Options

Can I set a different background?

brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
edited November 19, 2014 in SmugMug Customization
Can I set a different background on my inner pages if I set the homepage with the site theme?
In the theme I picked an image and background to homepage only... now inner pages are all black...
I'd like to set them to "my" traditional orange gradient as seen here...

http://www.brandolinoimaging.com/Image-Galleries/My-Portfolio/Sports-Images/Football-Best-of-2009/i-j8c5gtj/A

The lightbox background was set using CSS code....

Comments

• Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2013
    You've now got a 8.4MB Original size image on your homepage, it takes a looong time to load. You might want to pull the background image from a gallery whose maximum size is set to X3-large instead, or upload a smaller Original size version of your image.
  • Options
    Lamah wrote: »
    You've now got a 8.4MB Original size image on your homepage, it takes a looong time to load. You might want to pull the background image from a gallery whose maximum size is set to X3-large instead, or upload a smaller Original size version of your image.

Thanks for the input I'll go to X3 setting...
  • Options

Reset to X3.... does it load better for you now?
  • Options
    Got the inner page backgrounds changed by editing my theme...
    BUUUUT I have to set PAGES individually... I can set ALL galleries and folders at once, but not pages.... Makes no sense.
  • Options
    Reset to X3.... does it load better for you now?

thumb.gif It's now 530kB and loads really quick!
  • Options
    edited September 26, 2013
    thumb.gif It's now 530kB and loads really quick!

Thanks. Now that that is straightened out... are you willing to give an opinion on the layout? I know you saw the previous homepage... is new better? Worse? Too much?
    I stayed away from the background image until now thinking it would be too much.
  • Options
    I think it is better than the previous layout, because there are fewer options to choose from (the last design had those random thumbnails competing for attention, I believe).

I'm sure I missed it somewhere, but where are you located? I can't find that information on your site anywhere... it seems like something that it would be important to know if someone wanted to hire you for an event?

The background photo looks nice. If you were located in one area and that was a photo of that area, it would be a good way to make your customers recognise that you're a local photographer. But if not, it doesn't seem to be related to your commercial photography?

A couple of your slideshow photos are substantially out of focus and/or quite noisy. Since slideshow photos are displayed so large, images have to be pretty crisp to work there.

You might want to ask the "show us your new SmugMug site" thread, since there are a lot more experienced people than me on there.

I notice that if the window is skinny enough, you're getting black bars on the background. You can prevent that happening by adding this CSS to your theme:
    html.sm-page-home.sm-user-ui {
        background-size: cover !important;
    }

• Options
    I think it is better than the previous layout, because there are fewer options to choose from (the last design had those random thumbnails competing for attention, I believe).

I'm sure I missed it somewhere, but where are you located? I can't find that information on your site anywhere... it seems like something that it would be important to know if someone wanted to hire you for an event?

The background photo looks nice. If you were located in one area and that was a photo of that area, it would be a good way to make your customers recognise that you're a local photographer. But if not, it doesn't seem to be related to your commercial photography?

A couple of your slideshow photos are substantially out of focus and/or quite noisy. Since slideshow photos are displayed so large, images have to be pretty crisp to work there.

You might want to ask the "show us your new SmugMug site" thread, since there are a lot more experienced people than me on there.

I notice that if the window is skinny enough, you're getting black bars on the background. You can prevent that happening by adding this CSS to your theme:
    html.sm-page-home.sm-user-ui {
        background-size: cover !important;
    }

Thanks for the valuable input... I also asked Denise and she was not a fan of the background image really either. I will be looking for a texture to use as an update from the "dated" gradient as she called it. I agree it looked dated, so I tried to make a change based on what I have been seeing, but I get your point on the image should be from where I base my work... ya it's not...
    Thanks for the code, but I probably won't need it as I will be ditching the image idea...

As for the slide show photos... on the smaller/ old SM version they looked fine. They are published images (some in news print) so they looked fine printed small or on newsprint paper... I need to edit the show a bit now that they images show up larger.

I have tried posting on the Show Me thread, but never got much in the way of replies excent for the one yesterday who basically said my site looked unprofessional and did not flow well.headscratch.gifcry

I will also make an update to give better contact/ location info... I think something may have gotten lost in the migration/ conversion of pages.
    Thanks again
  • Options
    flickringtorchflickringtorch Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 19, 2014
    Searching for some other information got me to look at your site. I noticed you have rounded corners for your images which is likely done in CSS. On a random page, I noticed that the final 'g' in 'brandolinoimaging' is cut off in the bottom right. You probably already know this, but as far as I can tell, that's due to the fact that the same rounded-corner CSS is being applied to your site graphics. I suppose it's possible to target those graphics separately in CSS to prevent that rounding, or you could maybe uploaded graphics with a wider transparent margin that the rounding would eat into instead of the graphic itself.

Hope you find this helpful. Have a good day!