Options

New pages and a clear slate

jkingletjkinglet Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
edited November 19, 2014 in SmugMug Customization
"They [pages] provide you with a completely blank slate to which you can add content, themes, or advanced customization to create a page that is truly unique to you."
Copy from the SM create page instructional video and text. Currently I have 5 "entire site" features on my opening page [header,footer,menu,logo and social-icons]. Homepage contains "mutiple-photos." I would like to create a page to link to without those "entire-site" features ("the clean slate" that the video mentions). Now when I create a new page and click-to-view-on-my-site the new page includes the 5 features of the entire site. The "new page" just becomes another part of the entire site, not a separate "clean slate".
Is there a way functionally in the customization scheme to build a page with "a clean slate?" Or is there a way to change the 5 "entire site" elements so They won't show on the new page and I can "Pick and choose what you want to customize the page using Content, Themes, and Layout [also from the tutorial]." Thanks. Jeff

Comments

• Options
    herojosieherojosie Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited November 19, 2014
    Hi Jeff,

We don't have a built in setting that allows a custom page to automatically be cleared of any content that is listed under 'entire site'. You may be able to delete that content though using some code. You would need to create the custom page first. Then, you can use something like firebug to find the id's of those 'entire site' content blocks and use those in some code to hide them.
    Thanks,
    Josie
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2014
    Using your Small Birds gallery as an example this CSS removes the header, sidebar and footer.

.sm-page-node-hpPDh #footer,
    .sm-page-node-hpPDh .sm-page-layout-region-left,
    .sm-page-node-hpPDh .sm-page-layout-region-header
    {display:none}

Might have to re-adjust the layout so it expands to fill the page width.

Edit: not sure what happens when you go into customize, might hide tools you need to customize.
    So I'd put it in "entire site" CSS so you can get to the CSS from any page if you have have a problem.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2014
    Thanks Josie. I cleared the page with CSS. Might ask the Smugmug czars to include the piece about the locked content on the "entire site" in the tutorial. Might save others the aggravation. The tutorial says once you create "the page" it is a "clean slate." No mention about "entire site" content or how to remove it. Just got another CSS solution via Dgrin. Thanks for the input. Jeff
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2014
    herojosie wrote: »
    Hi Jeff,

We don't have a built in setting that allows a custom page to automatically be cleared of any content that is listed under 'entire site'. You may be able to delete that content though using some code. You would need to create the custom page first. Then, you can use something like firebug to find the id's of those 'entire site' content blocks and use those in some code to hide them.
    Allen wrote: »
    Using your Small Birds gallery as an example this CSS removes the header, sidebar and footer.

.sm-page-node-hpPDh #footer,
    .sm-page-node-hpPDh .sm-page-layout-region-left,
    .sm-page-node-hpPDh .sm-page-layout-region-header
    {display:none}

Might have to re-adjust the layout so it expands to fill the page width.
    Thanks Allen..long time. I figured it out. Just mentioned to Josie SM could include mention of "entire site" content in their "create page" tutorial. And you're right. Once I get back to it I will need to adjust the layout. Cheers and a flap of the wings!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2014
    jkinglet wrote: »
    Thanks Allen..long time. I figured it out. Just mentioned to Josie SM could include mention of "entire site" content in their "create page" tutorial. And you're right. Once I get back to it I will need to adjust the layout. Cheers and a flap of the wings!
    The red is the page class name, every page has a different -XXXXX. This one was only for that gallery.

<body style="" id="yui_3_8_0_1_1416440970865_322" class="sm-user-portfolio
    sm-user-loggedin sm-page sm-page-node sm-page-node-hpPDh sm-page-parentnode-jPqnz
    sm-page-gallery sm-page-gallery-album sm-page-initialized">

Look in the <body ...> tag in your page source for it on every page about 4-5 lines down from the top.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    herojosieherojosie Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited November 19, 2014
    Hi Jeff,

I will send that update along to the help writers. Thanks for input :)
    Thanks,
    Josie
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    The red is the page class name, every page has a different -XXXXX. This one was only for that gallery.

<body style="" id="yui_3_8_0_1_1416440970865_322" class="sm-user-portfolio
    sm-user-loggedin sm-page sm-page-node sm-page-node-hpPDh sm-page-parentnode-jPqnz
    sm-page-gallery sm-page-gallery-album sm-page-initialized">

Look in the <body ...> tag in your page source for it on every page about 4-5 lines down from the top.
    Thanks again Allen, very helpful stuff as usual. J