Options

Video icon on thumbnails

sarahksarahk Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
edited March 18, 2015 in SmugMug Support
I feel like I'm missing something, so hopefully someone has a tip for me.

I use the Collage landscape view for my galleries. Many of my galleries are a mix of photos and videos. I feel like it used to show a video/play icon on the thumbnail (my memory may not be correct though). Anyway, as it appears right now, there is no icon on the thumbnail even when you hover over it to tell you that it is a video. The only time I see any type of video icon is if the photo has a caption. This caption will appear when you hover, and the caption is preceded by an icon of a video camera if that thumbnail is for a video.

Is there a way to have the video camera icon appear even if there is no caption? I'd love to have a small video icon with no hover, but I would settle for having it only on a hover as long as it showed up when there is no caption. I have way too many videos to go back and add captions to them all.

If you want to see an example, go here: http://sarah-k.smugmug.com/Video/Lauren-William-videos-2014/

These are all videos, but the last one has a caption, so you can see the difference.

I did find one workaround which is to change the setting "Show Filenames", but then in the caption area, the filename of the image appears, and I don't really like that. Also, I did notice that the icon does appear in the Smugmug gallery style. But, I'm pretty happy with Collage landscape, and I don't really want to switch back just to get the icon (that I swear used to show up...)

Comments

• Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2014
    sarahk wrote: »
    I feel like I'm missing something, so hopefully someone has a tip for me.

I use the Collage landscape view for my galleries. Many of my galleries are a mix of photos and videos. I feel like it used to show a video/play icon on the thumbnail (my memory may not be correct though). Anyway, as it appears right now, there is no icon on the thumbnail even when you hover over it to tell you that it is a video. The only time I see any type of video icon is if the photo has a caption. This caption will appear when you hover, and the caption is preceded by an icon of a video camera if that thumbnail is for a video.

Is there a way to have the video camera icon appear even if there is no caption? I'd love to have a small video icon with no hover, but I would settle for having it only on a hover as long as it showed up when there is no caption. I have way too many videos to go back and add captions to them all.

If you want to see an example, go here: http://sarah-k.smugmug.com/Video/Lauren-William-videos-2014/

These are all videos, but the last one has a caption, so you can see the difference.

I did find one workaround which is to change the setting "Show Filenames", but then in the caption area, the filename of the image appears, and I don't really like that. Also, I did notice that the icon does appear in the Smugmug gallery style. But, I'm pretty happy with Collage landscape, and I don't really want to switch back just to get the icon (that I swear used to show up...)

I don't know about NEW SM, but in old sm I made a special icon in PS by adding a video icon to the center of the image and then chose that as my thumbnail.
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2014
    I don't know about NEW SM, but in old sm I made a special icon in PS by adding a video icon to the center of the image and then chose that as my thumbnail.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think it would probably be easier to just add a caption to all my videos... Thanks though!
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2014
    Try CSS like this:
    .sm-tile-video .sm-tile-content:after {
    	text-transform: none;
    	font-style: normal;
    	font-weight: 400;
    	-webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased;
    	-moz-osx-font-smoothing: grayscale;

padding:0 8px 8px 8px;
    	background-color:rgba(0,0,0,0.4);

vertical-align:middle;

font-family: 'SmugMug Icon Font Regular';
    	font-size: 24px;

content:'\e116';
    	position:absolute;
    	top:50%;
    	left:50%;

/* Tune to center properly: */
    	margin-top:-15px;
    	margin-left:-12px;
    }

Looks like:

cvh3G7Ul.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2014
    Thanks! I will try this out tomorrow!
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2014
    Thank you so much, Lamah! It works perfectly! This saves me from having to use the Smugmug view!
  • Options
    akcorcoranakcorcoran Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited April 30, 2014
    Hi - can I add that to the CSS for the whole website, so it ell automatically apply to all videos I upload? That would be awesome!
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2014
    akcorcoran wrote: »
    Hi - can I add that to the CSS for the whole website, so it ell automatically apply to all videos I upload? That would be awesome!

Hi - I'm back - ok, so I tried it and the answer is YES but there is something funky going on with the size when it is shown in Smugmug View on the actual video that is enlarged for viewing (looks great on thumbnails) - do I just need to replace the icon?

I'm assuming I could possibly change out the icons generally within the css code? I might go for the white round ones - they are a little hard to see b/c my videos are often performances in dark theaters so the background is dark. Thanks for the help!

Screen%20Shot%202014-04-30%20at%202.59.26%20PM-M.png
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2014
    It's weird b/c there is a little white one used in the corner when you're in the organization view - that would be fine… hmmm...
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2014
    Maybe something like this instead?
    .sm-gallery-tiles-container .sm-tile-video .sm-tile-content:after {

color:white;

font-size: 59px;

text-shadow: 0px 0px 5px rgba(100, 100, 100, 1);

overflow:visble;

content:'\e32f';

opacity:0.9;

margin-top:-40px;
    	margin-left:-18px;
    }

Looks like:

9c4A7Le.png
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2014
    Hi - That's exactly what I'm thinking but for some reason it was black when I put the CSS in my website? I only previewed the change, I didn't publish them - would that make a difference?
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2014
    That's so strange - I would LOVE for it to be the white circle you've got in your example? Any suggestions?
    Screen%20Shot%202014-04-30%20at%2010.19.04%20PM-M.png
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2014
    Ah, that must have been due to my SmugMug theme. I've edited a line "color: white;" into the code in my previous post which should fix that up, give it a go.
  • Options
    DodgeV83DodgeV83 Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2014
    THANKS!!! This has been bugging me for months!
    Maybe something like this instead?
    .sm-gallery-tiles-container .sm-tile-video .sm-tile-content:after {

color:white;

font-size: 59px;

text-shadow: 0px 0px 5px rgba(100, 100, 100, 1);

overflow:visble;

content:'\e32f';

opacity:0.9;

margin-top:-40px;
    	margin-left:-18px;
    }

Looks like:

9c4A7Le.png
  • Options
    mrdrewmrdrew Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2015
    Awesome. To enter the CSS for your entire site, log into your gallery.
    Customize > Content and Design
    In top right, select "Entire Site" instead of "Main Page" (default selected)
    scroll to bottom right, click + on CSS and HTML
    drag CSS somewhere on to the left pane
    copy/paste the CSS code in from above
    done!
  • Options
    rebecca615rebecca615 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    This works perfectly and looks great! Now everyone can easily see that my videos are videos. Thank you so much!