Options

Mute swan ... scooting / sprinting _2

puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
edited April 1, 2016 in Wildlife
Thought it was about time for a version with lots of stripey bits - just for Jim (pathfinder) :)

Original
http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=210909

pp

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2016
    Incredible image PP! Light, POV and timing couldn't be better!clap.gif
    If one were to be too picky, I would say I wished just a little more room up top...

Cheers!
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2016
    Wow! I love it! Nice work, PP.
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited March 17, 2016
    Spectacular capture!!

I like the composition just fine. The stripey bits don't bother me at all. This is a great demonstration of the water level shooting Paul has on his website.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,806 moderator
    edited March 17, 2016
    A very unique and perfectly executed image capture and processing. Love the subtle tones and high level of detail in the wings.

clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator
    edited March 17, 2016
    Good Heavens! Perfect timing and focus. With a body that looks heavy and wide, you have to wonder how they can fly at all.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    Tony BrittonTony Britton Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2016
    Congratulations on this magazine quality photograph. Sensational work!

Tony
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2016
    Thanks all for stopping by and commenting - much appreciated :)
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    ... If one were to be too picky, I would say I wished just a little more room up top...

Oh, there's plenty of 'room up top' S, 'cos whatever little used to exist between my ears decades ago has leaked out, leaving the yawning chasm that exists today ...

No, you're not being 'picky' - I too would've liked more bg above the subject - since there would've been more great water there, together with other crop possibilities ... however ...

This is frame 6 of 8 of this action.
    Prior to this I'd been photographing another swan (a juvenile) much closer, that was in the water, paddling towards me - so my AF point (on its eye) was the top R corner one of the centre block on the 7Dm2.

Iirc, I then heard the slapping noise of the scooting swan's wings on the water, lifted head (from angle finder) to see where this noise was coming from - and in which direction it was travelling - I moved cam and tried to get a lock.

Many silent oaths were uttered about the AF point location after that, because of what I could see in the viewfinder - but I kept shooting (and) fingers crossed ... and hoped.

Exif shows a 9 sec gap between previous pic and first pic of this sequence and a 2 sec period covering the 8 frames of the action.

A better / quicker / more experienced 'tog than I would've probably shifted the AF point automatically in the 9 sec gap, having assessed the situation ...

I've no idea what others (would) do in this situation - but I'm happy that I got a half decent crop (this represents approx. 60% of orig area) out of it.

Having said all of this, I could probably add more, nicked from the previous frame, since the swan's wings are horizontal, providing a clean bg area.

pp
  • Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,831 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2016
    Great capture - wonderful detail. Wow!!! clap.gifclapclap.gif
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited March 18, 2016
    This is fabulous!

--- Denise
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,034 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2016
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited March 18, 2016

Oh, there's plenty of 'room up top' S, 'cos whatever little used to exist between my ears decades ago has leaked out, leaving the yawning chasm that exists today ...

No, you're not being 'picky' - I too would've liked more bg above the subject - since there would've been more great water there, together with other crop possibilities ... however ...

Prior to this I'd been photographing another swan (a juvenile) much closer, that was in the water, paddling towards me - so my AF point (on its eye) was the top R corner one of the centre block on the 7Dm2.

Iirc, I then heard the slapping noise of the scooting swan's wings on the water, lifted head (from angle finder) to see where this noise was coming from - and in which direction it was travelling - I moved cam and tried to get a lock.

Many silent oaths were uttered about the AF point location after that, because of what I could see in the viewfinder - but I kept shooting (and) fingers crossed ... and hoped.

Exif shows a 9 sec gap between previous pic and first pic of this sequence and a 2 sec period covering the 8 frames of the action.

A better / quicker / more experienced 'tog than I would've probably shifted the AF point automatically in the 9 sec gap, having assessed the situation ...

I've no idea what others (would) do in this situation - but I'm happy that I got a half decent crop (this represents approx. 60% of orig area) out of it.

Having said all of this, I could probably add more, nicked from the previous frame, since the swan's wings are horizontal, providing a clean bg area.

pp

How many times does it happen that we hear the action before we see it?

This often happens while photographing wildlife. thumb.gif

And then you try to scurry around and acquire focus and composition in a big hurry. rolleyes1.gif

It is interesting/scary/exciting when you hear a whale exhale behind you that you didn't even know was there.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2016

pp

Nice play by play PP! Great shot nonetheless! Cheers!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2016
    Sara, Denise, Jo ... thanks for stopping by and adding your comments too ...
    pathfinder wrote: »

And then you try to scurry around and acquire focus and composition in a big hurry. rolleyes1.gif

Reckon someone's been watching me in action (using the term loosely) under normal conditions ..let alone semi panic scenarios ...

pp
  • Options
    wave01wave01 Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2016
    very nicely done
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2016
    A fantastic capture thumb.gifthumb. My second thought was how this so much reminded me of a C130 lifting off.

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2016
    wave, roaddog, thanks for having a shufties and commenting - rd, yes I often wonder similar thoughts after getting this sort of shot (esp Canada geese) ... altho' I hope no C130 ends up with this sort of wing angle.

Thought the last shot of the sequence was a better fit, but after another look, I reckon it's more similar to one of the Antonovs :)

pp
  • Options
    Brian_SBrian_S Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2016
    great image, love the angle captured, exposure is superb, nicely done
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2016
    Thanks, Brian ... (low) angle is standard ... for me, because I prefer the results, image had a bit of messing in PShop ... but not much - for once I got it nearly right.
    Love / hate relationship with these critters - they sometimes offer opportunities (rarely taken) like this, but more often than not - like today, they paddle so close they block off half the lake and the other birds ... and when they're not doing this, they lurk in the bg and render out as oof white blobs - great - not !

pp
  • Options
    fool4thecityfool4thecity Registered Users Posts: 632 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2016
    WOW, Great capture with stunning detail.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2016
    Thanks for the comment, f4tc.

pp