Weekly Assignment #127: Time lapse

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited August 23, 2009 in Assignments
(Inspired by a wonderful image of Chris Moore: http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1175102&postcount=1)

The idea is to produce an image different parts of which are captured at different time of day.

You would need a camera, a tripod, probably a cable release and an hour or two around dusk or dawn. RC with time lapse sensitivity can help a lot.

Take multiple exposures of the same scene with the sky ranging from dark to bright (or from bright to dark), i.e. around sunset or sunrise. If you're short on time, just 30 min before and 30 min after should give you a decent choice of frames, but 1 hr before and 1 hr later would make it better.

Once back home, select 5..7 representatively distinct frames, slice them vertically and finally put them into a single image.
Or, alternatively, you can go for a seamless effect and blend several dozens of so of the very narrow slices.

One entry per person. Each entry should include the brightest frame, the darkest frame and the final result (or two if you dare to do both versions:-). Fresh pictures only.
I'd like to emphasize: it's NOT an exercise in HDR. :deal

Let's get time lapsed!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    That image isn't showing up for me. Just the video, which is kinda cool actually.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    That image isn't showing up for me. Just the video, which is kinda cool actually.
    OK, look here
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=139792
    image #3
  • sansmotsansmot Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited August 22, 2009
    This is my first post, so hopefully I won't screw up too badly, but please bear with me if I do.

3847493258_819b1191d1.jpg
    The final image.

The darkest image
    3847481270_c827d188d9.jpg
    The lightest image:
    3847480734_e738b12c8f.jpg
    The lightest photo was about an hour before sunset, and the darkest was about 1/2 hour after. I stopped at that point because the rain clouds turned into rain drops.

Thanks!
    edited August 23, 2009
    sansmot wrote:
    This is my first post, so hopefully I won't screw up too badly, but please bear with me if I do.
    The final image.
    The darkest image
    The lightest image:
    The lightest photo was about an hour before sunset, and the darkest was about 1/2 hour after. I stopped at that point because the rain clouds turned into rain drops.
    Thanks!
    Welcome to Dgrin and to the Class!clap.gif
    Awesome entry! thumb.gif
    I'd recommend to not be shy about layer borders and actually give them a little bevels/shadows (see layer styles in PS) ...
    edited August 23, 2009
    Thanks for the welcome! Also, thanks for telling me how to do the layer borders, I am trying to self-teach PS, so I have LOOONG way to go. How is this?3848692614_b75277202e.jpg
    edited August 23, 2009
    sansmot wrote:
    Thanks for the welcome! Also, thanks for telling me how to do the layer borders, I am trying to self-teach PS, so I have LOOONG way to go. How is this?
    Much better! thumb.gif
    edited August 23, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Much better! thumb.gif

Thanks! This was fun. There is a bridge I may try doing this with soon.