Shining seas

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited June 2, 2015 in Landscapes
Tried some new spots and re-visited some previous haunts searching madly for epic light. Didn't find it, but tried my best with what was available.

All harsh criticism and kind comments heartily cherished!

1)
1W7A5994-X3.jpg

2)
1W7A6048-X3.jpg

3)
1W7A6065-Edit-X3.jpg

4)
1W7A6005-X3.jpg

5)
1W7A6021-X3.jpg

6)
1W7A6091-X3.jpg

7)
1W7A6110-X3.jpg

8)
1W7A6148-X3.jpg

9)
1W7A6172-X3.jpg

10)
1W7A6268-X3.jpg

11)
1W7A6259-X3.jpg

12)
1W7A4413-X3.jpg

Comments

• R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2015
    Hi, another clap.gif series of shots. I really like #1, would love to see it in colour as I prefer the composition when compared to #4 - the sky is very moody - the weather must have changed quite quickly?

Cheers, Richard.
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2015
    Taz, ALL the B&W's are outstanding!!!! clap.gifclapclap.gif
    And I LOVE the Oakland Bay Bridge/city skyline shot! bowdown.gif
    Incredible!
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2015
    I was thinking that 1, 4, 6, and 9 all work well. Then I lost count or the list would be longer. Very well done. We don't always get epic light.
  • rbtrbt Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2015
    Lot of good work here - particularly like 1, 6 and 9
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2015
    R.Jay wrote: »
    Hi, another clap.gif series of shots. I really like #1, would love to see it in colour as I prefer the composition when compared to #4 - the sky is very moody - the weather must have changed quite quickly?

Cheers, Richard.

Thanks Richard! Really appreciate it! These were taken on different days so it was overcast on one day and cloudy on other. I would see if color shows something and post! Kind regards!
    edited May 26, 2015
    Taz, ALL the B&W's are outstanding!!!! clap.gifclapclap.gif
    And I LOVE the Oakland Bay Bridge/city skyline shot! bowdown.gif
    Incredible!

Thanks Wayne! Appreciate your support truly! Have a great day my friend!
    edited May 26, 2015
    Cornflake wrote: »
    I was thinking that 1, 4, 6, and 9 all work well. Then I lost count or the list would be longer. Very well done. We don't always get epic light.

Thanks Don, both your guidance and support are valued whole heartedly!
    edited May 26, 2015
    rbt wrote: »
    Lot of good work here - particularly like 1, 6 and 9

Many thanks RBT!! Mean much!
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2015
    Really, really nice work. I recognize #9, "tripod Chasm".

Where is the boat located?

Sam
    edited May 26, 2015
    Sam wrote: »
    Really, really nice work. I recognize #9, "tripod Chasm".

Where is the boat located?

Sam

Thanks Sam! Tripod-Chasm indeed! Both slipping spots are visible. :D

Boat is 'Point Reyes Shipwreck'. Drive to 'Inverness Store' (shows up in apple-map searches in my iphone) and it is right behind that store.
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2015
    Well Taz, you once again inspire. They are all outstanding, but #10 is, IMHO, the best of the bunch..... simplicity at it's finest. And the sky in #12 is perfection.

Ok, so if I have any critique, the shadows on the hillsides in #6 are a little dark for my taste and #8 is my least favorite for reasons I really can't quantify except that it appears a little soft and the composition is a little confusing.

But make no mistake Taz, whenever I see a new series posted by you, I know we are in for a treat and get ready to be humbled!
    edited May 26, 2015
    Cavalier wrote: »
    Well Taz, you once again inspire. They are all outstanding, but #10 is, IMHO, the best of the bunch..... simplicity at it's finest. And the sky in #12 is perfection.

Ok, so if I have any critique, the shadows on the hillsides in #6 are a little dark for my taste and #8 is my least favorite for reasons I really can't quantify except that it appears a little soft and the composition is a little confusing.

But make no mistake Taz, whenever I see a new series posted by you, I know we are in for a treat and get ready to be humbled!

Thanks Jo! Can't say that enough! My quest for feedback and improving is sincere so your input is valued beyond what I can express!bowdown.gif

For #6, I agree that shadows are bit harsh but it was pushed with intention of keeping only two elements alive, light and dark, and thought that details may not be important. This would be a nicely colored shot in winter when a wall of fog doesn't form on horizon everyday.

