Options

The Real Secret Beach

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited July 28, 2014 in Landscapes
Below are a few photos from what is now one of my favorite beaches of all time. I can't tell you the name of it. All I can say it's somewhere on the west side of Oahu. I had to promise my friends I wouldn't tell anyone where it is.

This beach has tons of sea turtles. They come to graze on the turf grass that grows in abundance on the rocks. There are few people that come to this beach and the locals like it that way. If word got out about the turtles, it would become a tour destination for all the Hotels and Tourist Operations. There was another spot on the island that this happened to. They want to keep it a secret.

It was quite a day. Swam and hand fed the turtles. Drank beer and ate poke. Snorkeled a bit and then ended the day with a beautiful sunset.

DSC_9866-Edit.jpg

DSC_9813-Edit.jpg

DSC_9879-Edit.jpg

DSC_9913-Edit.jpg

DSC_9932-Edit.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2014
    Sunset shot is magnificent!clap.gif
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2014
    Thanks Taz.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited July 22, 2014
    All nice. Sunset is great, but that turtle shot is out standing!! clap.gif
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2014
    Super! Totally envious!! I haven't snorkeled in a long time - loved the feeling.

Turtle POV is great.

Three - narrow horizon is unusual and I love it.

Sunset - gorgeous!
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2014
    Great stuff! I'm envious too!
    btw... It only took me ten minutes to find the beach on the interwebs - pics and all - but nice try Alex!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2014
    They are all great shots, love the one with the tortoise... too bad you didn't get him during the sunset.....

#4 is my fave also.

Lee
    Lee Wiren
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2014
    Yikes!! These are wonderful, and the fact that they have been able to keep the tourists away and unpopulated makes even more special.

I'm not sure but #4 could be my favorite, or #3 or maybe #2. :D

Sam
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    All nice. Sunset is great, but that turtle shot is out standing!! clap.gif

Thanks Joel. I like the turtles.
    Super! Totally envious!! I haven't snorkeled in a long time - loved the feeling.

Turtle POV is great.

Three - narrow horizon is unusual and I love it.

Sunset - gorgeous!

Thanks. Next trip I should have an underwater housing for my D800 so going under the water for some shots. Should be interesting.
    Earache wrote: »
    Great stuff! I'm envious too!
    btw... It only took me ten minutes to find the beach on the interwebs - pics and all - but nice try Alex!

Laughing.gif. I didn't expect it would stay hidden from those with powerful interweb skillz like yourself. rolleyes1.gif
    Wiren wrote: »
    They are all great shots, love the one with the tortoise... too bad you didn't get him during the sunset.....

#4 is my fave also.

Lee

Lee, I was really hoping to get a turtle at sunset. I did get one on a previous trip but it the location wasn't as nice and the sunset was a little blah. Unfortunately, no turtles out of the water at sunset this time around. Next time hopefully. clap.gif
    Sam wrote: »
    Yikes!! These are wonderful, and the fact that they have been able to keep the tourists away and unpopulated makes even more special.

I'm not sure but #4 could be my favorite, or #3 or maybe #2. :D

Sam

Thanks Sam. I wish there was a way places like this could be shared freely with others without them getting completely overrun. But I guess that's what why we share our photography. So that people can experience what we see through our photos.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    EvanThomasEvanThomas Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited July 27, 2014
    Love all of these, especially the turtle photo and the sunset photo! :)
  • Options
    wtlwdwgnwtlwdwgn Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2014
    I agree. All are good but the turtle and sunset really stand out! thumb.gif
    Steve