Options

Ballet stage performance

zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
edited April 17, 2014 in People
So this is my second ballet performance shoot. Have learned SO much about the technical aspects of this type of shooting...starting to get a feel for it.

Auto ISO up to 6400. Shutter speed varied from 80 to 1200 to keep the exposure in the pocket.

Shooting in manual mode. Center weighted metering.

Front and back of the studio are with the 70-200 2.8 at 4.0. Back stage is with the 24-70 2.8 also at 4. Shooting with the D4...which has essentially removed all ISO limitations for me. I can shoot up to 25000 and the noise can virtually be removed with no reasonable apparent ill effects.

The front shots were during dress where I could move around all I want....definitely the most fun part for me.
The back of the studio shots were a major yawner, I am a good 50 yards from the stage (sequestered in a sound proof room, something about loud camera clicks :)) at 200mm and then cropped just a bit (too much really) really need a 300 2.8 (and a big loan).

Back stage I was tucked in between the lights and the curtain so a VERY narrow window I could shoot in.

Gallery is in 3 sections. First is front of the room during dress, second is back of the room during the first nights performance, third is back stage during the Sat. matinee.

"Alice" is the play: http://alloutdoor.smugmug.com/Other/Alice-with-Ballet-Idaho#!/

Comments