Stupid wireless mouse question

David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
edited December 12, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
In fact the question is probably so stupid I'll probably be embarrassed enough to delete the thread when an answer comes my way. :lol3

I've gotta upgrade that 99¢ mouse that was included on my new 'puter. Looking at wireless types, maybe a laser wireless.

Q: Just what does the mouse send the signals to? Does one need a bluetooth card in the machine, or does some dongle thing plug into the PS2 or USB port? If so, those are included, right?

On a side note, I have my eye on that new Microsoft ergo 4000 keyboard (wired) to replace the $1.99 stupid OEM keyboard. Anyone use that?

oh, and jut to keep it photography related, the mouse and keyboard are for editing my photos. (sure don't want to upset our esteemed moderator).
My Smugmug
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2005
    I have a Logitech form-fit wireless mouse on all my Macs. It's got a little cradle, that also recharges it at night... the beam goes from mouse to cradle, then cradle is connected by USB2 to the Mac (in this case, the back of my 23" ACD.

I really dig these. It's called MX Laser, I've had it for nearly a year so I'm sure there's a later model number...

Cheers.
    edited December 4, 2005
    Oh and note that I didn't make fun of you at all for being stoopid or anything thumb.gif
    edited December 4, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    Oh and note that I didn't make fun of you at all for being stoopid or anything thumb.gif

Wow, did I say that? Gosh David, I'm really sorry. I don't know what came over me lol3.gif

:tiptoe
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited December 4, 2005
    So that's how they do it. Aha!

I might look into that model. Thanks.

Oh, and I didn't read the two posts that followed the one I'm quoting.
    Andy wrote:
    I have a Logitech form-fit wireless mouse on all my Macs. It's got a little cradle, that also recharges it at night... the beam goes from mouse to cradle, then cradle is connected by USB2 to the Mac (in this case, the back of my 23" ACD.

I really dig these. It's called MX Laser, I've had it for nearly a year so I'm sure there's a later model number...

Cheers.
    My Smugmug
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2005
    David,

Why not look into a Wacom pad. They come with a cordless mouse, and a pen. You still need to keep the mouse on the pad, but there isn't any cords, and the pen is soooooooo much better for photo editing.
    Sam
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    Q: Just what does the mouse send the signals to? Does one need a bluetooth card in the machine, or does some dongle thing plug into the PS2 or USB port? If so, those are included, right?

There are various combinations. It depends on which kind of mouse and computer you have. The most common interfaces are Bluetooth and RF (I think that's what it's called).

If you have a Bluetooth mouse and your computer has built-in Bluetooth, then nothing else is needed. You link 'em up, and you're ready to go.

If the mouse is rechargeable or RF, it may have a cradle connected by USB.

If the mouse is RF and there is no cradle, or if you have a Bluetooth mouse but your computer doesn't have Bluetooth built in, then there is a USB adapter that you stick in the computer. You can buy the mouse and adapter as a bundle, but they may also sell the mouse alone for use with computers like my PowerBook that already has built-in Bluetooth.

I bought a Bluetooth mouse to minimize the cable clutter in my laptop bag, but if this mouse was for a desktop, I might be willing to put up with a cabled cradle.

I also have a Wacom tablet which uses a USB cable. They also have a much more expensive Bluetooth version now. It's flat so it also goes in a laptop bag pretty well if I need to do serious retouching on the road.
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    In fact the question is probably so stupid I'll probably be embarrassed enough to delete the thread when an answer comes my way. lol3.gif

I've gotta upgrade that 99¢ mouse that was included on my new 'puter. Looking at wireless types, maybe a laser wireless.

On a side note, I have my eye on that new Microsoft ergo 4000 keyboard (wired) to replace the $1.99 stupid OEM keyboard. Anyone use that?

oh, and jut to keep it photography related, the mouse and keyboard are for editing my photos. (sure don't want to upset our esteemed moderator).
    FWIW, I have a wireless mouse. It uses a proprietary connection I think but there are those that use bluetooth (they all come with bluetooth dongles I think). Anyhow, that wasn't my point. My point is that it is absolutely hair-pullingly frustrating to use with photoshop. Now, it may just be my mouse but the thing goes into a semi-powersave mode whenever you stop moving it for even a split second. Now, for average mouse use, web surfing, word document writing, excel, clicking the OK button, those sorts of things, you'd hardly know it. But my god, try and make a selection box exactly 123 pixels by 92 pixels! As you get close to (the random example) of 123 pixels you slow down with your mouse. Say at 120 you stop all motion, and then move it again ever so slightly to get those last 3 pixels. Tiny movements won't be enough to wake it up from it's semi-sleep so you move it a little bit faster and all the sudden you're at 125 pixels. CRAP! So you stop and go the other way and the same thing happens but this time you're at 119 pixels. Son of a... The extra 30 or 40 seconds it takes for you to get any accuracy with your mouse in photoshop really adds up.

