Feedback and Critiques

ecphotomanecphotoman Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
edited April 15, 2014 in Holy Macro
I don't really do close up work, I saw some beautiful flowers in my neighbors garden today and couldn't resist. Feedback and critique would be much appreciated.

me8a7ude.jpg

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2014
    Rather like it - nice light and good separation from the background.
    Brian V
  • ecphotomanecphotoman Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2014
    Rather like it - nice light and good separation from the background.
    Brian V

Thank you! Should I have done less vibrance and saturation?
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2014
    ecphotoman wrote: »
    Thank you! Should I have done less vibrance and saturation?

Tricky that one- I didn't notice any playing with the colour but I do not change these in flower shots myself apart from reducing saturation sometimes to stop colours blowing.
    Think it's really whatever you prefer.
    Brian v.
    edited April 10, 2014
    Tricky that one- I didn't notice any playing with the colour but I do not change these in flower shots myself apart from reducing saturation sometimes to stop colours blowing.
    Think it's really whatever you prefer.
    Brian v.

Cool, thanks Brian.
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2014
    I like it. For some reason the color red is hard to accurately capture with flowers. I take a lot of daylily photos and red seems to be the toughest to capture.
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2014
    On bright monitor at work it appears more lively than one I have at home. I think exposure and highlights if present could be increased a touch.

DOF is always an issue with macro, so not sure what f-stop you use, but if there is room to stop down, DOF increases and also lenses are sharper in f-11 to f-20 range. I am having trouble guessing where the AF might have been.

I would also pick a healthy flower as one of the petals at edge is deteriorating.

Like the composition very much and colors are nice too! Needed bit more light to give it some pop.

Keep it up! JMO!
    edited April 10, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    On bright monitor at work it appears more lively than one I have at home. I think exposure and highlights if present could be increased a touch.

DOF is always an issue with macro, so not sure what f-stop you use, but if there is room to stop down, DOF increases and also lenses are sharper in f-11 to f-20 range. I am having trouble guessing where the AF might have been.

I would also pick a healthy flower as one of the petals at edge is deteriorating.

Like the composition very much and colors are nice too! Needed bit more light to give it some pop.

Keep it up! JMO!

It was on my neighbors rose bush. I think I might take a trip down to my local florist and buy some pristine blooms. The AF was in the center of the flower, but I recomposed and I think in this case it may have ruined the focus cause I was facing it from a higher vantage point. I was a f1.8, I think I should have done maybe f8.
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2014
    ecphotoman wrote: »
    It was on my neighbors rose bush. I think I might take a trip down to my local florist and buy some pristine blooms. The AF was in the center of the flower, but I recomposed and I think in this case it may have ruined the focus cause I was facing it from a higher vantage point. I was a f1.8, I think I should have done maybe f8.

f-1.8 explains a lot. You should experiment and see which f-stop you like best for your lens and taste. My suggestion would be f-16 to f-20. Cheers!
    edited April 15, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    f-1.8 explains a lot. You should experiment and see which f-stop you like best for your lens and taste. My suggestion would be f-16 to f-20. Cheers!

I'll keep experimenting. I downloaded an app called photo tools, it has a dof calculator. So far its been pretty accurate with giving me a correct range of acceptable sharpness.