Options

Suggestions for Baby Pictures

Bassett1976Bassett1976 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited April 10, 2014 in People
I'm hoping to get some good suggestions at taking some pictures of my son at the hospital (after he's born). I have a Canon Rebel XT and just got a Canon 430 EX Speedlite. I'm looking for helpful suggestions for taking pictures and composition.

Thanks!
bassett1976.smugmug.com
www.fitmet.com

Comments

• Options
    crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    I'm hoping to get some good suggestions at taking some pictures of my son at the hospital (after he's born). I have a Canon Rebel XT and just got a Canon 430 EX Speedlite. I'm looking for helpful suggestions for taking pictures and composition.

Thanks!

Get a room with a BIG window if you can and have the baby during the day. If you can make it happen at lower light, all the better.:D

I'm a total amatuer and have no idea what I'm doing but I was very pleased with the photos I got. I contribute this to the fact that our room had a very big window, we were up enough stories to have it open and I could just shoot away without the need for a flash.

Click on the gallery "Hunter Arrives"

http://alwaysone.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    oh and make sure you get pictures of the wife in the throws of labor and her pointing at you yelling at you to PUT THE CAMERA DOWN AND HELP ME!:D You can treasure those ones forever.

I realize I am not being helpful.:D
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    assuming the ceiling is white, bounce the flash. Start at about +1 power and adjust the power on the flash as needed.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008

Thanks!

Call Anne Geddes for her technique when shooting............ rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    I think I would have to agree with crockett with respect to shooting with ambient light. I don't know this for sure, but I've heard/read that flash and newborns is not a good combination - that their eyes are not ready for that kind of assault and it could cause long-term vision issues.

From a long-term relationship maintenance perspective, if you are in the delivery room - be there for your wife and not for the photo opp! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    3dGlen3dGlen Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 22, 2014
    Qarik wrote: »
    oh and make sure you get pictures of the wife in the throws of labor and her pointing at you yelling at you to PUT THE CAMERA DOWN AND HELP ME!:D You can treasure those ones forever.

I realize I am not being helpful.:D

Right on brotha!!! I laughed when I read your reply, only because it is SO true!
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2014
    For the birth of my first child we agreed to take discrete photos from her eye view perspective. As Jenny was born I was so awed by the miracle of birth that I just observed the event. My wife had enough presence of mind to say " hey, take some photos".
    Stick with natural light, you should have enough just pump up the ISO.
  • Options
    snapsbypoteatsnapsbypoteat Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited April 10, 2014
    Birth photography is a newer & growing market. You would get the best pictures to hire a professional to do it for you. http://www.dfwbirthphotographer.com/home/

Your wife will love having you in the pictures. Just find one in your area & I'm sure you won't regret it! :)
    ALL OUT CANON!

www.snapsbypoteat.com

Canon Ti1
    Canon 30D
    Tamron 17-50/2.8
    Sigma 30/1.4
    Canon 55-250
    Canon 85 1.8
    580ex