Again, not sure if this is all wireless mice, just saying it can happen.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    David,

Why not look into a Wacom pad. They come with a cordless mouse, and a pen. You still need to keep the mouse on the pad, but there isn't any cords, and the pen is soooooooo much better for photo editing.
    Sam

YES! You can get one for 80-90 bucks. Well worth it. Mouse, Stylus...you'd be styling!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited December 5, 2005
    Good information in this thread so far. Thanks all! I guess I won't delete it after all! lol3.gif

So far I'm looking at the logitech MX 1000 wireless. Gamers like it, and say that model has no lag at all. Some of the button positions aren't the best, but it is programable, and will work with Firefox if programmed with alt+right and alt+left. I'd be using it mostly for surfing and general misc. tasks.

Editing is another story. If it works with that too, then fine. If it doesn't, then I have about a half dozen other wired mice and trackballs running around here. A tablet might be a little farther down the road, but I know that they are the tops.
    My Smugmug
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2005
    You can have my Logitech wireless, if you want. It sucks. Lots of delays between moving the mouse, and the cursor moving. Not recommended and not cheap.

You can have mine for the cost of postage, if it still catches your fancy. naughty.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited December 10, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    You can have my Logitech wireless, if you want. It sucks. Lots of delays between moving the mouse, and the cursor moving. Not recommended and not cheap.

You can have mine for the cost of postage, if it still catches your fancy. naughty.gif
    Which model Logitech?
    My Smugmug
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    In fact the question is probably so stupid I'll probably be embarrassed enough to delete the thread when an answer comes my way. lol3.gif

Once again David my services are available in the chicago area. All that is required is a place to stay (hyatt, hilton, westin, it's all good). I will setup the computer transfer the files, and help you with expert advice on how to accessorize your new system. mwink.gif
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    Which model Logitech?
    MX-700.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited December 10, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    MX-700.
    Ah. Huge difference in response times, so the reviewers say.
    My Smugmug
    edited December 10, 2005
    Once again David my services are available in the chicago area. All that is required is a place to stay (hyatt, hilton, westin, it's all good). I will setup the computer transfer the files, and help you with expert advice on how to accessorize your new system. mwink.gif
    Well, I don't know what to say.... lol3.gif

Such service here on DGrin. Could any other forum compare? Absolutely not!

However, since my budget is more McDonald's than whatever it is that Andy eats everyday, I will contract an ex-employee that also has the McDonald's expectations - so sorry. :cry

If I run into problems, I'll just pack up everything and bring all along to Bryce/Zion. If you'll be there, I can then offer up coffee or something, OK?
    My Smugmug
  • davemj98davemj98 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2005
    Tablet
    I too have the logitech wireless keyboard and mouse that imput via a usb receiver. BUT the Wacom Graphire 4 tablet with mouse and pen overcome the gross movement problems. Good luck with your upgrading.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle_cluster?q=graphire+4&pid=4842810831542677697&oid=15949751967138736954&btnG=Search+Froogle&lmode=&addr=&scoring=p
    davidsdigitalphotography.com
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    MX-700.
    Odd, I've had an MX-700 since shortly after they came out... never had any problems like you describe... and I've used it with UI construction tools that have the same behaviour scenario as your photoshop selection example. I suppose it could be a matter of the configs; I run mine on a couple of unix machines... and on a mac real soon now. :)
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2005
    Bought the Microsoft Wireless Laser Desktop 6000 (wireless mouse + wireless keyboard) from Costco about two months ago:

48005710-M.jpg

Very, very good for me. No more wires. No delay response that I can tell. Set up the programmable buttons on the keyboard and like them too. It took a little time for me to get use to the ergo design keyboard (and I still get a comma instead of a period now and then).

I never had enough room, next to my keyboard, for my wired mouse movements (editing in PS for example). No problem anymore. I can use my whole desk - the wireless mouse doesn't care! But I really need a wacom tablet - Santa please!

Not Bluetooth - uses an RF transmitter. No problems with receiving interference or putting out any interfering signals.

Costco link to this product:
    http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11097107&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=

Greatest thing since proverbial sliced bread . . .
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2005
    Mike Lane wrote:
    but the thing goes into a semi-powersave mode whenever you stop moving it for even a split second. Now, for average mouse use, web surfing, word document writing, excel, clicking the OK button, those sorts of things, you'd hardly know it. But my god, try and make a selection box exactly 123 pixels by 92 pixels! As you get close to (the random example) of 123 pixels you slow down with your mouse. Say at 120 you stop all motion, and then move it again ever so slightly to get those last 3 pixels. Tiny movements won't be enough to wake it up from it's semi-sleep so you move it a little bit faster and all the sudden you're at 125 pixels. CRAP! So you stop and go the other way and the same thing happens but this time you're at 119 pixels. Son of a... The extra 30 or 40 seconds it takes for you to get any accuracy with your mouse in photoshop really adds up.

Again, not sure if this is all wireless mice, just saying it can happen.
    I haven't had the same problems at all with the MS combo I mentioned above. PS editing seems exactly the same as with a wired mouse. Probably one of those mileage-may-vary scenarios.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen