Options

Colorado by Motorcycle

azariazari Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited January 11, 2009 in Journeys
Some 'on the move' shots - couldn't handle the D80 or D300 while riding, so the little L10 had to do... Not the greatest pictures, but fun. No post processing at all, straight from the camera.

Enjoy!

http://blog.zarinelli.com/

Comments

• Options
    David L. MegaheyDavid L. Megahey Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Trippin
    Great pictures and a fantastic trip.....thanks for allowing us to go alongclap.gifclap.gif
    :scratch When in doubt....SHOOT IT!!!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited January 8, 2009
    I had a short affair with a K1200GT. Oh, baby. Fast. Fun.

Looks like a great ride!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    work2fishwork2fish Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    Great trip report! Years ago, I made a round trip from Denver to Santa Cruz, CA and back on a Honda Magna 700. It was about 3800 miles in two weeks and was one of the best trips of my life. So I know the about the motivation to do this and also how the memories will last.

Back then, there was no digital but I took a couple of photos, including this one when I reached the ocean/PCH:
    motorcylepchmd5.jpg

I remember trying all sorts of ways to sit on the motorcycle seat: legs forward, legs back, legs bent, leaning back, etc., etc., etc. and I did not touch the bike for a couple of months afterward.mwink.gif

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
    Mike
  • Options
    azariazari Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited January 10, 2009
    Thanks!
    Thanks everybody for your kind words.

Yes, the K-GT is definitely fun and fast - but it's also very quiet, "non-vibrational," and very comfortable (after replacing the stock seats with Corbins) - it seemed like this bike was made to eat up those CO mountain roads.

All the way to the Pacific Coast and riding the PCH... Aaahhhh, yes that's on my list too mwink.gif - I am seriously considering a "big loop," starting from my home N of Omaha (NE), via the Northern route (WY, MT, ID) to Seattle.

Then through OR along the Pacific coast South via San Fransisco to Los Angeles.

Finally back home the Southern route, via AZ, NM, CO, NE.

wings.gif

Only problem - time ... I'd definitely (have to) take my time for this one, and I'd have my D300 along in addition to my L10 and L18 (backup)
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited January 10, 2009
    Here's a piccie of my temptress...

[img]http://ian408.smugmug.com/photos/116010003_FFdns- M.jpg[/img]

About the time I bought it. She's been replaced with an Adventure now. Both very comfy and capable bikes for sure.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    work2fishwork2fish Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    azari wrote:
    Thanks everybody for your kind words.

Yes, the K-GT is definitely fun and fast - but it's also very quiet, "non-vibrational," and very comfortable (after replacing the stock seats with Corbins) - it seemed like this bike was made to eat up those CO mountain roads.

All the way to the Pacific Coast and riding the PCH... Aaahhhh, yes that's on my list too mwink.gif - I am seriously considering a "big loop," starting from my home N of Omaha (NE), via the Northern route (WY, MT, ID) to Seattle.

Then through OR along the Pacific coast South via San Fransisco to Los Angeles.

Finally back home the Southern route, via AZ, NM, CO, NE.

wings.gif

Only problem - time ... I'd definitely (have to) take my time for this one, and I'd have my D300 along in addition to my L10 and L18 (backup)

Sounds like a more ambitious trip than mine for sure! My trip was also definitely done on the cheap. I stayed a few days with friends in Nevada, California and Arizona but otherwise camped at these spots along the way:

1) Green River, Utah
    1) Dead Horse Point (HIGHLY recommended) in Utah
    2) Somewhere along the PCH
    3) Wolf Creek Pass, Colorado (This one was decided a the last minute after two deer crossed the road directly in front of me. I was shaking from the experience AND the cold -- Brrrr....)

(my tent and camping gear are in that big red bag in the first pic)

I did break down and stay in a hotel one night in Santa Barbara when I was on my own, though. I did the traveling over a two week period, not all at once, so as to avoid rain and storms where possible. Along the trip, I met many motorcyclists doing the same thing and have lots of great stories. Your post sparked me to take a look back at those pics -- thanks!

Here is what my camping setup looked like in Green River, Utah:

campingatgreenriverutpv0.jpg

For me, I found that my riding ceased once the kids came along (and I sold my bike) but having the pictures brings back lots of memories so it is great that you are taking the camera along. Just please be safe if you are tempted to take them while you are riding, not to mention watching out for the many drivers who don't see you!

Cheers,
    Mike
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    Dang it is 6" of snow and rising here.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact