Any way to share a folder that is unlisted

KQuinlanKQuinlan Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
edited September 24, 2016 in SmugMug Customization
Is there an easy way to share an unlisted folder full of unlisted galeries with someone? I do not want to use a sharegroup, because then everytime I add a gallery, I have to edit the sharegroup to add the gallery to it.

-Kevin
Visit Kevin On - Twitter | Facebook | Google + | Pinterest

Comments

• omonra21omonra21 Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2013
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    KQuinlan wrote: »
    Is there an easy way to share an unlisted folder full of unlisted galeries with someone? I do not want to use a sharegroup, because then everytime I add a gallery, I have to edit the sharegroup to add the gallery to it.

-Kevin
    Not that I know of. Unlisted means the public doesn't see what's listed so thus no folder listing for the public. This is specifically the problem that sharegroups were invented for. They are unlisted groupings that are not shown as part of your site, but if you pass out the private URL to them, then anyone with that URL can see the listing.

A password protected folder would be another option. The existence of the folder would show to visitors, but they couldn't see inside it without the password.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • NaumsNaums Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    Simply share the unlisted site's URL with whom you'd like to share the site.
    edited August 12, 2013
    Naums wrote: »
    Simply share the unlisted site's URL with whom you'd like to share the site.
    You missed the part it being a folder they want to share. You can share the URL of a folder, but it won't show unlisted galleries that are in it except to the site owner when they are logged in.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • aschendelaschendel Registered Users Posts: 283 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    Can't you unlist the folder but list the galleries and provide them a link to the folder? IF that works, I'm not sure what the implications are of that for Search, Recents, etc.

***EDIT*** ^ is not possible, if you have an unlisted folder you cannot have galleries that are listed/public, more discussion below.

Andy
  • Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    I agree with the original poster and especially not wishing to use sharegroups because of the maint overheads particularly as a lightroom user because I do all my control there.

MY REQUIREMENT -
    I would like to have a private area (Folder structure) within my site which is password protected and only reachable from a menu on the home page as I don't want my older or non-tech savy relatives to have to remember an unlisted URL to see wedding photos etc.
    I do not want this folder listed with my other folders on my home page.

I had thought such a thing would be easy, but I've found it surprisingly difficult. However, I have found a slightly unsatisfactory workaround for my requirements until I learn more or SM changes.

Alan
    edited August 12, 2013
    aschendel wrote: »
    Can't you unlist the folder but list the galleries and provide them a link to the folder? IF that works, I'm not sure what the implications are of that for Search, Recents, etc.

Andy
    Hmmm, folders in the new SM can be unlisted (didn't know that). So, yes maybe you can make an unlisted folder and put public galleries into it.

I don't know what happens with search, keywords, etc... and other ways of stumbling onto photos if you put public folders in an unlisted folder. One would have to test that, I guess.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Lou GonzalezLou Gonzalez Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    I am trying to share a gallery but want it unlisted in case people go sneaking around my site. I did that before with the old SM. It could be unlisted but if I sent them the direct URL, they could see it. Perfect. Now it appears that its either public, or completely off limits to the outside world. Why did they change this behavior? Or am I understanding it incorrectly???
    edited August 12, 2013
    I am trying to share a gallery but want it unlisted in case people go sneaking around my site. I did that before with the old SM. It could be unlisted but if I sent them the direct URL, they could see it. Perfect. Now it appears that its either public, or completely off limits to the outside world. Why did they change this behavior? Or am I understanding it incorrectly???

Have you unveiled yet? Unlisted works like you'd expect in the new SM.

Andy
    edited August 12, 2013
    Have you unveiled yet? Unlisted works like you'd expect in the new SM.

Andy

Yes I have unveiled.

I just ran into this today with a client. I set it to unlisted thinking they could see it if I sent them the direct URL. Nope. They wrote that is showed as "Page not Found". So I set it to public and now they can see it. ne_nau.gif
    edited August 12, 2013
    Yes I have unveiled.

I just ran into this today with a client. I set it to unlisted thinking they could see it if I sent them the direct URL. Nope. They wrote that is showed as "Page not Found". So I set it to public and now they can see it. ne_nau.gif
    That sounds like "private", not "unlisted". An unlisted gallery should be viewable by anyone who has the URL, but won't be listed by default for the public in your gallery listing and won't show up in folder listings either. A private gallery should only be viewable by the site owner when logged in, even if you have the URL.

Unlisted is specifically for cases where you don't want the gallery to ever be shown in a folder listing on your site for the general public, but you'd like to have a gallery that you can pass the URL to specific people who can then view it. That is its purpose.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited August 12, 2013
    Whoa! Ok Hold on.

