Options

Sierra Nevada, At Night and Day

EvanThomasEvanThomas Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
edited August 11, 2014 in Landscapes
Had a great time in the Sabrina Basin area a couple weekends ago. Thought I would share some of the photos. I included the captions I used on my FB page, etc.

Sailor%27s%20Delight-XL.jpg
(1) Sailor's Delight

While watching this sunset , we couldn't help but think of the ancient rhyme often used by sailors ("Red sky at night, sailor's delight. Red sky at morning, sailor take warning"). We were camped right by Sailor Lake, after all. Turns out it was much to the delight of this night sky photographer, as well. While backpacking in to Sailor Lake, the skies were almost completely overcast. I gotta admit I was fretting a little bit about the possibility of backpacking in photography gear and not getting any pictures. But, it all worked out good in the end, because we were able to watch a nice sunset and the skies completely cleared by 10 PM when I was ready to start taking some night sky shots. This photo was taken near the outlet of Sailor Lake, right next to our campsite.

Midnight%20Vision-XL.jpg
(2) Midnight Vision

This photo was taken just below Moonlight Lake in Sabrina Basin just outside Bishop, CA. I've been in the area a few times before and always wanted to visit this waterfall, but it always seemed like too big of a detour at the time. Since we dedicated this trip to photography we made sure we got there. We left our camp at Sailor Lake shorly after midnight and headed over to the waterfall. When we came over the last little granite outcropping, the Milky Way and starry sky over the waterfall was quite a sight to behold. A magical place.

Morning%20Glory-XL.jpg
(3) Morning Glory

I was wondering what kind of flowers were at the bottom of this photo and I know they aren't Morning Glories, but it seemed like a perfect name for this photo, because a glorious morning it was! (I think the flowers are Alpine Laurel, but not sure) I probably only slept for an hour, or two, from taking night sky shots and then getting up at 5:30 for possible sunrise shots, so I figured I would be wandering around in a sleepless stupor the next day. But, the morning was so clear, crisp, and beautiful, with dazzling sunlight all around, I couldn't help but feel energized by it. This photo was taken from near our campsite at Sailor Lake and the prominent peak in the photo is called Picture Peak.

Comments