First go at Engagement & Wedding Photos

Crystal EveCrystal Eve Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
edited September 1, 2010 in Weddings
I am new to the Engagement & Wedding Photography scene (started in Automotive Photography-odd transition I know) and I would like to share a few photos with all of you more seasoned photographers. Feedback is very much appreciated.

The first bunch of photos are from an Engagement shoot. I know the couple well so that made it very easy to capture who they are as a couple. They were extremely happy with their photos!

The second set of photos are also for a couple I know well. I was not the official wedding photographer. In fact, I was there to do Bridal Party make-up so there are many pre wedding photos as you can see. This was a perfect opportunity for me to photograph a wedding without the added pressure. The couple was also very happy with their photos and pleased that I was able to have them edited and delivered in less than 24 hours from their wedding date.

Engagement:

JenCraig1.jpg

JenCraig2.jpg

JenCraig6.jpg

JenCraig5.jpg

JenCraig4.jpg

JenCraig3.jpg

Wedding:

MikeRachel1.jpg

MikeRachel2.jpg

MikeRachel3.jpg

MikeRachel4.jpg

MikeRachel5.jpg

MikeRachel6.jpg

MikeRachel7.jpg

MikeRachel8.jpg

MikeRachel12.jpg

MikeRachel13.jpg

MikeRachel14.jpg

MikeRachel15.jpg

MikeRachel16.jpg

MikeRachel9.jpg

MikeRachel10.jpg

MikeRachel11.jpg
Boudoir | Wedding | Portrait | Automotive

Website | Facebook | Email

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2010
    okay 1st off the engagement shots with him shirtless...really need to go. It screams "cheezy". Otherwise you have some good stuff going on. You have some different and great processing going on here though I would appreicate more sharpness in some shots. Did you add the blur or were you using a TS lesn on few or is it processed blur?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Crystal EveCrystal Eve Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2010
    Shirtless was the couple's idea. Not my suggestion. They wanted them for their bathroom :) I have to listen to the client no matter how cheesy it may be.

Most of the blurring is in post editing. I like the look. The couple in the engagement photos asked for it to be very heavy. Most of the wedding photos are unedited with the exception of making some photos B&W... so no post blurring there.

Thank you for the feedback.

edited August 30, 2010
    Also, these photos are quite crisp on my website. The image quality is toned down a lot once the boarder is added and then hosted to Photobucket. To view them in their natural state you can visit my website. Here is the link for the Engagement Photos and the link for the Wedding Photos.

edited August 30, 2010
    Shirtless was the couple's idea. Not my suggestion. They wanted them for their bathroom :) I have to listen to the client no matter how cheesy it may be.

Most of the blurring is in post editing. I like the look. The couple in the engagement photos asked for it to be very heavy. Most of the wedding photos are unedited with the exception of making some photos B&W... so no post blurring there.

I like bokeh as well..I am a bokeh junkie. But the heavy blurring is spice in my pallete (sp?) not the main course (but you have to please the couple!) By the way where was the ceremony? It looks lile it was done in forest?
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2010
    ...Most of the blurring is in post editing. I like the look. The couple in the engagement photos asked for it to be very heavy. Most of the wedding photos are unedited with the exception of making some photos B&W... so no post blurring there.

The question is, how embarrassed will you be to have done "the look" in 5 years? Maybe you'll just laugh and say "hey, that was popular at the time" ...but personally, I try to be a little more timeless.

So, at the very least, keep un-blurred images on hand, and I would go as far as to say that you should also deliver un-blurred images to the clients. Because that look may not be the hot trend in a few years...

Trust me on this one. I've been around for at least 5 years, and have studied the trends over the past 10-20 years. You want to go for timeless, or at least ALSO deliver "timeless" separately, when the couple asks for the latest hip processing style.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    edited August 30, 2010
    The question is, how embarrassed will you be to have done "the look" in 5 years? Maybe you'll just laugh and say "hey, that was popular at the time" ...but personally, I try to be a little more timeless.

So, at the very least, keep un-blurred images on hand, and I would go as far as to say that you should also deliver un-blurred images to the clients. Because that look may not be the hot trend in a few years...

Trust me on this one. I've been around for at least 5 years, and have studied the trends over the past 10-20 years. You want to go for timeless, or at least ALSO deliver "timeless" separately, when the couple asks for the latest hip processing style.

