Options

Butterflies with a 100-400L

IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
edited April 13, 2014 in Holy Macro
A trip to the local zoo today and I was debating with myself whether to take my 100L macro lens for the Butterfly house as well as my long lens. I decided not to take the Macro lens and I'm rather pleased I didn't.

First time shooting butterflies with a long lens and I think they came out rather nicely.

All natural light, 1/50th - 1/320th at f/5.6 at 350 - 400mm. I think next time, a smaller aperture would still yield nice bokeh and give me greater DoF on the subject. All depends on how far I have to push the ISO. These were at 100 and 200. I think I'd probably go up to 320 maximum perhaps.

2014-9482.jpg

2014-9483.jpg

Composition isn't great on this one but I still like it :)

2014-9489.jpg

2014-9490.jpg

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2014
    First one is superb! If it was mine, I would use the Flip-Horizontal button in Lightroom. I like that it placed in right 3rd but I would love it if it was facing the other way. JMO.

EDIT: Just realized that won't work. Vertical crop then. Reason is that its back is to the negative space instead of its face. It probably only bothers me. ;o) Cheers!
  • Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2014
    Lovely shots Ian - the longer lens worked well !
    The DOF seems just right to me
    Brian V.
  • Options
    IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2014
    Thanks Brian and Stumble :) I was rather pleased with the results for sure.

Stumble, yeah the dead space is quite frustrating and it would have been nice to have got a second shot but it did fly off when some people walked past.
  • Options
    DeeBugDeeBug Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2014
    They look good to me Ian,good choice!

Davy