Light Meter For Digital Camera - Shooting Landscape

Tom PotterTom Potter Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
edited November 29, 2008 in Technique
Hey Guys,

I'm shooting a Nikon D300. I read somewhere recently that it is wise to use a light meter when shooting landscape. Would this hold true being that I'm shooting the D300?
Also, since I am shooting with a digital camera, is there such a thing as a light meter made specifically for shooting digital as opposed to film? I never used an exterenal meter.

Appreciate the input.

Thx,

Tom
Colorado
Tom Potter
www.tompotterphotography.com
Email: tom@tompotterphotography.com
Landscape, Nature Photographic Prints For Sale
Focusing On Colorado

Comments

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    your "in-camera" meter should do fine, learn your histogram
    and your blinkies on the lcd screen can alert you of over exposure....

great light only lasts but a moment....dont waste time with a external light meter
    Aaron Nelson
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    On a landscape if you simply take 2 or 3 readings from your camera and understand contrast you can usually take 2 shots and get a very good final pic by combining the 2.....most of the time that is done by shoting one shot metered for the fore ground or a shadow area and one for some where near the sky.....that way the sky is not burned up and the foreground does not go black on you.....this is for the times around the sweet light.....not during high sun times when it dang near total overhead (very flat) lighting.....or you can just bracket 3 or 4 stops up and down from the reading your in camera meter gives..........

I do still use a meter but not for landscapes.....I use it out doors for flowers and insects....wildlife no....I just put it on aperture priority and run with it most of the time but i am usually level with my prey or shooting down on them.

For birds I use center spot...not center weighted......but the spot meter in my camera....skys will get blown but the subject is nailed.....if it is a really great sky....I will shoot several shots of the sky and then go bird hunting....

HTH
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Tom PotterTom Potter Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    On a landscape if you simply take 2 or 3 readings from your camera and understand contrast you can usually take 2 shots and get a very good final pic by combining the 2.....most of the time that is done by shoting one shot metered for the fore ground or a shadow area and one for some where near the sky.....that way the sky is not burned up and the foreground does not go black on you.....this is for the times around the sweet light.....not during high sun times when it dang near total overhead (very flat) lighting.....or you can just bracket 3 or 4 stops up and down from the reading your in camera meter gives..........

I do still use a meter but not for landscapes.....I use it out doors for flowers and insects....wildlife no....I just put it on aperture priority and run with it most of the time but i am usually level with my prey or shooting down on them.

For birds I use center spot...not center weighted......but the spot meter in my camera....skys will get blown but the subject is nailed.....if it is a really great sky....I will shoot several shots of the sky and then go bird hunting....

HTH

Thanks a lot - Great info! :O)
    Tom Potter
    Focusing On Colorado
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    Tom Potter wrote:
    Thanks a lot - Great info! :O)

Anytime.......that is why I am here.....to help if I can...........thumb.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    Art is one of the great contributers to dgrin, he explains things very well.
    thumb.gif thanks Art!

Tom, have you ever looked into any dvd's about explanation of "the D300" ? there are some really good ones out there that explain everything about your camera, which is a sweet one btw....

btw, you can prolly goto the dgrin flea market and request "WTB" (want to buy) a dvd on the d300 and pick one up very cheap...infact prolly can find someone to just charge you shipping for it....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Tom PotterTom Potter Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    Art is one of the great contributers to dgrin, he explains things very well.
    thumb.gif thanks Art!

Tom, have you ever looked into any dvd's about explanation of "the D300" ? there are some really good ones out there that explain everything about your camera, which is a sweet one btw....

btw, you can prolly goto the dgrin flea market and request "WTB" (want to buy) a dvd on the d300 and pick one up very cheap...infact prolly can find someone to just charge you shipping for it....

I will give that a look! Thanks much!

Tom
    Tom Potter
    Focusing On Colorado