The Deer at Caw Caw 10/14

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited October 15, 2005 in Wildlife
40003388-L.jpg

Hi, I dragged myself back in here to do just one photo from today. I am surprised that these deer came out as well as they did. Not many pixels there. And I had to CROP, as the deer were centered from my camera being on al servo, center pt. Looked just fine, too. But this looks fine and will please the purists. I was afraid that this photo couldn't take a crop, but it looks OK to me. Not that much cropping, just had to move the deer.

(This is a photo to be enjoyed from a distance, not to be disected as to all the parts of the deer being present. It is flawed in that way, but it is perfect in showing what I experienced.)

I get so excited just to be where I can see deer like this. They may be a dime a dozen, and a nuisance, some places, but they are new to me. Many things are new to me since I started this bird thing.

No, I did not get a photo for the assignment. I got birds, but heavens to Betsy, with the 400, I was too close. That was a first, and we know it happened because of the "assignment".

ginger:D
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:

Hi, I dragged myself back in here to do just one photo from today. I am surprised that these deer came out as well as they did. Not many pixels there. And I had to CROP, as the deer were centered from my camera being on al servo, center pt. Looked just fine, too. But this looks fine and will please the purists. I was afraid that this photo couldn't take a crop, but it looks OK to me. Not that much cropping, just had to move the deer.

(This is a photo to be enjoyed from a distance, not to be disected as to all the parts of the deer being present. It is flawed in that way, but it is perfect in showing what I experienced.)
    ginger:D
    Its a good picture that conveys a tranquil setting. It would have been even better if you had composed it when you shot it instead of composing by cropping in the post process. Also you should be composing for yourself and not the "purists" whoever they are.

I usually have my cameras set to a center focus mark. Once I have the focus locked I have my camera's buttons customized so that I can depress
    AE-L/AF-L button with my right thumb to keep the focus lock and then recompose the shot and depress the shutter with my right hand fingers. I'm quite sure your Canon makes these same options available to you.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2005
    15524779-Ti.gif with Harry
    have my camera set up the same way
    get focus lock and then recompose
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2005
    Thanks for stopping, looking and commenting. I have no idea if, or how, to do that with the Canon.

On some other thread I posted about the same problem. I received "groans" from those who had experienced the same problem.

Which place would you suggest I pose this question.

I went to sleep right after posting this last night. I am thinking of leaving my dogs once again to try to find some birds in flight with a "background". I am not comfortable when I have things hanging. So I probably will not be here this AM, but I would like to hear from the Canon people as to how they handle this problem.

Ginger (I will redo the photo as shot and post it, but I can't right now)
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2005
    before I feed dogs and leave, I just do want to say that once I regained my wits while watching this wonder unfold in front of me, I did change the camera setting, I could then compose and recompose easily. However, this photo was taken before my wits came back on that. When I finally realized that deer do not fly.

I mean who needs a lock on a grazing deer, smile.

however, I would still like to know how the canon people do all this finger work.

ginger
  • Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2005
    (wonders if anyone has read about "focus lock" errors due to the fact that the sensor /focusing mechanism is based on a flat plane.) I've read a few interesting articles on "focus lock=repositioning techniques". This is a good way to end up with out of focus subject matter...especcially if you are using a long telephoto lens. If you lock focus on a subject and then move the camera (reposition/compose) you are moving (usually) on an arch. The distance from sensor to subject matter CHANGES. ...thus introducint the possibility of focusing errors. It is not as important/critical/problematic with wider angled lenses. Ever notice how you may have been front/back focused on a critical focus job when using this technique?? This is why your (hopefully) camera has all those different focusing points. Even though you don't use the center focus point (the most accurate)...the other points should be more accurate than the "focus lock & reposition" technique. I wish I had bookmarked the articles I have read on this subject. The more you move the camera...the more chance for error.

eek7.gif it is however a technique I use once in a while. You Canon users can use the little thumb toggle/directional button on the back of your body..to control focus points. Check out your manual. (servo is more appropriate for moving objects)

(edit/note) Found one of the articles. Take it for what it's worth. :uhoh

http://visual-vacations.com/Photography/focus-recompose_sucks.htm

MM
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com