Options

Back in Southeast Asia Again - (Bandwidth Warning)

2»

Comments

• Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2013
    Thanks again everyone! I definitely love to share adventures about as much as I love having them.

Yesterday we headed out for a little climbing on a local crag, which was a pretty mellow day and didn't really get a ton of pictures, but here's a couple anyway. This series is of a large cave which runs through the formation where we were climbing, from a small mouth near the base of the hill to a giant gaping maw at the very top. The peak of the hill is a steep limestone cliff, where we spent a few hours climbing and enjoying the views, and then rappelled into the cave and walked out the other end rather than suffer the heat and tedium of the hike down.

Tracy drops off on the first rappel from near the base of the climbing walls at the top of the hill.
    Edit-305-L.jpg

For the second ropelength we elected to simul-rappel, which is a little more complex technique where the rope is passed through the anchor to its mid-point, and then rather than taking turns and rappelling on both strands, two people set up with one on each strand, and rappel at the same time while counter-balancing each other. It's more complex, but it's faster on long descents. In our case though, we did it for the fun. And for the picture of us kissing while dangling on a simul-rappel free-hanging from the roof of a cave in Thailand. :D
    Edit-306-L.jpg

This is the view looking back to the upper opening of the cave from the floor at the base of the rappel.
    Edit-301-L.jpg
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2013
    Simply amazing...what wonderful images...and a great adventure.

Thanks so much for sharing...really well done.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    Awesome! would love to go climbing in Thailand! When would you say is the best time to go (climate wise)?
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2013
    Awesome! would love to go climbing in Thailand! When would you say is the best time to go (climate wise)?

You know I've had an awesome time every time I've been, which pretty much covers from December through June. April is super hot, and June is supposed to be rainy, but when I was there it only rained in the evenings. High season is December/January, so that must be a good time. :D As Alaskans, we found it tough to climb because of the amounts of sweat pouring off us, but it was still a great time. It may help to spend maybe a week or so touristing to get used to the heat before hitting the climbing beaches, but I don't think a week would have been enough time for us to get used to it since we were still sweating six weeks later, so who knows? headscratch.gif

I don't think there's a bad time, really.
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com