Options

Baby Portraits - Many Questions

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited November 26, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
Well, obnoxiously leaving my business card places I frequent has just paid off. A mother-to-be has e-mailed me asking about shooting a series of portraits of her newborn. I am a bit clueless in this area, as the pricing model I have set up is more for stock/commercial photography and not studio/site portraits. I'm also clueless as far as procedure goes, so I thought I'd throw out some of the many questions that have popped up in my head to the experts here.

1. I have never done set-up portrait photography (I don't count self-portraits). I usually do street candids. I have no lighting set-up. I know the type of lighting needed depends on location, but what are some essentials I really shouldn't go to a portrait shoot without? (In this case, the mother-to-be has asked for the portraits to be inside at her home.)

2. I have seen several amazing photos on this site from baby portrait sessions. Would some of those experts care to share tips, techniques, and general things to keep in mind/do/avoid?

3. What works well for you when charging for this type of job? In this case, the mother-to-be has mentioned wanting a set of black-and-whites for herself and one for announcement cards. Is the best approach a creative fee plus prints? Do you find your creative fee set regardless of the job (portrait vs. commercial) or do you adjust for each type?

4. I am freaking out. What helps stop the freaking out? :rolleyes

Comments

• Options
    ibcrewinibcrewin Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Well, obnoxiously leaving my business card places I frequent has just paid off. A mother-to-be has e-mailed me asking about shooting a series of portraits of her newborn. I am a bit clueless in this area, as the pricing model I have set up is more for stock/commercial photography and not studio/site portraits. I'm also clueless as far as procedure goes, so I thought I'd throw out some of the many questions that have popped up in my head to the experts here.

1. I have never done set-up portrait photography (I don't count self-portraits). I usually do street candids. I have no lighting set-up. I know the type of lighting needed depends on location, but what are some essentials I really shouldn't go to a portrait shoot without? (In this case, the mother-to-be has asked for the portraits to be inside at her home.)

2. I have seen several amazing photos on this site from baby portrait sessions. Would some of those experts care to share tips, techniques, and general things to keep in mind/do/avoid?

3. What works well for you when charging for this type of job? In this case, the mother-to-be has mentioned wanting a set of black-and-whites for herself and one for announcement cards. Is the best approach a creative fee plus prints? Do you find your creative fee set regardless of the job (portrait vs. commercial) or do you adjust for each type?

4. I am freaking out. What helps stop the freaking out? rolleyes1.gif

I do this as a side gig, sort of I mostly shoot the older sibs.. Anyway, I must say the photography aspect of it is a walk in the park, Probably not very different from commercial/product work. The tough part is getting the baby at the right time. Without a mushy face.

Don't worry too much about lighting. Use the fastest glass you have and window light works well maybe a reflector for fill.

If you want to go the flash route. A 48" umbrella will give you a huge light source for a 21" baby.

Pricing - Not sure here I've never done announcements

lastly don't freak out now.. Freak out when you've been there for 40 minutes and have only about 2 decent shots!

Just kidding.. Good luck!
  • Options
    FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    Llywellyn wrote:
    4. I am freaking out. What helps stop the freaking out? rolleyes1.gif

A long walk, yoga, swimming, or... alcohol... mwink.gif

As to fee structure, I'd definitely charge a sitting fee. In that fee include some prints. Then price the additional prints for that shoot a little higher than you would for your stock shots since you're adding in your time value to the print.

My family participated in a free sitting "portrait party" last year. Because the sitting was free (we had a 15 minute slot), the prices for the prints were pretty high, $20.00 for a 4X6, $40.00 for an 8X10, etc.
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
  • Options
    silicasilica Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    I don't shoot babies commercially, but have done quite a few portraits for friends and family. I like using Canon's EF 85mm f/1.2L II lens for this purpose. It is fast and has a great image quality.
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2007
    Thanks, all! clap.gif (Felicia, I'm feeling more relaxed already. rolleyes1.gif)
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    Kerry-

Newborns are tough, i won't lie! The hardest part is working with natural light, as strobes/flash are just too harsh for their underdeveloped eyes. De-cluttering a space near good window light and using fast glass, and maybe a tripod is your best bet.

I have not purchased these but if I were just starting out again, I would get them!

If you let me know the age of the child I'll be happy to dig up some comparable session galleries if you are curious, so you can learn from my mistakes! rolleyes1.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    Kerry-

Newborns are tough, i won't lie! The hardest part is working with natural light, as strobes/flash are just too harsh for their underdeveloped eyes. De-cluttering a space near good window light and using fast glass, and maybe a tripod is your best bet.

I have not purchased these but if I were just starting out again, I would get them!

If you let me know the age of the child I'll be happy to dig up some comparable session galleries if you are curious, so you can learn from my mistakes! rolleyes1.gif

Thank you, Lynne. I'm a big believer in natural light--but I think that's more because I'm terrified of flash. rolleyes1.gif

The mother has said after she has the baby and "the head goes back to a round shape," she'll want the pictures. I'm baby ignorant, so would that be a few dfays or a few weeks old? ne_nau.gif

Thanks for the link to the cards, too!
  • Options
    FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Thank you, Lynne. I'm a big believer in natural light--but I think that's more because I'm terrified of flash. rolleyes1.gif

The mother has said after she has the baby and "the head goes back to a round shape," she'll want the pictures. I'm baby ignorant, so would that be a few dfays or a few weeks old? ne_nau.gif

Thanks for the link to the cards, too!

It depends on the baby. My youngest one's head took 5 weeks to lose it's little hematoma.
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2007
    So...I landed the gig. clap.gif After reading advice here and elsewhere, I asked the mother to find a few examples on my site or others that constituted a "good photograph" for her. The examples she sent back are all studio shots--black backdrop with a spot on the subject. Not my forte, especially since I'm going to be shooting this on site in her home.

So my new questions are: what materials do you bring? Do you bring different types of cloth/fabric for the baby to lie on? Are there simple, "travel" backdrop kits you use? If so, where did you get them or what do you recommend?

I'm thinking of finally investing in the beginner Alien Bees kit, just in case there isn't enough natural light for some shots. Are there particular set-ups with this kit you find work more favorably for portraits?

And are there any questions I'm not asking but should be? mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2007
    Wanted to revive this very quickly to say a big "Thank You" to everyone for your advice and tips. I survived the shoot, though it was still scary as heck. It made me really admire the true pros who make this look so effortless. clap.gif

I posted a few from the session on the People forum here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=76242

Thank you again! thumb.gif
  • Options
    hollychollyc Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    Kerry - those are some great pictures! You did a great job and hopefully this will expand your options in business. You've definitely got a gift. Go get 'em!clap.gif
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2007
    Thank you, Holly! I took a peek at your site, so I appreciate the seniment from someone who obviously knows what she's doing. :D Some very nice family portraits you have there.
  • Options
    Stella BellaStella Bella Registered Users Posts: 104 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    Hey Kerry- awesome job!!! I'm in the same shoes....first real paid gig and its a 7 week old baby!! I'm super excited and have challenged myself not to freak out until the day before ;) The parents seems to be very laid back so I am some interesting thoughts since it is close to Christmas.

Any tips you can share from your experience??

TIA!