Star*Explorer Thread

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2006
    Star*Explorer: v.159 is here
    • Sebastian asked for custom size image download.
      Thy wish is my command, my German/Eucadorian friend! mwink.gif
    • Slighltly improved performance on upload/download.
      John, it's not yet the leap you've asked for, that one will take some time. ne_nau.gif
      But hey, it's still gonna be faster, not slower, even if by percent, not times:-) mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    [*]Sebastian asked for custom size image download.
    Thy wish is my command, my German/Eucadorian friend! mwink.gif
    Works great, thanks a lot Nik! clap.gif
    By the way I put up some photos of my Ecuador trip on my site.

Hasta luego,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2006
    No errors
    nothing showing up after upload with starexplorer.
    What gives?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2006
    What gives?
    Mail Nik. He's fast with the support deal.gif
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 30, 2006
    What gives?

John,

I think it might be SmugMug, I had issues uploading from SmugBrowser and Universal Drag-n-Drop.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited December 5, 2006
    S*E v 160 is out: up to 30% speed improvement!
    With the new version you get what many users asked for the long time - multithreaded upload. In my tests it shows upload speed improvement anywhere between 10% and 30%.:ivar
    Since the number of changes were kinds drastic I did two things:
    1. I left the new method disabled by default. To enable it, go to the Options, Upload tab and check the appropriate checkbox.
    2. I also left the link to the previous version available.
    There is also a caveat: new upload method (RAW Post) does not yet support multiline image captions. You can still enter several lines in Caption Editor, but internally S*E will replace the line breaks with spaces.
    Note that caption entered into IPTC are fine, since they are part of the image itself and not affected by upload method.
    edited December 5, 2006
    S*E v 161 is out
    Thanks to Devbobo friendly help, multiline captions are now working in multithreaded mode, too!
    Muchas gracias, amigo! thumb.gif
    edited December 7, 2006
    S*E v 162 is out
    New notification option added for my friend Derek, of of the first S*E supporters.:-)iloveyou.gif

If you ever added a whole bunch of files for S*E to upload and only a few showed up in the S*E's upload queue pane, you may have been left wondering what on Earth was wrong with the rest of them.headscratch.gif

Now you can get a message dialog warning you about those misfits so you can read the log and get the idea why S*E rejected them: wrong size, wrong type, already in the list, can't auto-convert, etc. deal.gif

This new option is turned off by default, you can set it in Options, Upload tab.

Hope this new version will help S*E cross 70,000 threshold tonight (4 hits left:-) :ivar
    edited December 7, 2006
    70,000 hits and counting!
    wings.gif Crossed another deca-kilo-hit threshold!:ivar
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    wings.gif Crossed another deca-kilo-hit threshold!:ivar
    Sounds very useful - Nice job, Nik - as usual! Keep those releases coming! clap.gif

Congrats on your new milestone, too! :ivar

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited December 7, 2006
    Muchas gracias, Sebastiano!
    Sounds very useful - Nice job, Nik - as usual! Keep those releases coming! clap.gif

Congrats on your new milestone, too! :ivar

Sebastian

I knew I can count on your attention! thumb.gif:Drolleyes1.gif
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2007
    Nik again to the rescue thumb.gif I loaded star on my new puter eek7.gif but it no work :cry help nikne_nau.gif in few emails I am back with a working SE . Great program and easy to use clap.gif thanks again Nik wings.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
    edited January 14, 2007
    Jeff,
    jwear wrote:
    Nik again to the rescue thumb.gif I loaded star on my new puter eek7.gif but it no work :cry help nikne_nau.gif in few emails I am back with a working SE . Great program and easy to use clap.gif thanks again Nik wings.gif

My pleasure, glad I was around and able to help:-) thumb.gif
    Cheers, partner! 1drink.gif
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2007
    Wow! TWiddle-Dee and TWiddle-Dum are my new friends....

Smokin!
    edited January 16, 2007
    Oh, you found the twins?
    cmason wrote:
    Wow! TWiddle-Dee and TWiddle-Dum are my new friends....
    Smokin!

Glad you like them! They are pretty good on their own, but on a smaller files you can get like 100% speed boost:-)
    Unfortunately, the effect is less noticeable on the large files, but still you'll get something:-)
    edited January 27, 2007
    S*E v 164 is out
    Numerous usability improvements.

What's new:
    • Upload Queue: added Save Upload Queue item to the upload toolbar and to the context menu.
    • Upload Queue: added Reveal In Explorer item to the context menu.
    • Upload Queue: added Open Image item to the context menu.
    • Main menu: moved View Current Log File menu item into a Log File submenu.
    • Main Menu: added Open Log Folder menu item to the Log File submenu there so it's easy to browse the older logs.
    • Perused configurable proxy settings to multithreaded (MT) upload
      (proxy server, user name, password, port).
    • Improved MT error handling (don't ask:-).
    • Perused configurable HTTP timeout to MT upload.
    • Perused configurable repeat attempts for MT upload (0=ad infinitum).
    V.163 had a "little" bug (upload didn't work at all :whip :bash), so if you got it before I took it off - my apologies, please get 164.
  • steelephotography.comsteelephotography.com Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    New Computer
    Nik:

I bought a new computer. I there anyway I can get my previous program key....

Let me know what info. you need from me...

David
    edited January 29, 2007
    David,
    Nik:

I bought a new computer. I there anyway I can get my previous program key....

Let me know what info. you need from me...

David

Of course there is:-) thumb.gif
    Just shoot me an email and you'll be back in business in almost no time:-) deal.gif
    HTH
    edited January 30, 2007
    Some recent usage info
    One of the useful mantras I use as a developer is "eat your own dog food". Hence all my uploads are done with S*E. If there is anything that stands in my way - it gets fixed, some sooner, some later.