This was the typical URL I'd send to me clients. I test it through IE (which I am not logged in) and I get a page not found.

http://photos.fernandogonzalez.net/Weddings2012/Wilson/Wilson-Formals-and-Fun-Photos/

But then I send them the URL to the 1st image.... and it works. Hmmm.

http://photos.fernandogonzalez.net/Weddings2012/Wilson/Wilson-Formals-and-Fun-Photos/n-5cwgQ

The top URL used to work last I remember.
  • BigRedBigRed Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    jfriend wrote: »
    Hmmm, folders in the new SM can be unlisted (didn't know that). So, yes maybe you can make an unlisted folder and put public galleries into it.

I don't know what happens with search, keywords, etc... and other ways of stumbling onto photos if you put public folders in an unlisted folder. One would have to test that, I guess.

According to Help:
    "Galleries and Pages within a Folder inherit the privacy setting of the folder."
    I assume that means that a "Public" gallery under an "Unlisted" folder would not show.
    http://www.janicebrowne.com - Janice Browne Nature Art & Photography
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    BigRed wrote: »
    According to Help:
    "Galleries and Pages within a Folder inherit the privacy setting of the folder."
    I assume that means that a "Public" gallery under an "Unlisted" folder would not show.
    I think you'd probably have to go to every page under it and set it to public if that's possible. So they do not inherit.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 12, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    I think you'd probably have to go to every page under it and set it to public if that's possible. So they do not inherit.

That won't work. Privacy settings have to cascade down. It wouldn't make sense to have public galleries in an unlisted folder, as they would appear in search and expose the parent folder.
    SmugMug Product Manager
    edited August 12, 2013
    I have every gallery in my family folder/category using the same password. Should I set the
    same password to the folder so if someone guesses the folder name they can't get in?

If I do will this PW cascade down to any new added galleries?
    edited August 12, 2013
    I have every gallery in my family folder/category using the same password. Should I set the
    same password to the folder so if someone guesses the folder name they can't get in?

If I do will this PW cascade down to any new added galleries?

If you want every gallery to use that same password going forward, I would suggesting using the Bulk Gallery Settings to remove it from the galleries and just setting it at the folder level. Newly added galleries in that folder will automatically be password protected.
    SmugMug Product Manager
    edited August 12, 2013
    Sheaf wrote: »
    If you want every gallery to use that same password going forward, I would suggesting using the Bulk Gallery Settings to remove it from the galleries and just setting it at the folder level. Newly added galleries in that folder will automatically be password protected.
    That sounds great! Will this affect the legacy galleries before "unveil"?

I have 247 family galleries, that's a lot of removal as they are in 31 sub-cat.
    edited August 13, 2013
    That won't work. Privacy settings have to cascade down. It wouldn't make sense to have public galleries in an unlisted folder, as they would appear in search and expose the parent folder.

Maybe I'm missing something, but how do you then suggest people share multiple galleries they don't want to be easily navigated to?

Andy
    edited August 13, 2013
    Maybe I'm missing something, but how do you then suggest people share multiple galleries they don't want to be easily navigated to?

Andy

The same ways you would on the legacy SmugMug platform: sharegroups, passworded folders (which is now far easier), or using a menu with specific pages or folders without exposing your whole navigation.
    SmugMug Product Manager
    edited August 13, 2013
    That sounds great! Will this affect the legacy galleries before "unveil"?

I have 247 family galleries, that's a lot of removal as they are in 31 sub-cat.

Yes, it would Allen.

There's really not a need to remove passwords from all the galleries, but it would make things more simple going forward.
    SmugMug Product Manager
    edited August 13, 2013

So what you're saying is whatever the top folder (in the root) is set to that's what all other content contained in that folder is set to? Eek.

I used to have this setup in the legacy and it worked great. I'll use the old terms for clarity.

Weddings_2012(Category) <
    This level (if a customer tried to navigate to it) was hidden via CSS code from clients. Great.
    Wilson(Subcategory) <
    I would share the subcategory link with the client. They can see only their galleries. Wonderful!
    Pre-Ceremony (Gallery)
    The Wedding (Gallery)
    Formals and Portraits (Gallery)
    The Reception (Gallery)

Now if I set Weddings_2012 to unlisted it hides everything below it. Not great!

How do I replicate my old setup in the new SM?
    edited August 13, 2013
    So what you're saying is whatever the top folder (in the root) is set to that's what all other content contained in that folder is set to? Eek.

I used to have this setup in the legacy and it worked great. I'll use the old terms for clarity.

