Headless bride.

david-lowdavid-low Registered Users Posts: 752 Major grins
edited July 21, 2011 in Weddings
Its an impromptu shot where I caught the bride before sitting down. What's your impression?

i-R97V23S.jpg

Comments

• MammaPaparazzaMammaPaparazza Registered Users Posts: 221 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2011
    Ha love it!...except for the plate tho, I wouldn't have know this was a bride...none the less, I like it.
    Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively. - Dalai Lama XIV
    It is vain to do with more what can be done with less. - William of Occam (c. 1288-1348)
  • david-lowdavid-low Registered Users Posts: 752 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2011
    Ha love it!...except for the plate tho, I wouldn't have know this was a bride...none the less, I like it.
    Thanks for dropping by and your comments.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    sorry but the shot is not really doing anything for me. the posing is very awkwards, wardrobe choice I don't get, and the selective color is not working. As far as processing goes, the grooms black attire is clipped and completely devoid of detail and blends with all the shadows. That said, the brides legs are nice and I appreciate you are trying to do something more unique.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited July 18, 2011
    Qarik wrote: »
    sorry but the shot is not really doing anything for me. the posing is very awkwards, wardrobe choice I don't get, and the selective color is not working. As far as processing goes, the grooms black attire is clipped and completely devoid of detail and blends with all the shadows. That said, the brides legs are nice and I appreciate you are trying to do something more unique.

Thank you so much for your honest comments. I'll try to see whether can I recover some details in the grooms suit. I suppose not a problem as I captured in raw.

Its an impromptu candid shot and as it turned out, he seems to be presented with a mysterious domineering wife!
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2011
    Theres an Audi in the shot, so its good.
  • bluelagoonbluelagoon Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 19, 2011
    The intention is good, trying to get different points of view, but Qarik is right about the grooms cloths and the posing.
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2011
    I get the impression hes married to his car more than the wife. Lol.
  • DemianDemian Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2011
    I actually really liked it. The selective color works, and smoothly leads the eye from right to left (at least for me; In pure B&W, I focus on his face first). The three subjects make for a pleasant balance in the image. The one major thing I'd change is his facial expression - he looks a little bored. And a more minor issue: The suit is a little dark. It's tolerable considering the deep shadows in the rest of the image, but I'd still like to see it a little lighter.

Great candid shot, could make an even better staged shot.
    edited July 20, 2011
    Thanks guys for all your comments and pointing out the lose of shadow details, I have somehow managed to recover and I have also brightened up the skirt. Here's the revised image which I'm certainly more happier now.
    I got feedback that this image is evocative enough to stir up alot of talking when friends flip thru' the album. To me, I've succeeded and as long as the client feels good about this picture.

i-q49mWg2.jpg
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2011
    heh..still not doing it for me but at least it is techinically better. If you really want to keep this image I would defeintely see what you can do about his hair just fading into the background..looks like his face is "floating"
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited July 20, 2011
    Qarik wrote: »
    heh..still not doing it for me but at least it is techinically better. If you really want to keep this image I would defeintely see what you can do about his hair just fading into the background..looks like his face is "floating"
    Hi Qarik,

I understand what you are saying and from the purist point of view, you are correct. His hair was unfortunately juxtaposed with the shadow area and whatever details that I can pull from his hair don't seems to stand out or make any difference. I could have done a better job with a blonde. Its a tricky shot shooting black suit against a white car whilst trying to retain details for both. In this instance, his head is resting on his hand, so to me the floating element seems less obvious.

That's the best I can do with this evocative pic (I think) and though technically I can keep it, it belongs to the couple.

Cheers.
    edited July 21, 2011
    Hi Qarik,

Your comments gave me the impetus to relook hard at it again and its certainly a valid one which I initially thought its unrecoverable when I first tried it out. After a few attempts, I'm certainly prefer this last one. Now I'm asking myself how can I overlook all these lose details. Anymore area still bothers you?

i-5VfwzJ9.jpg