This one was that took me a while to develop, maintain and improve up to the point that it is actually usable:-) I'm talking about autoalbum creation.

Last night I finished uploading a whole 2006 year worth of originals, 12,000+ files, 18+Gb. wings.gif

(The actual originals were RAW, I used CS3 Bridge + ACR4 to convert them all into hires jpegs)

The last update (v.164) was purely instrumental in this action.

First of all, S*E helped me to automatically create 362 albums by simply dropping the root folder into the appropriate category.
    Try to do that album by album and then match each folder (with subfolders) to its pertinent gallery... deal.gif

The the upload itself began...

The multithreaded upload (started with v160) was fast, but a bit fragile. With the errors thrown at it by the SM servers now and then I had to manually resume the upload multiple times.:cry
    Luckily the persistent queue made it only a matter of hitting the same green Upload button again. But it still was a hassle. rolleyes1.gif

So, V.164 came, and this was the last stroke:-) clap.gif

The last big chunk of ~6,000 files, 5+Gb was uploaded in one totally automated way, even though SM servers continued to throw some errors once in a while. Yes, it took S*E 17+ hours at the overall average speed of 85 Kbytes/sec, but it handled all the errors properly and simply repeated the attempts automatically until all the files were uploaded - with zero intervention on my side. :ivar

Finally it looks like I'm able to upload all my archives :-) mwink.gif

Boy, am I glad to have a truly unlimited account :-)
    Thanks, SM! thumb.gif
  • SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2007
    Nik, please buy a mac and write a mac version of this software. I used it when I had a pc and it was excellent. I now use an apple laptop but miss this prog.
    edited January 31, 2007
    Seamus,
    Seamus wrote:
    Nik, please buy a mac and write a mac version of this software. I used it when I had a pc and it was excellent. I now use an apple laptop but miss this prog.

Thank you, appreciate your kind words! thumb.gif
    Re: apple version... Sorry mate... ne_nau.gif I think it will be simpler for everybody to get something like Parallels, at least for now. Otherwise it would take me a few years to learn Mac OS up to the point where I know it at the same degree I know Windows, and hence can create something useful.. rolleyes1.gif

Cheers! 1drink.gif
  • SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thank you, appreciate your kind words! thumb.gif
    Re: apple version... Sorry mate... ne_nau.gif I think it will be simpler for everybody to get something like Parallels, at least for now. Otherwise it would take me a few years to learn Mac OS up to the point where I know it at the same degree I know Windows, and hence can create something useful.. rolleyes1.gif

Cheers! 1drink.gif

I am trying parallels atm. I will have to figure out how to share folders between mac os x and windows to get Star working. It is a great app, nik, and would be worth it for me to rtfm the paralells help pages.
    edited January 31, 2007
    Seamus,
    Seamus wrote:
    I am trying parallels atm. I will have to figure out how to share folders between mac os x and windows to get Star working. It is a great app, nik, and would be worth it for me to rtfm the paralells help pages.

Once you do please let me know so I can put some FAQ item(s). bowdown.gif
    I promise the proper credit and a link to your site:-) mwink.gifthumb.gif
    Ta mate! beer.gif
    edited February 4, 2007
    S*E v 165 is out
    New version has been uploaded.
    Numerous UI-speed and usability improvements.
    Also, after using Multithread mode to upload about 30Gb worth of pictures, I decided it golden for the prime time and made it a default mode (for the new users, that is, current users would need to switch manually)
    Thank you for using Star*Explorer!
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    New version has been uploaded.
    Numerous UI-speed and usability improvements.
    Also, after using Multithread mode to upload about 30Gb worth of pictures, I decided it golden for the prime time and made it a default mode (for the new users, that is, current users would need to switch manually)
    Thank you for using Star*Explorer!
    Think ya mean v166.:D
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited February 4, 2007
    Allen,
    Allen wrote:
    Think ya mean v166.:D
    You've noticed, eh! mwink.gif Now I know that at least somebody's paying attention:-) thumb.gif
    I found a minor glitch (real tiny) and didn't want it to stay there for a week or whatever until the next version.
  • BrianLoweBrianLowe Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2007
    Hello Nik,

I downloaded the v.166 and I was not able to upload anything, nada, zilch:confused.
    So I downgraded and reinstalled V.159 and I am back uploading with no problems:crazy.

And when I say I was not able to upload with v.166 I mean when I click on the upload button noting happens.

Many Thanks,
    Brian
    Nikolai wrote:
    You've noticed, eh! mwink.gif Now I know that at least somebody's paying attention:-) thumb.gif
    I found a minor glitch (real tiny) and didn't want it to stay there for a week or whatever until the next version.
    edited February 5, 2007
    Hey Brian,
    BrianLowe wrote:
    Hello Nik,

I downloaded the v.166 and I was not able to upload anything, nada, zilch:confused.
    So I downgraded and reinstalled V.159 and I am back uploading with no problems:crazy.

And when I say I was not able to upload with v.166 I mean when I click on the upload button noting happens.

Many Thanks,
    Brian

There must be some confusion.
    As I mentioned earlier, I uploaded 30Gb over this week with v.164 (which is v166 minus cosmetics). I also uploaded a dozen images earlier today with v166 and another one just now after I read your message..

Maybe zero timeout? Please review your connection settings and set the parameters to:
    timeout: 256
    attempts: 10
    pause: 0

Let me know (support@starexplorer.com)

HTH
    edited February 5, 2007
    Couple more things
    BrianLowe wrote:
    Hello Nik,

I had that issue with v.163 a week ago for about 30 minutes, before I got it replaced. Maybe you got the bad version? headscratch.gif

In any case, I put a troubleshooting guide today, can you please check it out?

Thanks man! thumb.gif
  • StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    Posted in wrong thread ignore.
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com