Options

Waikiki and Diamond Head

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited July 23, 2014 in Landscapes
Here are a couple of shots from Magic Island of the Waikiki Skyline and Diamond Head.

14698249404_333bc06cb3_b.jpg

14728593923_50e1741f8b_b.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2014
    Love the color, but the distortion kills them for me. :cry

Sam
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2014
    I guess I didn't try very hard at reducing the distortion either. I shot this low with the lens pointing upward. Laughing.gif

My Smug Site
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2014
    Hi Alex, yes, color is fabulous! Maybe I am not seeing it right, but horizon appears to be tilted....or maybe its distortion. In the second one maybe the stuff to right of firework can be chopped. Just some thoughts and first reactions.
    The color in first one is just heavenly!
    Cheers!
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited July 21, 2014
    Nice shots! I do agree with Sam that the distortion is a negative. Easy to fix in post: Go to Filter->Lens Correction. Select the Custom tab. Near the bottom, move the Vertical Perspective slider to the left, to about -43. You will lose some of the clouds in the transformation, but I think it's worth it in this case.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Hi Alex, yes, color is fabulous! Maybe I am not seeing it right, but horizon appears to be tilted....or maybe its distortion. In the second one maybe the stuff to right of firework can be chopped. Just some thoughts and first reactions.
    The color in first one is just heavenly!
    Cheers!

Thanks Taz. The horizon is straight. It does look skewed but it's because the location I shot from is not directly parallel with the skyline. The skyline is at an angle moving away so the perspective makes thing look crooked. I was level according to my spirit level on my ball head and the in-camera level. Not sure about cutting out Diamond Head. It's pretty iconic. I may try blending in a little more detail from another shot where it's not so dark and in shadow.

kdog wrote: »
    Nice shots! I do agree with Sam that the distortion is a negative. Easy to fix in post: Go to Filter->Lens Correction. Select the Custom tab. Near the bottom, move the Vertical Perspective slider to the left, to about -43. You will lose some of the clouds in the transformation, but I think it's worth it in this case.

I did add lens correction but the default for the lens. I didn't really play with the custom lens correction because it didn't bother me that much until you guys started pointing it out. Now its driving me crazy. Laughing.gif. I will try that setting. Will repost results. rolleyes1.gif

I will also post another shot taken just a few minutes earlier. This was the Friday before the Super Moon last week. I unfortunately, the moon hid behind the clouds when the sky finally popped with the color you see in the first pic.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2014
    So here are the new edits with the distortion fixed. Much, much better I think. Thanks Sam for pointing it out!! I also blended in a bit more detail to Diamond Head in the firework photo. I also think that helps.

14698249404_0f31a2bb33_b.jpg

14728593923_f274e87f60_b.jpg

And here is another shot that show the full moon. This was just before the sky really popped with color.

14713749315_5963ac11ed_b.jpg

Oh and sorry about my stupid watermark. It was set in LR when I exported.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2014
    Much better, now you can hang it on the wall. :D

Sam
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2014
    Sam wrote: »
    Much better, now you can hang it on the wall. :D

Sam

Thanks for the help Sam!!! clap.gif

My Smug Site
  • Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2014
    I didn't see the originals but these reworks are certainly wonderful. clap.gif

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2014
    Thanks Jack.

My Smug Site