Options

Smugmug Card Paper Quality

sunxsweetsunxsweet Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
edited November 23, 2010 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I thought Smugmug cards were very cool until I recently had a client tell me she didn't want a smugmug card because she didn't want a card printed on photo paper. And then it suddenly struck me as I started receiving other photo cards from other people that were not printed on photo paper. I felt a little ashamed that my pro offering did not allow for a flat card to be printed on nice paper.

Can somebody please shed some light on this for me? Do any of you use affiliate programs with other sites like tinyprints?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    You have 4x8 photo cards on photo paper ( like about 99% similar to rest of photo cards out there). If you limit to Lustre you'll have the heaviest finish (matte and glossy are consumer finishes).

You have 5x7 cards printed on heavy duty card stock.

So you have a choice.

In the future, we'll have 5x7 flat cards, on card stock, to choose from as well.
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2009
    i'm pretty certain i ordered my 4x8 cards in lustre and at the end of the day... it was photo paper.

i'm not sure about the 99% stat because i'll say at least 50% of the cards i've received from friends this year are cards printed on some form of card stock. these are not creative types either, just regular people. and it sure looks impressive.

i realize the 5x7 folded cards are card stock, but most of my clients/friends trend towards the more modern flat card look.
    Andy wrote:
    You have 4x8 photo cards on photo paper ( like about 99% similar to rest of photo cards out there). If you limit to Lustre you'll have the heaviest finish (matte and glossy are consumer finishes).

You have 5x7 cards printed on heavy duty card stock.

So you have a choice.

In the future, we'll have 5x7 flat cards, on card stock, to choose from as well.
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2009
    sunxsweet wrote:
    i'm not sure about the 99% stat
    I mean, the 4x8 product is pretty muchthe same everywhere. We'll be adding 5x7 flats, like I said.
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2009
    okay fine.. maybe not "4x8"'s strictly speaking. but there are plenty of options out there for flat cards. glad to hear 5x7 flat cards are around the corner.

looks like it's me and you having a xmas eve chat. haha
    Andy wrote:
    I mean, the 4x8 product is pretty muchthe same everywhere. We'll be adding 5x7 flats, like I said.
  • Options
    termina3termina3 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    Shoot Bay Photo an email to see if they offer what you're looking for. You may need to open an account with them directly, and their ROES ordering tool isn't as pretty as ordering through Smug. This solution may work as a hold-me-over though.
    Please don't mistake my blunt, pointed posts as my being "angry," "short," or "rude."

I'm generally happy, tall, and fuzzy on the inside.www.NickensPhotography.com
  • Options
    smilenjsmilenj Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    Good to hear
    I got the same feedback about the card quality for the 4x7's. Good to hear there will be other options in the future.

Joey
    Joey Chandler
    San Francisco Portrait and Wedding Photographer
    If you are in the Bay Area, join us for the monthly SmugMug User Group
  • Options
    MiguelloMiguello Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited November 13, 2010
    I have the same problem.
    I ordered some 4x8 flat photo cards as a Thank you card for my wedding and what I got were just photo prints on regular photo paper. There's no way I'll hand that in to my guests. Definitely will get my money back even if I have to call my credit card CS.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2010
    Miguello wrote: »
    I have the same problem.
    I ordered some 4x8 flat photo cards as a Thank you card for my wedding and what I got were just photo prints on regular photo paper. There's no way I'll hand that in to my guests. Definitely will get my money back even if I have to call my credit card CS.

Hi Miguello, no need to post 2x :D I already answered you here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1500252#post1500252

Thanks!
  • Options
    durazzidurazzi Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited November 23, 2010
    5x7 flats on cardstock?
    Where do I find the 5x7 flat cardstock cards you mentioned in this thread last year?
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2010
    durazzi wrote: »
    Where do I find the 5x7 flat cardstock cards you mentioned in this thread last year?
    http://cards.smugmug.com/5x7-Folded-Cards
  • Options
    durazzidurazzi Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited November 23, 2010
    Thanks, Andy. But those all appear to be folded, not flat...?
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2010
    durazzi wrote: »
    Thanks, Andy. But those all appear to be folded, not flat...?

Oh, sorry I misread your post! We don't have 5x7 flat cards, yet, I'm sorry.