Options

non-lightbox slideshow from collage gallery?

Sam BreachSam Breach Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited October 15, 2016 in SmugMug Customization
Ideally, I would like my Galleries off my home page to open up in Collage Landscape Style. The problem I have with that is when you click on the slideshow button, or on an image from the collage, it takes the viewer into Lightbox mode at which point all the menus disappear and the only option to navigate elsewhere is to click on the X in the top right to exit the lightbox.

What I would like is for the user to click on an image in any gallery with the Collage Landscape view and for it to open the image as a slideshow content block for that gallery instead of a lightbox. I had to change all my galleries to slideshow, so the menus stay on screen all the time but really I would prefer it if the viewer first sees a collage overview of the entire gallery before starting up a (non-lightbox) slideshow.
Does anyone know if there is a way to do what I am imagining?

Thanks

www.sambreach.com

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited October 14, 2016
    The only way I can think of is to create two different galleries, one in collage landscape style and one in slideshow style. You only need the photos loaded into one of the galleries; the other can be a smart gallery with a rule specifying that the photos come from a specified gallery.

I would set one of the galleries (probably the one set to collage landscape) to public and the other to unlisted. This would allow you to show only one of the two galleries in your /browse page.

You could add a link in the gallery description to switch to the other gallery - title it "slideshow" in the collage-landscape gallery and "collage" in the slideshow gallery.

This is more work than using the slideshow button but it allows you to use the non-lightbox version of the slideshow.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2016
    Thanks Denise. I did end up trying out something similar. I tried it with a folder that had a set of pages, each of which showed one of my images. Then when you clicked on the image because it was actually a page, I sent it to the slide show which I had made sure was showing the same image for the first number of seconds. However, the slideshow size is kind of small, so I am not sure I like the look of it much, maybe I will have to stick with the current method and just accept the lightbox as it is.

The only way I can think of is to create two different galleries, one in collage landscape style and one in slideshow style. You only need the photos loaded into one of the galleries; the other can be a smart gallery with a rule specifying that the photos come from a specified gallery.

I would set one of the galleries (probably the one set to collage landscape) to public and the other to unlisted. This would allow you to show only one of the two galleries in your /browse page.

You could add a link in the gallery description to switch to the other gallery - title it "slideshow" in the collage-landscape gallery and "collage" in the slideshow gallery.

This is more work than using the slideshow button but it allows you to use the non-lightbox version of the slideshow.

--- Denise
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited October 15, 2016
    Sam Breach wrote: »
    ...maybe I will have to stick with the current method and just accept the lightbox as it is.
    I understand your concern about losing the menu but I think the full screen slideshow is a good way to showcase your photos. Your site looks good!

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2016
    Thanks Denise. I was told by someone doing a portfolio review that I absolutely need to retain the menu, but if the software can't do it well, then that is that, I just have to accept it. So instead I changed my gallery thumbnail size from small to large and I think that helps in another/different kind of way - if an Art Director comes to see my work, they will be able to see all the images quite large on one page instead of having to scroll through one by one. I like the overview it gives better than the horizontal scrolling.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I have been working pretty hard on it for a long time. Not a week goes by that I don't change it up a bit! Thanks for your help.
    I understand your concern about losing the menu but I think the full screen slideshow is a good way to showcase your photos. Your site looks good!

--- Denise