Can't get Google Webmaster Tools to get verified...

56Kruiser56Kruiser Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
edited December 5, 2011 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
When I try to set up the WEbmaster tools for my site here, I"m not having much luck. It offers some methods here, and what appears to be the easiest to me would be based on the fact I am using Google Analytics on the site.

But when I tell it to verify, it comes back with this error:
Verification failed for http://shuttermaster.smugmug.com/ using the Google Analytics method (less than a minute ago). The Google Analytics tracking code on your site is in the wrong location. You can verify site ownership only with the asynchronous snippet placed in the <head> section of your home page

So then another option was to put this in the meta-tag:
<meta name="google-site-verification" content="id8ypYV0IhGXAg86sa0gb8mpTsdC4tw1Uc3z37rmj3c" />

But I don't know correct method to put that in via the account settings, which seem to want specific words. I'm not sure not to put that kind of definition in.

Another option is to upload an html file, which I'm thinking can't be done.

Another is to add a text record to the DNS record, but of course I can't do that.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2011
    Just select the meta-tag option and copy the meta tag provided by Google into the SmugMug control panel > customize tab > advanced customizations > head tag box. Click submit at the bottom of the page and then it can take a while for Google to come by your site to notice the meta tag.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero