Options

can't access my site with out www in front

AHPPhotographyAHPPhotography Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited March 19, 2015 in SmugMug Support
Does anyone know what I have to do to fix this? if you go to www.adamhaysphotography.com it works but if you go to adamhaysphotography.com it won't.. Is it a setting on my hosting or a setting on Smugmug? Thanks for your help guys.

-Adam

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2015
    There is a setting on your domain host for this. It's all explained on the help page. At the moment I can't recall what it is.
    I think it is the A record.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2015
    Thanks Allen, I think your right, I remember reading something bout the "A" record.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2015
    This is as close as I could find but says "There is no need to set up an A Record". This is completely opposite what we were told years ago.
    http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93340-custom-hostname
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2015
    that video makes it complicated. lol I still don't know why I have to put www. Oh well.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited March 18, 2015
    that video makes it complicated. lol I still don't know why I have to put www. Oh well.
    That help page is a little confusing. It says:
    Within the domain forwarding area, point the version of your domain address without the www to the address with the www:
    example.com > www.example.com

• Using a subdomain to point at SmugMug? There is no need to set up an A Record.
    You aren't using a subdomain so you need to follow the line before that tells you to use domain forwarding.

You need to forward your domain without the www to the domain with the www.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2015
    Allen wrote: »
    There is a setting on your domain host for this. It's all explained on the help page. At the moment I can't recall what it is.
    I think it is the A record.
    That help page is a little confusing. It says:

You aren't using a subdomain so you need to follow the line before that tells you to use domain forwarding.

You need to forward your domain without the www to the domain with the www.

--- Denise

Thanks Denise. I will give that a shot. That makes sense.
  • Options
    Tom FosterTom Foster Registered Users Posts: 289 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2015
    Yep, fairly easy to set up as has been said. I just wanted to add that it sometimes takes the DNS changes a wee while to propagate which means that if you make the right changes as have been described above it still might not work straight away.
    It normally doesn't take too long but from past experience the time taken till changes are 'live' can be very variable!
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2015
    adding www in front of the domain name seemed to work. Now both www.adamhaysphotography.com and adamhaysphotography.com seem to work. tricky little tweaks. :) Thanks so much for your help guys.

-Adam
  • Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2015
    Be aware that Smugmug in various places is going to change your URL's back to have www in front. This went around a couple times in the past, and if I recall it had something to do with their caching service insisting on it. I'm not sure since they changed away from Akamai if that's still true (i.e. the need) but it is still happening for my site.