Agree on #8 as well! Should have changed to wider lens and knew it when I was shooting. I didn't want to bring the rock too far in the middle as I wanted sense of spaciousness on the left, causing it to be too near the edge. Wider lens would have solved that.

Thanks again and kind regards!wings.gif
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2015
    Excellent series! Here are a few comments, since this is what Dgrin is all about.

#1 is fantastic!bowdown.gif I'm not that keen on the other boat shots with the exception of #4 where I like the drama that the dark sky brings.

I like #5, however I would have preferred to have more of the path starting from the bottom right corner of the frame.

#6 and #9 are very nice, but #10 is out of this world clap.gifwings.gifbow!! I love it.

VERY nice work my friend.
    edited May 26, 2015
    Juano wrote: »
    Excellent series! Here are a few comments, since this is what Dgrin is all about.

#1 is fantastic!bowdown.gif I'm not that keen on the other boat shots with the exception of #4 where I like the drama that the dark sky brings.

I like #5, however I would have preferred to have more of the path starting from the bottom right corner of the frame.

#6 and #9 are very nice, but #10 is out of this world clap.gifwings.gifbow!! I love it.

VERY nice work my friend.

Thanks kindly Cristobal! Yes, it would definitely be nicer comp if I included bit more path on #5. I love this spot, and have to try it again! Problem there is the hours they open access to the lighthouse are 10:00-4:00, a.k.a. harsh light.:D

I am so glad you like #10 because in last 2 days of memorial day weekend, that is only shot I managed because everywhere I went, traffic jam caused me to either turn around or not be able to get in!

Cheers Amigo!
  • roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2015
    A great set. #1 is great. #10 is my favorite, simplistic, calm and seemingly isolated, an intriguingly quiet image. thumb.gifthumb

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
    edited May 26, 2015
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    A great set. #1 is great. #10 is my favorite, simplistic, calm and seemingly isolated, an intriguingly quiet image. thumb.gifthumb

Phil

Many thanks Phil!wings.gif
  • rhiturajrhituraj Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2015
    Excellent series, #4 and #10 my favorites thumb.gif

Camera - $1700, Lens - $900, Memories - Priceless | www.rhitusworld.com
    edited May 27, 2015
    rhituraj wrote: »
    Excellent series, #4 and #10 my favorites thumb.gif

Thanks! Appreciate it very much!:ivar
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2015
    More stunning work. Taz. clap.gif You've really pressed to sharpen your skills and it shows. Well done, my friend.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2015
    More stunning work. Taz. clap.gif You've really pressed to sharpen your skills and it shows. Well done, my friend.

Tom
    15524779-Ti.gif
    edited May 28, 2015

Tom

Thanks Tom! My morning and my day is totally made! Perhaps I would be productive at work today!wings.gifD

Thank you again Cristobal!

I have expressed before.....and saying it again....I hope the 'Halt in production' ends!

Cheers!
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited May 28, 2015
    Great series, Taz. Way to get out to the good places in the sweet light hours. I admire your energy, not to mention your patience in getting those super long exposures. bowdown.gif
    edited May 28, 2015
    kdog wrote: »
    Great series, Taz. Way to get out to the good places in the sweet light hours. I admire your energy, not to mention your patience in getting those super long exposures. bowdown.gif

Thanks bro! Can't say that enough! Miss shooting with you! Fog season is here so perhaps fogscapes sometime!deal.gif
  • chaddchadd Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited May 28, 2015
    Beautiful set. My favorite ones are #7.#9.#10.#11
    edited May 28, 2015
    chadd wrote: »
    Beautiful set. My favorite ones are #7.#9.#10.#11

Thans Chadd! Really appreciate the kind comment! Cheers!
  • fool4thecityfool4thecity Registered Users Posts: 632 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2015
    A lot of images to take in all at once... Love them all. If you want so feedback though, I'd say, "Number 2 & 3 are good, but because the others are so much better they don't do as much for me." Great work though!!!
    edited June 2, 2015
    A lot of images to take in all at once... Love them all. If you want so feedback though, I'd say, "Number 2 & 3 are good, but because the others are so much better they don't do as much for me." Great work though!!!

Thanks much! I think that is the consensus regarding #2 and #3! I sincerely appreciate the feedback! Kind Regards!