DSS# 100 - C&C Please

PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
edited April 16, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Getting a start on the new challenge... is this working?

Old-Church-DSS100-016copy-L.jpg

Old-Church-DSS100-007copy2-L.jpg

Old-Church-DSS100-016-copy2-L.jpg
Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com

Comments

• lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2012
    To me, they all look very vintage - similar in composition, exposure & "aging" to some very old shots of a schoolhouse & hatchery I remember, so I think any one of them fits the theme nicely. My fav is #2 - really takes me back to those photos I remember seeing. Seems just a touch over saturated in the sky, but not too much - I do like the golden color there, just maybe back it off a scootch (& don't ask me what a scootch is, but it sounded good)! I really do like #2 - sweet!
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2012
    I've always loved this old church... here it is with the saturation taken down a scootch....

2a.
    Old-Church-DSS100-007copy3-L.jpg

And a bit more aging...

2b.
    Old-Church-DSS100-007copy4-L.jpg
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
  • lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2012
    I really like 2a - just right! It is a cool church - & with the trees framing it, really sweet.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • MemolMemol Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2012
    I like number two. I like the processing and its composition. Yesterday I was searching on the internet for the old places in OC, and I saw this church. I was trying to convince my husband to go there for this challenge, but we ended up in beach. Good that we did not go there too :) I have to find something else.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2012
    2a. thumb.gif It's a nice composition and it has just the right amount of aging.
    edited April 8, 2012
    Thanks guys!
    Memol wrote: »
    I like number two. I like the processing and its composition. Yesterday I was searching on the internet for the old places in OC, and I saw this church. I was trying to convince my husband to go there for this challenge, but we ended up in beach. Good that we did not go there too :) I have to find something else.

I've always loved this old church... something about it just speaks to me. Maybe it's because it's hidden and abandoned and you have to take pictures of it through a chain link fence? I don't know what will become of this church... but I hope that one day it will be restored and used.
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2012
    I'll ditto the 2a.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2012
    #2, or #2a for me are both very good and nice thumb.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2012
    all of the#2's are good, I think I am leaning toward 2a. I like the hue and brightness of that one best.
  • billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2012
    First off, I really like the processing of #3. I'd love to see one of the "2s" processed similarly. To my eyes, on my monitor, all the 2's have too much yellow. If the steeple in #2 wasn't obscured so much by the trees, it would be my hands-down pick of your choices.

So, as a former OC boy (San Clemente) I'm wondering where this church is.... do tell.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
    edited April 16, 2012
    billseye wrote: »
    First off, I really like the processing of #3. I'd love to see one of the "2s" processed similarly. To my eyes, on my monitor, all the 2's have too much yellow. If the steeple in #2 wasn't obscured so much by the trees, it would be my hands-down pick of your choices.

So, as a former OC boy (San Clemente) I'm wondering where this church is.... do tell.

This was the base chapel on the old MCAS Tustin. It's still pretty hidden behind chain link fence with that green tarp through it on the street side. The front and back has just the chain link so that's how I got these shots... with my camera lens right up against the fence. I'd give my left arm for an hour inside for photos. Wish I could have gotten a clearer shot from the front ... at least one where the steeple isn't obstructed by the trees.