesale buyers as well as the public, are an eager bargain-hunters ultimate dream. Hundreds of temporary steel-pole booths line the crowded steps descending deep into makeshift labyrinths of countless aisles revealing even more brightly lit booths manned by anxious vendors. (And all of them assure that they have a special deal just for me.) Nowhere else in the world lies better opportunities to shop unique gifts for lucky friends at home. From elegant dinnerware to intricately carved bracelets, necklaces and delicate earrings, prices range from pennies to hundreds of dollars. With negligible labor cost, most items are sold by weight, at a fraction of US retail prices.

441538855_P7wQm-L.jpg

441538736_m3uom-L.jpg

441539909_VRQFC-L.jpg

441540005_h8uSt-L.jpg

441540092_YEuh6-L.jpg

441539472_aXdVy-L.jpg

441539909_VRQFC-L.jpg

441539783_EmJQb-L.jpg

441539370_XEAP2-L.jpg

441539594_ncBqa-L.jpg

441540225_29eFo-L.jpg

441540352_mmFUX-L.jpg

441538058_Tm4aM-L.jpg

441538145_7xF54-L.jpg

441538222_ftcDx-L.jpg

441538324_dj7Pd-L.jpg

441538629_vqEh3-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2009
    Christmas in Mexico
    December 25, 2008
    Mazatlán, Sinaloa

Two wheels are better than four, or so my first martial arts teacher preached in the winter of 1982 when I was recovering from knee surgery after one too many spin kicks on a hundred-pound heavy-bag. Out-patient arthroscopic procedures then were in preliminary development, so my first operation was done the old fashion way, with an eight inch cut, prying the joint apart and scraping away damaged cartilage. After four days in the hospital, Sifu Cazarez explained that knee injuries were the most common athletic career-cancellers and to make sure I stayed focused on rehab, we’d need a significant goal. “Glen, you are going to ride a bicycle from Ensenada to Cabo San Lucas. But don’t worry, for the thousand mile journey, I’ll be periodically catching up in a motor-home.”

After ten grimacing days of pedaling among blossoming desert cactus and nasty crosswinds, I rolled into the hard-packed dirt streets of Cabo San Lucas in time for a much thought about evening of cerveza-guzzling. Then, except for a few tilting palapas, the beaches were empty and there was only one bar, The Giggling Marlin. But what impressed me most was the lack of Christmas marketing hype. Absent bogus parades, droning radio Holiday jingles and obnoxious television ads demanding to buy buy buy, the silence was heavenly.

The roar of tranquility seized my spirit as locals celebrated the birth of Jesus with a sole candle in kitchen windows of their small adobe houses. After an afternoon of prayer, large family gatherings turned into feasts of commemoration and love of one another. As once learned from the soft humility of gentle Himalayan Sherpa guides, again, I was struck by the notion that connecting with other humans was paramount, and that maybe the adage is true, “Less is more.”

Ever since, to avoid what most other Americans complain about, I’ve made it a point to be outside of the US for the ritual holiday fiasco. And although commercialism is creeping into Mexican culture via subtitled Hollywood media, without the public hoopla, it’s easier to ignore. Still, a few Zocalo plazas have been alight in long strings of subtle flashing LEDs, and much to the wonderment of wide-eyed Mexican children, even a few Santa Claus outfits. But three days catching up on workouts in Oaxaca was sufficient, as an itch to ride needed scratching, and maybe a change in cuisine.

If the some of the tastiest food in the world is found in traditional Mexican kitchens, the best of that lies just east of Mexico City in Puebla—home of the internationally acclaimed regional dish, Mole Poblano, a quarter chicken smothered in lightly spiced, unsweetened chocolate sauce. Ever since rolling out of Mazatlan a month ago, I’d secretly hoped that an eventual twist of fate on the plan-of-no-plan would lead to dining amidst the drama of its 15th century colonial cathedrals. And I knew just the restaurant to recharge my batteries before heading home.