This level (if a customer tried to navigate to it) was hidden via CSS code from clients. Great.
    Wilson(Subcategory) <
    I would share the subcategory link with the client. They can see only their galleries. Wonderful!
    Pre-Ceremony (Gallery)
    The Wedding (Gallery)
    The Reception (Gallery)

You create a sharegroup, put the gallery in it and share the sharegroup. That's what they are for (sharing a collection of galleries, including unlisted ones).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited August 13, 2013

Wilson(Subcategory) <
    Pre-Ceremony (Gallery)
    The Wedding (Gallery)
    The Reception (Gallery)

Aside from the sharegroup suggestion from jfriend, I don't really see how this is any different than before except that you won't need to use CSS. Just expose the Subcategory on whatever page you want, but don't expose the Category. If you want to prevent people from navigating back up the breadcrumb, just get rid of the breadcrumb in that Subcategory.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • MotoriderMotorider Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    Sheaf. While I'm relatively new to working within SmugMug, I'm not inexperienced on a computer. I'm trying to setup my 1st website right now with SM & believe the new SM layout is powerful, but it's certainly not very intuitive for me (and others too I see). I do not understand where & how to do the things you are describing previously. Perhaps if I tell you what I'm after you could describe (in very simple terms) how to achieve this.

I want to use my SM site for my business primarily (www.drawntowood.com), but I also want to be able to have files there that are:
    1) Not able to be found by others, but that I use on my site (ie: logos, backgraounds, etc...).
    2) Files (galleries) that family & friends can download & upload to.

I do not want my clients to see any of the family/friends structure.
    I have been struggling for weeks now with how SM handles the unlisted items. Perhaps it has something to do with how they are included in my site page layouts or maybe it's just getting my head around how stuff is organized (organizer) vs how it's layed out (customize site) vs security levels? At this point after searching & reading I feel more confused & frustrated than ever. It seems to me that this stuff is more complicated than it needs to be & that there are too many places in the SM settings that need to be set correctly for it all to work correctly. Like everyone else, I hope you guys have it all figured out & it's just a matter of me not understanding how it all works. I hope you are able to explain it to me.
    edited August 18, 2013
    OK, does this just happen to me or what? After searching forever on how to do this I finally decided to ask for help & posted it here, & then immediately afterwards I found the answer. DOH!

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=237922&highlight=unlisted

Well, at least I think it's the answer to my question #2 anyway. For anyone else that was feeling like me (and in an effort to help me remember how to do this) the problem I was making previously was that I was getting the URL for my unlisted galleries (that I would send to my family) from >> Organize Site >> Gallery Settings >> Basics >> Custom URL which would not work for them (ie: http://www.drawntowood.com/Personal/Friends/Pinto-Lake-Hike-2013). Whereas if I copied the URL while actually viewing the gallery (while logged in) it would work for them (ie: http://www.drawntowood.com/Personal/Friends/Pinto-Lake-Hike-2013/n-Lx6gq).

As for my question #1, I think all that I have to do is make sure that my site files folder (which contains my logos, etc...) is public, but not in any of the folders that I want to show to people (ie: folders that are exposed via my site layout/design).

Now, if anyone wants to slap me upside the back of the head I'm ready....
    edited August 18, 2013
    Motorider wrote: »

I want to use my SM site for my business primarily (www.drawntowood.com), but I also want to be able to have files there that are:
    1) Not able to be found by others, but that I use on my site (ie: logos, backgraounds, etc...).
    2) Files (galleries) that family & friends can download & upload to.

I do not want my clients to see any of the family/friends structure.

There are a couple different things you could do. Your site files for logos, backgrounds, etc. could simply be in an unlisted Folder. You can use them in your site design, but nobody would be able to easily browse to them unless you wanted them to.

For your friends/family, I would use a Folder with a password that you give out to just the people you want to share it with.

Another option is to more tightly control the browsing of your business folders and galleries. For my wife's business site, we just created a custom page with a Folders content block and hand-picked the folders she wanted to expose. Then we put that in her menu instead of a link to the 'browse' page.
    SmugMug Product Manager
    edited August 19, 2013
    Having the site files in an Unlisted folder makes sense to me Sheaf, but I'm pretty sure I tried that before & it didn't work. Anyway, it seems to be working now.

Passwording the family pics folder sounds like a good idea. Should they still be Unlisted folders?

Yes, I'm starting to understand how to select individual folders to show for clients rather than allowing them access to an entire directory.

Thank you.
    edited August 19, 2013
    Motorider wrote: »
    Passwording the family pics folder sounds like a good idea. Should they still be Unlisted folders?

Nope. Make the barrier to entry be a password. No need to make them unlisted unless you have specific ones to hide from people with the password.
    SmugMug Product Manager
    edited August 19, 2013
    ... Make the barrier to entry be a password. ...
    If I add a password to the parent folder and remove the now unneeded passwords from the child
    galleries what happens to these legacy site galleries? I would think it would remove the PW's on those
    also and they have no parent folder with PW.