Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2011
    wow...you watching this?
    tom wise
    edited November 3, 2011
    "Mr. Maeda knew that video would be a great feature on the 5D Mark II, but he had to "light a fire under the R&D department" to get it done."
    tom wise
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2011
    This is Laforet's c300 video sample.

http://vimeo.com/30215350

angevin1 wrote: »
    "Mr. Maeda knew that video would be a great feature on the 5D Mark II, but he had to "light a fire under the R&D department" to get it done."
    edited November 3, 2011
    Yep, saw it. Getting very conflicting info on it's resolution.
    tom wise
    edited November 3, 2011
    Laforet calls it 4K in his blog http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/

Yep, saw it. Getting very conflicting info on it's resolution.
    edited November 3, 2011
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    Laforet calls it 4K in his blog http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/

Yeah, thats just it. So does Canon, so I'm a believer, but then I see his monitor says, 2k, and DVinfo says 2k, and so on. Canon explained 4k via there pixel count: with rgb. I figure it has to be 4k otherwise it really could not compete in that market it is in to.
    tom wise
    edited November 3, 2011
    From engadget: "That CMOS sensor offers 1920 x 1080 pixels for the reds and blues and 1920 x 2160 for greens"
    tom wise
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2011
    I retitled the thread for more clarity.

The camera looks amazing!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited November 4, 2011
    Ahhh, 1 red, 1 blue, and 2 green ratio, which is what you would expect.
    From engadget: "That CMOS sensor offers 1920 x 1080 pixels for the reds and blues and 1920 x 2160 for greens"
    edited November 4, 2011
    From LaForet's blog

Sensor: New Canon 8.29 Megapixel Super 35mm Cinema CMOS Sensor – 3840 x 2160 effective pixels

so 3840 is pretty close to 4K.

There are some reports that the body will sell for around $16K (which is 4 x 4Krolleyes1.gif), so it's way beyond what I'd be able to get, but it seems like Canon is really competing with Red et al.
    edited November 4, 2011
    From LaForet's blog

Sensor: New Canon 8.29 Megapixel Super 35mm Cinema CMOS Sensor – 3840 x 2160 effective pixels

so 3840 is pretty close to 4K.

There are some reports that the body will sell for around $16K (which is 4 x 4Krolleyes1.gif), so it's way beyond what I'd be able to get, but it seems like Canon is really competing with Red et al.

Yeah, at first it did seem like that, but then that was before RED's announcement last night for the New Red Scarlet. base priced at $9750, and 14k with kit. beats out C300's base of 20k. I think Canon is using it's knowledge in image processing to bring what it does well to the table, and that makes sense. It'll probably take a year to get some good reliable test comparisons to see what we have. I suspect what we'll have is two very different camera-systems not so much competing as complimenting. Of course the Buzz is all around about that 'mystery' camera laying on the table there last night that "promises" to be a new DSLR to Shoot 4k video with. ANd I have to say, for the first time if Canon does bring that camera to market, I don't think it's price point will be much easier to swallow. I had thought Canon would try to stay withing eye-sight of it's 5Dmk2, but now I figure no way they can do that. I do think it'll be cheaper than Scarlet, but not by much.
    tom wise
    edited November 4, 2011
    I should have watched longerne_nau.gif I'm was in that east coast snow storm with power and internet in and out. Things seem back to normal now though.

BTW I finally watched Mobius at 1080p on a big flat screen. I don't think I have the cred's to be a critic, but I thought the overall image and details were really, really good. Judging colors on a TV is problematic because it not calibrated at all, but I thought they were really good too, certainly the flesh tone looked good. An no dark areas... the film noir effect :D

I'm curious what you think of Mobius.
    Yeah, at first it did seem like that, but then that was before RED's announcement last night for the New Red Scarlet
    edited November 4, 2011
    Had no idea ya'll were into another one up there.

As to Möbius. I actually only watched the "making of" Möbius since I am more interested in the camera than his work.

Out here in the sticks, my Internet is akin to "sticks" being rubbed together to make it all happen. So for me to watch anything, takes time. I have to be choosey. Nice place for a video guy, huh?
    tom wise
    edited November 4, 2011
    Yikes:wow that is bad. Reminds me of when I first started do remote connections to computers for the development I did at the time... some time ago... it was with a 110 baud acoustic modem and a teletype:D

Hopefully a cable company makes it out your way sometime soon!
    Had no idea ya'll were into another one up there.

As to Möbius. I actually only watched the "making of" Möbius since I am more interested in the camera than his work.

Out here in the sticks, my Internet is akin to "sticks" being rubbed together to make it all happen. So for me to watch anything, takes time. I have to be choosey. Nice place for a video guy, huh?
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    A $47,000 10x superzoom... nice.

I wonder where the new 4K DSLR will fit into the lineup. Canon says it's full frame, but they also say that it crops to APS-H when doing 4K video. Then why full frame? Stills? How many megapixels is a full frame sensor with 4K in the APS-H area? Would we have a hi-res studio camera to replace the 1Ds?
    edited November 4, 2011
    A $47,000 10x superzoom... nice.

I wonder where the new 4K DSLR will fit into the lineup. Canon says it's full frame, but they also say that it crops to APS-H when doing 4K video. Then why full frame? Stills? How many megapixels is a full frame sensor with 4K in the APS-H area? Would we have a hi-res studio camera to replace the 1Ds?

Basically they could have that now in the 5Dmk2 via the sensor realestate. They crop the living daylights out of it for 1080 video, which of course is 'almost 2k', as the sensor flys.

That New 1dX I thought was their new hot-rod. I think they of course have that new DSLR out there, but 4k ain't my concern, my concern as it is with others is other options, such as 4:2:2 versus what we have right now. SImply more latitude for adjustment in post, quelling the moire and rolling shutter. Also being able to go to 60p with 1080 would be a huge step. And as I said to Dan earlier, my problem now is I think the price point is going to Stink. I was so stuck on the fact they would find there way to $3k on this one, and now I figure it has to be over twice that. But really really the bigger concern ought to be the application of new tech. If they can apply it, they will also figure out how to bring the price down.

:)
    tom wise
    edited November 4, 2011
    Yikes:wow that is bad. Reminds me of when I first started do remote connections to computers for the development I did at the time... some time ago... it was with a 110 baud acoustic modem and a teletype:D

Hopefully a cable company makes it out your way sometime soon!

Oh yes, it's B.A.D.! I went from some seriously fast Internet last year to now in the boonies @ 10 GB limit which I pay exXtra for and gees...uh you would not believe my Speed-net tests...Just ..just almost non-existent. Cable?? I've had this house out here since the late 70's and Cable..I'd anticipate that sometime in the mid...oh thirties or some such. Really, I figure we'll all be using nodes and mesh by then!
    tom wise
    edited November 7, 2011
    LaForet has blogged a comparison of the C300/Scarlet/Alexis.

http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2011/11/07/these-are-interesting-times-for-filmmakers-the-tools-keep-getting-better/

Basically they could have that now in the 5Dmk2 via the sensor realestate. They crop the living daylights out of it for 1080 video, which of course is 'almost 2k', as the sensor flys.
    edited November 7, 2011

Nice read!

here's one from Prolost: http://prolost.com/
    tom wise