=Matt=

Noted. This particular session was delivered just as the client ordered. I will deliver both in the future so that the client has options. Who knows, they may prefer the timeless look more than the trendy option.

• heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2010
    Hi Crystal,
    It would be super helpful to comment on your photos if they were numbered.

But, the one I LOVE is the pillow fight shot.... Gorgeous! Just the right balance of motion blur and sharpness.
    (Have to agree with Matthew's comments about blur & timelessness.)
    edited August 30, 2010
    Also, these photos are quite crisp on my website. The image quality is toned down a lot once the boarder is added and then hosted to Photobucket. To view them in their natural state you can visit my website. Here is the link for the Engagement Photos and the link for the Wedding Photos.

I went to your wedding site..I compared the closeup photo of the brides face on here and on the site..they look identical by the way
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2010
    I think they look very good. I agree that the the T/S look is a little much. I am curious how you did it in PS. I think in a lot of them you have very good color. I agree with Qarik that the shirtless engagement photos are a little odd. I think you did a good job though!
    edited August 30, 2010
    Hi Crystal,
    It would be super helpful to comment on your photos if they were numbered.

But, the one I LOVE is the pillow fight shot.... Gorgeous! Just the right balance of motion blur and sharpness.
    (Have to agree with Matthew's comments about blur & timelessness.)

Photos are numbered now :) The pillow fight one is my favorite. I still can't believe champagne was not spilled!
    Qarik wrote: »
    I went to your wedding site..I compared the closeup photo of the brides face on here and on the site..they look identical by the way

I know #10 is not as perfect as it could be but this was not a posed shot. She was moving when I took it. If you think that the rest are as unfocused then I have my work cut out for me!
    I think they look very good. I agree that the the T/S look is a little much. I am curious how you did it in PS. I think in a lot of them you have very good color. I agree with Qarik that the shirtless engagement photos are a little odd. I think you did a good job though!

Thank you!

Yes, the shirtless photos are obviously up for debate but if you knew the couple, it is not out of character for them. To their friends and family, these were their favorite shots :) To all of you, not so much.

The blurred edges were not done in PS. I rarely edit my photos and when I do, I use Picasa. I use photoshop for a lot of things but photo editing is rather time consuming. I try to keep my photos as close to how I originally took them as humanly possible.

• Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2010
    =Matt=

thumb.gif
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • shutterbug616shutterbug616 Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2010
    Hi there,
    Wow so many photos... I will only chime in on the ones that bugged me..Laughing.gif keep in mind that non photographers will love the work you do.. in here.. you've jumped into a tank of man eating fish..Laughing.gif That being said I'll have a bite or two..ok nibble..
    Your engagement shots.. I like, minus the ones with shirt off.. despite what the client wants, I'd not post these on your website.. This is a client specific like, not a popular by demand thing. Close ups of the brides face.. I'm a guy but I'm pretty sure no bride wants a record of even the slightest blemish on their face especially on their wedding day.. avoid those unless its a "Just for fun laugh later" thing. Same with feet, they tend to be dry, lord knows flakey.. I even spotted hair between the last two toes of her left foot. The greens in the other photos appear to be too heavy in green. The table setting.. Stunning set up, but I'd have gone in for some close ups of the glasses, maybe get some of the green leaves and place a few on a plate with a glass shot and taken at a distance. Ok.. I'm done.. I ate more than I intended. Again Keep in mind...that here you will be nickpicked.. its how we as fellow photographers improve our art. I've read alot in this forum, learned alot and I hope I can only pass on the same kind advice given me.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    Noted. This particular session was delivered just as the client ordered. I will deliver both in the future so that the client has options. Who knows, they may prefer the timeless look more than the trendy option.
    Don't get me wrong, trendy is awesome WHILE it is trendy. If anything, it's a great way to make money, and hey business is business.

I only point out the value of a more timeless style for the sake of long-term client satisfaction. If you want to build a business, you gotta think about how you'll be getting clients in 5 and 10+ years down the road. For example, I'd rather not get referrals from clients who saw me doing partial B&W however many years ago...

;-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    Some lovely photos here. You have the knack of making people relaxed and natural.
    edited August 31, 2010
    Yikes! You guys sure know how to make a girl feel nervous! Thank you for the feedback.

• gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    Yikes! You guys sure know how to make a girl feel nervous! Thank you for the feedback.
    No need to be nervous Crystal! Your work is good. The above are just giving you their honest feedback. You can use it or ignore it. It's up to you to decide if the feedback is valid or not.

