WTB: Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8

Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
edited November 21, 2009 in Nikon Land
I want to buy a Nikon mount Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR DI-II VC... Need to buy it today so it gets here before Thanksgiving! Really don't want to buy a new one, but may have to.

Must be the VC (Vibration Compensation) version.

Ended up going with the Nikkor version.
Jer

Comments

• cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2009
    Must be the VC (Vibration Compensation) version.

Why? Just curious. I have the non-VC one, and it's great. I'm no expert, but I've always been under the impression that at focal lengths like this, the VC/VR/OS isn't really critical.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2009
    Why? Just curious. I have the non-VC one, and it's great. I'm no expert, but I've always been under the impression that at focal lengths like this, the VC/VR/OS isn't really critical.

This is a great example why right here:
    http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47350

f/22 1 second shutter speed... hand held.. can you do that with yours?
    Jer
    edited November 20, 2009
    This is a great example why right here:
    http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47350

f/22 1 second shutter speed... hand held.. can you do that with yours?

I can almost promise that wasn't really hand held, or at the very least it was "hand held" but firmly braced against something solid. Given the level of the photo, I'd say that the camera was resting on some of that black railing.
    My site 365 Project
    edited November 20, 2009
    Well, that may have been the case. Either way, 1 second without a tripod is impressive. I don't make exposures that long hand held so it doesn't matter to me a whole lot.

I need a lens for my D300 thats coming on Monday. I had a Promaster version of the 17-50 2.8 as my main lens when I shot canon. So I'm looking for one that fits Nikon. I figured why not have VC, it makes it easier to take hand held exposures.
    Jer
    edited November 20, 2009
    Well, that may have been the case. Either way, 1 second without a tripod is impressive. I don't make exposures that long hand held so it doesn't matter to me a whole lot.

I need a lens for my D300 thats coming on Monday. I had a Promaster version of the 17-50 2.8 as my main lens when I shot canon. So I'm looking for one that fits Nikon. I figured why not have VC, it makes it easier to take hand held exposures.

I agree, all else being equal, VC is fine. I just bought this lens, however, so my decision was based on price vs. benefit. I thought VC would be neat, but it wasn't worth $200 to me. I am very happy with the non-VC version. I'd rather use a tripod or keep my shutter speed >1/60 or so, and I can hand hold those. Anywho, to each their own, I was just curious why it seemed to be critical to you. No biggie. :D
    My site 365 Project
  • JasonLJasonL Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    j&R
    I agree, all else being equal, VC is fine. I just bought this lens, however, so my decision was based on price vs. benefit. I thought VC would be neat, but it wasn't worth $200 to me. I am very happy with the non-VC version. I'd rather use a tripod or keep my shutter speed >1/60 or so, and I can hand hold those. Anywho, to each their own, I was just curious why it seemed to be critical to you. No biggie. :D

J&R in new york has it, i was playing with it on my d200 on friday, its a really nice lens, built very solid, good weight, and IQ seemed perfect. GO for it, its going to be my next purchase
    So many toy's not enough money !

Nikon D300s. Nikon D40, Nikon FE, Nikon F
    Ansco Ancoset Rangefinder, Rolleiflex TLR Sb800, sb400

Nikon 18-200 VR, nikon 18-55 II, Sigma 10 20 HSM, 50mm f1.8 ai-s, 50mm Non Ai f1.4
    edited November 21, 2009
    JasonL wrote:
    J&R in new york has it, i was playing with it on my d200 on friday, its a really nice lens, built very solid, good weight, and IQ seemed perfect. GO for it, its going to be my next purchase

I'm assuming that its soo new that no one wants to sell it yet... haha

I'm going back and forth between the Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC and the Nikkor 17-55 2.8... I found an excellent condition one for $825... Thinking about it... is it really worth $200 more? I can afford it, I just wont be able to buy other goodies I want.
    Jer
  • JasonLJasonL Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    new
    I'm assuming that its soo new that no one wants to sell it yet... haha

I'm going back and forth between the Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC and the Nikkor 17-55 2.8... I found an excellent condition one for $825... Thinking about it... is it really worth $200 more? I can afford it, I just wont be able to buy other goodies I want.

new = nice warranty!!!! i just sent my 1 year old 18 - 200vr in because the focous motor got messed up. glad i bought it new. free fix !!
    So many toy's not enough money !

Nikon D300s. Nikon D40, Nikon FE, Nikon F
    Ansco Ancoset Rangefinder, Rolleiflex TLR Sb800, sb400

Nikon 18-200 VR, nikon 18-55 II, Sigma 10 20 HSM, 50mm f1.8 ai-s, 50mm Non Ai f1.4