Options

Brief Encounter With A Red Underwing Moth

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited July 31, 2015 in Holy Macro
When I spotted this large moth (Red Admiral size) sunning itself on the brick wall of our hose, I expected that it would not be there for long, as I knew it had just arrived.

The size and pattern told me that this was the Red Underwing Catocala nupta, although the red hind wing was not visible. When it flew off, I was preoccupied with the camera and my wife did not see it go either, so no flash of red was seen.

I went into the house, grabbed my EM-1/Kiron 105 combianation and main flash, picked up my fill flash and told my wife I had something to show her.

Arriving at the moth, I thrust the fill flash into my wife's hand and showed her where to aim it.

The moth had straightened out its legs since I fist saw it and might fly off at any moment. The first shot was aperture priority, with both flash as fill. The warm lighting is the sun's contribution. The second was manual mode with flash as illumination. Both were at f11. I have done a quickie colour balance adjustment on the second image and posted it as the third image.

The moth was facing vertically downwards but I have rotated the images 90 degrees.

Both images have been cropped for composition, the only realistic one for the second was with the eye dead centre. For that one, I missed the near surface of the eye but could not have that and all the other detail, a compromise.

Harold

1167904.jpg?ts=1438323135

1167905.jpg?ts=1438323135

1167909.jpg?ts=1438323135