You captures some great expressions in the wedding photos Crystal. The pillow fight photo is wonderful!
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
    edited August 31, 2010
    gluwater wrote: »
    No need to be nervous Crystal! Your work is good. The above are just giving you their honest feedback. You can use it or ignore it. It's up to you to decide if the feedback is valid or not.

You captures some great expressions in the wedding photos Crystal. The pillow fight photo is wonderful!

Ahhh! Finally a comment that doesn't make my chest hurt :)

Thank you!

I do appreciate the feedback, most of which I am taking. Some things I am more stubborn on. Holistically I agree with the feedback given and will use it in my next round of photos. Will I post another thread? Probably not!

• Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    Ahhh! Finally a comment that doesn't make my chest hurt :)

Thank you!

I do appreciate the feedback, most of which I am taking. Some things I am more stubborn on. Holistically I agree with the feedback given and will use it in my next round of photos. Will I post another thread? Probably not!

I dont want you to not post threads! Trust me I have been slammed with negative criteques many times before! You take them and learn from them! I think your wedding shots turned out awesome by the way!
    edited August 31, 2010
    I dont want you to not post threads! Trust me I have been slammed with negative criteques many times before! You take them and learn from them! I think your wedding shots turned out awesome by the way!

Thank you for the compliment!

I have an idea of how to change things now and I will take it and run with it. Posting threads is not good for my head! Each time I see a post has been made I say "Balls! Not another one!" See, not good for my head ;) I will stick to commenting on other people's posts.

• kyeeziekyeezie Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    I am not a pro that shoots wedding every weekend and this is my own personal opinion.
    First off, the song that pops into my mind when I see the wedding pictures that you posted is Can you feel the love tonight? Because I sure can, and I think it is wonderful to be able to capture it. And not only between the bride and the groom but the wedding party. ( I looked at the entire set btw). Some do appear to be sharper on your site. Considering you were not the photographer for the wedding I think they will be happy with them. You were in charge of getting ready and the ones that you took I think captured the moments quite well. The one with her feet where she is laughing, I like. Yes, her feet might be dirty and you can always freshen that up, but it seems to fit her, and look how happy she is! I liked the pictures more as I looked through them on your site. The one thing I did notice was that there were a few shots where it looks like you intentionally photographed the back of heads in the picture. In my own opinion, it is ok a couple times, but not a trend. I also understand it was probably hard trying to work around the other photographer more. Like everyone else said, the blurry might not be timeless but it is what they asked for, and not all of them are. And it does fit the location, I think. Now, the engagement shoots: I really like number 2. I think it is funky and fun and that's how they are. We know that from knowing they are the ones who wanted the pictures blurry and the "topless" ones. But what are you gonna do? Tell him no, you want him to put his shirt back on? You know them so it's not like he is taking his clothes off for some stranger.....just next time don't post them here...obviously rolleyes1.gifYou can let the client know that you will do their style but explain to them about timeless photos. For example, you can tell when pictures were taken in the 80's. But....sometimes you can tell that from the clothes or surrounding too. Maybe do a little less blur and maybe not on all of them. I still like most of the poses and interactions between the two though. Ok, one last thing, I saw pictures of another wedding you did and there were some BEAUTIFUL ones there. 2 that I remember are one of a sweetheart table with the curtains behind and one of the the dress. But I really liked those. One last thing, thanks for reading if you got this far, get a nice hanger to hang the dresses on, it adds a little something. I think if you post other pictures with less or no blur, you will see a lot of compliments!
    edited September 1, 2010
    ^^ Thank you sincerely for your encouraging feedback. I am humbled that you took the time to look through all of the wedding photos on my website and to write detailed likes and dislikes.

The other wedding set was me as the guest and my very first time ever taking pictures at a wedding. At that point, I had no intention of getting into wedding photography... that is until I realized just how special wedding photography really is.

The photos I posted here are very intimate. The photos of the bride's feet are my personal favorite and she posed for them. I would not have done that if she did not want me to photograph her feet. That is who she is and I think it captured her perfectly. Just because you don't typical see a bride's bare feet in wedding photography, doesn't mean it can't be done. Yes, I could clean them up and in the future, I will. This thread has taught me a lot (scared me a little too!) but I intend to keep moving forward and to keep thinking outside of the box. That is what I do.

Thank you again.