Normally when out on an extended ride, the first few days become an impulsive bonsai blast to get as far away from home as possible in the shortest time. (Hurry up in order to relax.) Yet even though I resist the urge, the reverse becomes true for final few days. No matter the silent pledge, it’s always the same, start on the Autopista and end on the Autopista. And while relaxing in arguably the most imposing Zocalo in Latin America, I stared at the map, computing remaining options with intentions to overnight in the next three major cities for visiting friends. In the next nine hundred miles I could easily divide the last few days, enjoying pine-forested, high Sierra, free-roads and spin into Mazatlán the day after Christmas.

Maybe because the sprint from Puebla to Mexico City was so short, an urge to continue became an ache. Once bundled up in cold weather gear, slicing through crisp mountain air and before realizing it, I was westbound on the Autopista passing the second targeted overnight, my most favorite Mexican city, Morelia. Screw it, the town is likely crowded with tourists anyway…in few more hours, I can be in Guadalajara. Yet once there, re-energized in a roadside café feasting on a plate of steaming barbacoa, the next option came to mind, riding to just beyond sunset would allow on overnight in Tepic, a leisurely three hour cruise home in the morning. But while refueling in downtown Tepic, while mulling the options, the notion of entering a forbidden night-ride also meant sleeping in my own bed.

Most of the Mexican Autopistas are double lane, but it’s only a single, north from Tepic, with the best advantage being that it’s fenced-off from cattle. But this danger is canceled by the blinding bright lights of oncoming traffic a car-length away. Within moments of departing a semi-lit city, I questioned the logic of not stopping at the last hotel. Further to seize my breath, suddenly, a few feet back from my saddlebags a set of high-beams flash bright enough to illuminate the road ahead and to both sides. Knowing who loses this one, I ease to the right allowing two shiny black SUVs with tinted windows to whoosh past close enough to almost graze a hand-guard. In Mexico, there’s no question about who drives vehicles like these, Los Narcos, either powerful drug traffickers or their deadly henchman.

Still, with their blazing, quad-halogens peering far deeper into the pitch-dark countryside than my feeble single, if following in their wake, while alert for swerves or brake lights, they could run sufficient interference to unwittingly guide me in a WFO blast to at least the next gas stop, a hundred twenty miles away. Then again, if following too closely, maybe a half-drunk desperado becomes annoyed enough to poke his 9mm Uzi out the rear window and just for fun, pepper this lame Gringo into ga-ga-land. Weighing the latter against creeping through inky darkness for another three hours, I opt for shadowing the convoy at a polite distance.

And after two hours of a pulse-quickening pace, my engine sputtered, burning fumes, coasting into the only Pemex station for another fifty miles. Relieved at being so close to home, I could imagine smelling the fresh salt air and tasting sizzling quesadillas de pollo. Since other than to spin the odometer toward a particular turn-around point in Yucatán, and hopefully hone my Spanish along the way, from day one, this has been an un-defined mission. But as always, I did get to experience more than I deserved with no proper evaluation of the last five thousand miles, except to state that I am far happier now than a month ago. After all, aren’t we supposed to live life on our own terms? I don’t always know where I am heading, but I always end up exactly where I want to be.

Happy New Year Amigos!
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    One thing you said that I must disagree with SV: everything you experienced, you deserved. Congratulations clap.gifbowdown.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    One thing you said that I must disagree with SV: everything you experienced, you deserved. Congratulations clap.gifbowdown.gifclap.gif
    Thanks amigo. Very often...time spent traveling to meet those from such extraordinary and fascinating cultures becomes a humbling experience. It was like that from Siberia to Africa.
  • Options
    BlinkingsBlinkings Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    What fantastic photos. Yes I have always thought that if I expect someone to be in my photos, I should do the hard yards and go and introduce myself first. I think it's polite, and as you say, works a treat! BINGO! Its amazing the amount of seemingly imposing people who end up being really friendly if you make the first move. I guess I wouldn't like to feel like I was an exhibit at the zoo either! Not that anyone bothers to point a lens at me in the first place!!!!!!!!clap.gif
    All the best,
    Andrew
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2009
    thumb.gif Another fantastic travelogue by a very brave and imaginative photo journalist. thanks for including us. bsvirginianbowdown.gif